Call of Cthulhu: Masks of Nyarlathotep 6 (Shanghai)

For the previous chapter, see Call of Cthulhu: Masks of Nyarlathotep 5 (Kenya).

Session 49: A Terrible Miscarriage of Justice If They Don’t Get the Names Right: What could be better than a sanity-restoring cruise?

Session 50: The Nut Monkeys: We arrive in Shanghai, and run into problems outside our usual solution set (money, violence).

Session 51: Panther-Like Thews: A devastatingly powerful weapon? Not in British hands?

Session 52: I Was Thinking of Giant Moths: Further investigation, and we manage to avoid buying anybody.

Session 53: A Moment of Self-Reflection: While trying to avoid certain death, we make some progress.

Session 54: The Darth Vader-sized Buddla: With the Whartson Dice Curse temporarily lifted, we close in on our goal. Whatever that is.

Session 55: As Opposed To Punching Them To Death: To compensate for last week, we scale new heights of incompetence.

Session 56: An Elaborate Group Suicide: Can we finally deal with the unbreakable glass box? Not to mention the strangely charismatic sorcerer…

Session 57: Heavy Shatner: After last session’s exertions, we need a quiet night in our hotel. We aren’t going to get one, though.

Session 57.5: Cholmondeley in the Trenches

Session 58: Plug This Fishy Mofo: At last we set out for Grey Dragon Island. We’ll have a plan by the time we get there.

Session 59: Above the Monologuing and Ornithological Non Sequiturs: Kill the immortal sorcrer, save the world. How hard can it be?

3 Likes

Session 50: The Nut Monkeys: We arrive in Shanghai, and run into problems outside our usual solution set (money, violence).

4 Likes

Session 51: Panther-Like Thews: A devastatingly powerful weapon? Not in British hands?

3 Likes

Session 52: I Was Thinking of Giant Moths: Further investigation, and we manage to avoid buying anybody.

3 Likes

Session 53: A Moment of Self-Reflection: While trying to avoid certain death, we make some progress.

2 Likes

Session 54: The Darth Vader-sized Buddla: With the Whartson Dice Curse temporarily lifted, we close in on our goal. Whatever that is.

2 Likes

Session 55: As Opposed To Punching Them To Death: To compensate for last week, we scale new heights of incompetence.

4 Likes

I do feel that “plumb new depths of incompetence” captures our modus operandi rather better. Scaling heights implies a degree of effort and achievement.

2 Likes

Fair, but we can plummet further from here.

3 Likes

No spoilers, but I think that our general performance in the session last night could best be described as phlegmatic.

4 Likes

Session 56: An Elaborate Group Suicide: Can we finally deal with the unbreakable glass box? Not to mention the strangely charismatic sorcerer…

3 Likes

Session 57: Heavy Shatner: After last session’s exertions, we need a quiet night in our hotel. We aren’t going to get one, though.

3 Likes

And an interstitial episode: what Cholmondeley got up to later.

5 Likes

Session 58: Plug This Fishy Mofo: At last we set out for Grey Dragon Island. We’ll have a plan by the time we get there.

4 Likes

Session 59: Above the Monologuing and Ornithological Non Sequiturs: Kill the immortal sorcerer, save the world. How hard can it be?

And some bonus material, the photograph that we mentioned occasionally (borrowed from the Chaosium PDFs):

Starting at the top:

M’Weru

Sir Aubrey Penhew
Roger Carlyle

Dr Robert Huston
Hypatia Masters
Jack Brady

Insets:

Augustus Larkin
Mukuna M’Dari
Zahra Shafik
Edward Gavigan
Henry Clive

Omar Al-Shakti
Taan Kaur
Carl Stanford
Ho Fang
Ahja Singh

3 Likes

Anyone would think we were hired as assassins.

4 Likes

“So I hear you have an immortal sorcerer infestation. Allow me to present our credentials.”

5 Likes

I really think these sorcerers need to rethink the ‘immortal’ part of their title.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s like “flammable” and “inflammable”…

6 Likes

When the sorcerers make their deal with Gnarly to become immortal, they fail to pay attention to the small print (“except to a somewhat unstable British Army major with a cavalry sabre”). I mean, really, how likely is that to happen?

(A pilot, or a film director, with a shotgun, now that’s another matter…)

3 Likes