Anticipated games

This should be one to watch…

A new Cole Wehrle. The thread says simple (for him) with a narrative with a beginning, middle and end

8 Likes

Oooooh Kyle Ferrin in space. I feel like void is becoming a quickly overused term.

I read an interesting article (which I now can’t find) during the pandemic that they anticipated a rise in the number of sci-fi shows on tv driven by the ease of integrating green screen and it being easier to socially distance the actors.

I wonder if board games are considering an increased interest in space too?

EDIT: is Jeff Bezos trying to kill captain Kirk?

1 Like

If he doesn’t disappear in the vicinity of an energy ribbon I will be partially disappointed.

1 Like

There’s a glut of new images for The Lost Ruins of Arnak: Expedition Leaders over on BGG and I’ve gotta say, they seem to have nailed it in terms of contents. Seems to be a combination of more stuff (new artifact and tool cards, two new research tracks), plus a few small modules, including the titular asymmetric player boards.

I feel like this is exactly what the game needed to ensure long-term shelf retention. It’s pretty beloved in my household, and among friends, but I’ve always had a suspicion it might grow stale faster than I’d prefer. Not true so far! But that feeling persists.

3 Likes

I share a lot of your feelings on Arnak, and while it’s far from stale for us as well, I’m definitely excited for more.

For me it’s either the assymetric boards or new research track that is the most desired part of the expansion.

2 Likes

Back to next April at best. Ah well.

4 Likes

This just popped up at my preffered OLGS and looks like a controlled take on the ‘bet on race cars genre’

2 Likes

Splotter has announced something new:

Not that there is much to go by. Something something you have a factory and build cars and try to figure out what features will be in demand. I wonder if there will be references to or digs at Kanban?

4 Likes

Speaking of Kanban, I was watching a video of Weather Machine gameplay and… WM is definitely pretty low on my priority list. It looks too disjointed.

Looking forward to seeing more about Horseless Carriage!

3 Likes

I need to have a closer look at Weather Machine. It’s exactly my kind of theme, but I’ve never played any Lacerda games. What about it did you think was disjointed?

1 Like

It’s the typical Lacerda “collect thing a from location b to spend at location c in exchange for thing d,” but it’s very open-ended and the resources are highly-interchangeable between locations. I didn’t watch an entire game, but I definitely noticed some AP from the players because it’s fairly open-ended.

Ultimately, I’d like it to either be more focused, each different lever directly associated with certain resources or actions or whatever; or I’d like it to be more stream-lined, reducing the overall menu of actions to distill down the"engine building" or “resource collection” into a tighter design.

Edit: these are my impressions after watching about an hour of Gaming Rules! gameplay video

2 Likes

I think I’ll pass on weather machine but mr o’toole posted the line drawings of the game board on his Twitter. They look amazing. Also look incredibly busy and that the board may be a bit impractical.

But… damn it’s pretty,

3 Likes

Thing is, I already own far too many 18xx and I feel I’ve got tons more plays of Food Chain and Indonesia. A splotter game played less than 10 times is no where near getting to the subtleties and as they’re so interactive things need some serious stress testing to find out what’s actually there. First 3 plays are effectively random so is it going to get the many plays to be an actual strategy game :man_shrugging:

So I’m unsure, FCM and Indonesia are consistently in my top 5 games so maybe I should. I like the more recent Splotter designs but also can I actually get the time and space to explore this, especially as my life is about to get turned upside down for a few years. Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

5 Likes

I love the Unlock series. My husband and I play them (or did in the before times) on planes and in airports, so I’m officially looking forward to this Game Inception of Unlocks based on other games.

2 Likes

So the Pandemic one, you’re playing Pandemic from that description.

2 Likes

This is madness. I wonder if we’re at a point where someone will wear a ticket to ride t-shirt.

Given I’ve seen people in all sorts of branded T-Shirts, we’ve probably already passed that point

*sheepishly admits to owning and wearing a Pandemic T Shirt

5 Likes

I have two board game-y t-shirts 1.) SUSD’s Future Chess 9000 shirt and 2.) “18xx rusted all my Euros” t-shirt.

3 Likes

I’ve got 4 :grimacing: (unless I’m forgetting some).

3 SU&SD shirts (2 from the original run that they gave me for free for designing the “Pipe Down & Take a Chair” sticker and a Future Chess one) and a UKGE one.

Oh, and 2 generic RPG/dice ones. One of which I am currently wearing (as I just finished DMing a game).

1 Like