Any love for foamcore?... Or... how do I store this thing?

A simple Race for the Galaxy insert…

4 Likes

I haven’t made any inserts in a while due to reasons… but yesterday I finally found myself sitting at the table with a cutter and lots of foamcore and a game that desperately needed some kind of insert: Clank! In Space. As is usual I googled ideas, found a card market tray I liked and without planning ahead more than that got started. The result is… functional enough I guess:

Bottom with player trays, card holders and the map tiles that are all the same stacked up in the center.

Top layer with market tray for standard cards, token tray and space for the clank bag and a few miscellanceous tokens on top.

I noted that I am very much not “in training” right now. Although the thicker version was easy enough, the thin trays were a huge challenge.

Now I need to make a big tray for all the other various map parts that remain. This is about the same mess that Gloomhaven pulls…

I hope with the insert that setup will be faster and that we can start playing with any of the 3 expansions (Pulsearcade, Apocalypse & Cyberstation).

8 Likes

Behold: Orleans and Intrigue in 7" x 4".

This holds almost all of the little bits.

For those of you in the States, small crafts storage at Michaels, ~$7 for a three pack.

6 Likes

Had an additional day off today and decided I had to build an insert for a game that really needed one. I have a few more on my list that „really need one“ but somehow my latest acquisition made it to the top of the pile…

Just four pieces to speed up setup and get rid of the baggies.

The player materials are all in the cloth bags. And in the final version I put the game board on top of it all so I can take it out of the box first. This cannot be stored upright now of course. But I mostly do not store games upright anyway.

That‘s how I tried to figure out how to build the insert :slight_smile: Mostly worked out.

9 Likes

Llamaland was in desperate need of a faster setup and so the foamcore comes to the rescue :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s some skills

3 Likes

Maximum functionality for minimum time. Not a pretty job of it! :grin:

2 Likes

In an excuse to try out my new phone camera and it’s bokeh tilt shift thing. Ride the Rails 3D printed storage

5 Likes

War of the Ring! Got a box!

It’s a recipe box from Michael’s. Quality isn’t as nice as it looks in the pictures but the cost is right.

Game fits nicely. Even some space for an expansion if they decide that that will be a thing here. Having read through the rules and flipped through the cards, it doesn’t feel very expandable; everything is contained and dialed in. But they could expand the system to cover other stories.

It’s filled out a little more since I unwrapped the decks.

And finally, compared to the original packaging…

(I wish I was more of an artist to put those doors of Hollin on the box or even just a well lettered WAR OF THE RING)

11 Likes

I just put in an order for my first ever 3D printed thing: a set of trays for Horseless Carriage.

First things first, I have never had a game so in desperate need of trays, and yet with zero wiggle room for anything thicker than cardboard. Seriously, foamcore wasn’t even an option.

Second, wow, 3D printing is still slow as hell and so expensive! My friend estimated 75 hours and about 6,000 JPY for 617 grams of filament.

7 Likes

I decided I needed the classic that I was missing and so…

Agricola 15 happened. With the missing expansions and sleeves. The box was stupidly big and the insert was crap so I thought I could probably save some space.

You can’t see that each well has a little picture glued in of the component nicked from a file on bgg. Some of my best work yet, I think.
Half the box gone! (Well, one of the two box bottoms).

And yes, I’m missing the blue/green workers. Things are never simple! Lookout are sorting me out :grin:.

10 Likes

I’m not done yet, but a good chunk of Bitoku is done. Pretty proud of this one so far too. Using the Spanish rulebook to cut out icons for the bottoms. Notched two of the trays to fit one of the larger boards on flush with this layer. Just got one more tray for the larger pieces to make for the area they will be to the side of the stacked main board and player boards. You might also notice the tray bottoms are cereal box instead of foam to save volume.

8 Likes

That’s a great repurposing of an extraneous manual. I don’t think I’ll be so quick to recycle any of mine in the future.

3 Likes

Fin!

Edit:Though looking at the pictures I’ve put two of the resources in the wrong places! Oh well.

9 Likes

We are heading up to Boston for three weeks - it’s what is called a therapy intensive where special needs kids get like 6 hours of therapy a day, every day. There’s definitely evidence that therapy works better in a windsprint format than a marathon format - intensity followed by rests.

We, to date, have been doing more of the slow and steady approach.

We may end up exhausted, this may be the best thing ever. Try it out and see? Like the lessons from Netrunner, we’re about to run blind into unrezzed ice and it could break us or could break open the game. That’s gaming life!

Here is the gaming plan:

Before you, you see:

• London 2e
  • Bruxelles 1897
  • Silver Coin
  • Schotten Totten
  • Air, Land, & Sea
  • Fox in the Forest

Fantasy Realms, Mottainai, and Arboretum were also on the docket. I think Mottainai is a better choice here, for a rounded selection, but Schotten went in for teachability reasons. Arboretum is arguably even stronger than Schotten, but I haven’t actually played it.

Trying out some new travel storage. The red one is a Ultra Pro Satin Tower with a section for cards and a section for bits. The green one is an Aegis Guardian something or other (flip and tray?). Ultimate Guard makes a “Boulder and Tray” similar to the Satin Tower - in my research people had STRONG preferences for one or the other there but no consensus. The Aegis Guardian seems to be a common layout and Ultimate Guard again had their own version of it which was more expensive. Here’s the loadout:

The Aegis certainly has a premium feel to it but the result is a larger form factor and a high-friction card tray that is tough to maneuver when loaded. The Satin Tower is a bit hard to snap open but seems a bit more practical - and is half the price.

Anyway, quite likely these won’t come out at all but it is always nice to have the option. And to have a little toolkit here for future travel.

15 Likes

I finally did some foamcore. My contributor’s copy of Rallyman Dirt came with the Folded Space insert.

Dashboards, supposedly more dashboards but I’m using it for miscellaneous bits, time cards, standees, soft tyres, player materials, dice, customisable dashboards, Just visible on the left, one of the two boxes that holds track tiles.

Focus, damage, time attack counters, dashboard customising tools

and more - I may well rearrange these things once I’ve played a bit more.

7 Likes

Is Dirt that much more token intensive? One of the great parts about GT was I could just stuff the all-in pledge into the base box, using a handful of baggies—tiles included. This was with more than adequate organization as well (baggies for each player colour, etc.).

[EDIT] I don’t think that second-to-last pic loaded for me initially, but it says it all.

1 Like

Well, this is a box with Everything - core, Copilot, Climb, 110%, R4, R5 and RX. RX in particular suffered from bloat - it was originally going to be just the bridging bits to play RX races if you already had GT, but a bunch of people said “I don’t have or want GT but I really care about RX races”, so they ended up duplicating a bunch of GT content.

I have an FS insert for GT as well, but I haven’t set it up - like you I’ve got everything in the base box (more or less, I have a bunch of extra dice) and I like it that way. (In fact if anyone would like it and will pay postage / be at Airecon, give me a shout.)

I don’t have all the Dirt tokens sorted out, but a bunch of the ones on the right in the last two pictures are for things like setting up a race series or customising dashboards. Really I want a lot more small compartments…

3 Likes

Looks like I’ve managed to pick up a base set from retail. I feel a bit scummy having done it (my friend has an all-in pledge he added to my GT Adrenaline add-on we’ll never see), but I just couldn’t help myself. Thankfully it looks like it’s gonna be real roomy in there for my copy. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

The precision of this thing is just so pleasing to me. Every millimetre of the box is used, almost as efficiently as it can be, and yet everything is also arranged for maximum ease of use during set up, play, and packing away.

24/26 of those trays are useful and used during the game too, so it massively cuts down on sprawl.

It’s almost enough to make me want my own 3D printer. But not quite.

13 Likes