Anticipated games

Well, if Seafall taught us anything, it’s “have a solid underlying game before you legacify it”.

6 Likes

I think this is basically true. Daviau leaned into this with restoration games but his other sucesses follow this pattern too (Risk).

I think the best legacy games work this way because people have spent a long while to let a game get known and and then the twists are created from a solid knowledge base.

4 Likes

Agreed!

Also, my husband pointed out I don’t particularly like regular Pandemic either and love Pandemic Legacy so my opinion on original may not matter much for the Legacy.

4 Likes

There was nothing on BGG at that time, but I now see:

and

https://regicidelegacy.com/

4 Likes

It’s official…

Seen a quoted post on BGG that it’ll be $119 (about £100). That’s a lot, but it’s got a hell of a design pedigree and I think TTR holds a special place in a lot of gamers’ hearts.

6 Likes

I love the idea of an “our” ticket to ride.

I like what they’ve done here - sort of start like one of those tighter ticket to rides and jigsaw piece making the map. Seems dead cool.

4 Likes

Ticket to Ride is one of my partner’s absolute favorite games. I was talking to her about this and our reaction was a simultaneous, hesitant, “I don’t know…”.

Knowing that it’ll be about $120 and having previously read that it’ll feature a storyline told over 12 game sessions… that’s… $10/session = cheaper than a movie.

But ultimately, would it be “play 12 games and then keep it on the shelf, forever collecting dust”? Seems wasteful to me. But, then again, I’m the guy who has hundreds of unplayed games who are currently experiencing “play 0 games and then keep it on the shelf, forever collecting dust” who all aspire to one day be “play 1 game and then keep it on the shelf, forever collecting dust”.

We are still pondering.

5 Likes

I like Ticket to Ride and for reasons we don’t own a single copy of any of the games… so I am quite excited. My partner has enjoyed our Pandemic Legacy campaigns (#1 and #2 so far, with #0 on the shelf awaiting the fall) a lot and having a personalized recent iteration on a great game… sounds worth the wait :wink:

4 Likes

Im keen on trying this. But 120 is a bit steep. You can get Pandemic Season 1 and 2 with that.

3 Likes

Aaron West (Elzra) posted on BGG about a hopeful if not likely date of June 19th for the launch of Phantom Division on Gamefound. This is the spiritual successor to SEAL Team Flix and I’ve been anticipating the launch for a long time now. So long, in fact, that I’m no longer in a position to back it. We’ll see how things look.

6 Likes

I just got an email from a shop selling a batch of Pokémon cards for 109 pounds almost like it’s a bargain. I must admit it both makes me wince and think that ticket to ride: legacy feels like a better value proposition. Of course everyone finds the value in the thing they love but I just can’t fathom it.

3 Likes

Boo. I’ve been awaiting Heat and its promised late May restock. I’ve got a $10 coupon all ready. Big Flamme Rouge fan, ready for the next thing.

Gamenerdz just raised their prices by $10, likely in anticipation of the restock.

That dog won’t hunt.

6 Likes

Oh dear… I bounced off this so hard. (In slow-motion though, because the game lasted 4.5 hours.)

The tournament is actually tomorrow, but there were a bunch of copies to play today, so I thought I should give myself a foot in the door and get to grips with it beforehand. I withdrew my name from the tournament as soon as we’d finished playing – by that point I’d had more than enough GWTNZ for one weekend.

It’s just too much… the sheer quantity of iconography was appalling, and for the entire duration of the game I could barely take a turn without the aid of the reference manual to try to figure out what on earth any of my available options would actually do. Even if I’d taken those actions before, it would all be a mystery again the next time. I just had no idea how to approach anything, and that’s fine in general with new games – I expect it – but I could envisage it easily taking four full games to start to get my head around it all; and if that means 12-15 hours playing a game just to start to feel I have a semblance of understanding of how to play… Nuh uh. Not doing that.

And the idea of ever trying to teach this… brrr…

The other two players had some experience with other GWT games (albeit not a lot), and they didn’t struggle the same way that I did; but even the winner (who had virtually doubled my score with what seemed like a very solid engine) repeatedly expressed that it was too complicated.

I’m sure it’s a good game in loads of ways, and I imagine lots of people will grok it quickly and love it; but I greatly regret trying it. Surely my least enjoyable day at any Wellycon. I look forward to tomorrow being a marked improvement. I’m expecting to play some games with an old work colleague for starters, as well as checking out Regicide Legacy, so things can really only improve.

5 Likes

I love many of Alexander Pfister’s designs, but I’m always wary because sometimes the man just doesn’t know when to stop. One of the few designers that I don’t immediately want to invest in sequels and expansions, even though some of the things he does are just amazing.

4 Likes

Wondering if this is getting into Vital Lacerda territory, where the games seem to appeal mostly to fans of thatt designer, who want “the thing he does but even more of it”?

4 Likes

I don’t really have a problem with “this is for the hardcore fans of X game” as long as it’s sign posted. Roll for the Galaxy Rivalry was perfect for this - ranting about the price? Great, it’s definitely not for you then! But clearly GWT with sheep is going to attract a lot of people who haven’t even tried GWT before :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

I might have been one of those people. I find sheep more fun than cows.

4 Likes

Well if anyone was looking forward to my thoughts on Regicide Legacy, I can only apologise… I saw it being played, and I chatted to Andy Richdale about it, but sadly I never had a window to sit down and play the prototype.

The new artwork looks very nice though :‍)

What I gleaned from that chat is that each campaign mission will have its own unique set of enemies with their own unique behaviours and rules, and winning or losing a mission will modify your deck in different ways for the next mission.

I didn’t really need to play it to get enthused about a new Regicide game, but I’m sad that I didn’t manage to get a game in at any point over the weekend. (And this comment isn’t making me feel better about that!)

3 Likes

I agree… Pfister is so good but also wildly inconsistent. And all of his games seem to come off the line only 80% balanced. Isle of Skye would be his best work. GWT is also up there but required an expansion and second edition to “finish”. Oh my Goods is one of the few games I’ve sold because I flat-out don’t like it. You could see a good idea and them a series of fixes applied in sequence that made the game worse as they made it better. Expedition to Newdale may be good but same thing, the game is reworked a dozen times in the public space before it gets good.

But I was excited about the sheep here.

2 Likes

IT’S HAPPENING!!

8 Likes