Clash of Cultures Game 1

What are the yellow and blue highlights around the squares on the tech board?

when you get that tech, you get either a Happy Face token (Yellow) or a Culture Token (Blue).

1 Like

Events, are they usually bad for the player drawing them? i.e., is a technology rush without the techs that mitigate bad events a risky strategy?

Also, can you share an image of the terrain tiles? I assume that’s significant when thinking about exploration odds.

Good luck everyone!

1: Pay 2 food for Irrigation Advance

2: Collect 2 food (from plains and barren space)

3: Move settler NW. You can place the tile how you best see fit for me. I’ll let you know if I want it changed.

End of 1st set of actions.

Edit: Settler should go NE, not NW.

1 Like

There are only 16 possible terrain types listed here.

TRAVIS/AZTECS
1: Pay 2 food for Irrigation Advance
2: Collect 2 food (from plains and barren space)
3: Move settler NE. Let me know if you want that swiveled.
END TURN

That’s looks fine to me.

ROSS/ROME

Pay 2 food for irrigation (Gain one happiness)
Collect 2 food (Barren and fertile hexes)
Pay 2 food to research Maths (Gain 1 culture)
Pay one culture to activate card, allowing one more action.
Research engineering for free (Because of Maths)
Unlock Aqueducts by having engineering.
Using his 3rd advance will unlock an event.

@Delwayne asked for a die roll:
10d58: 20 + 42 + 33 + 13 + 3 + 38 + 36 + 28 + 47 + 3 = 263

Prior to revealing event card, lets confirm Travis tile placement.

Engineering will also give him a Wonder card… it will be PM’ed to him.

8d8: 5 + 6 + 8 + 4 + 8 + 7 + 3 + 3 = 44

Travis has confirmed. This is the event that has happened…
Pirates Spawn and Raid.
Since there is only one water spot. Two pirate ships will be placed there. No cities adjacent, so no effect. The rest of the card… since no one has any Culture tokens, the card will be discarded.

Next up will be Ben/Persia

Ben/Persia

1. Advance, writing (+1 culture -2 food) +2 cards
    pause here for him to view his cards. He will continue when ready.

15d42: 12 + 35 + 13 + 2 + 16 + 14 + 15 + 35 + 16 + 24 + 14 + 2 + 33 + 25 + 37 = 293
15d38: 17 + 4 + 37 + 37 + 12 + 3 + 28 + 21 + 14 + 11 + 25 + 38 + 7 + 34 + 2 = 290

Can I not move military units until I have tactics?

If that had been barbarians, would Ross have effectively eliminated himself from the game?

Barbarian settlement and 2 barbarian infantry spawn next to only city, move in and take it. Another barbarian spawns, Ross gets a free settler he can’t place and is eliminated.

If it was Barbarian spawn, it would only create 1 barbarian and city near one of his. They do not move unless that person gets another event card which then says Barbarian moves. Usually there is enough time for the player to reinforce their city prior to that happening since you the player controls when the next event card gets drawn. (removal of the 3rd cube from your board)

1 Like

That is correct. No military units can move unless the player has “Tactics”.

1 Like

Move is a separate event, got it. But the rules say you first place a settlement and an infantry, then place one more infantry in any settlement. So that would be two barbarians, right?

1 Like