Alternative verbs to "play"

I’ve heard it said about Stone Age (a game some feel is too dependent upon luck), but could apply to any game with a random factor. Looking at the gaming apps on my phone, I use probability management on Ganz Schon Clever, Carcassonne, and Cartographers.

1 Like

It was a terrible day when I was explaining to a workmate what I enjoyed about boardgames, and it came down to applying the same thought processes used in work to a more fun process. :tired_face:

On the bright side, the office thinks I’m a goddamn genius for using the FFG rule book + reference book format in our standard operating protocols.

6 Likes

I must admit that I love the word play, because of its happy childhood connotations, but also because in English, it includes acting. Which it doesn’t in Spanish, for example.

I would love a slang term like “boarding” or "dicing’ to settle in. It would totally change my concept for boarding schools. They would be way more attractive that way.

2 Likes

“Gaming” has been used for a long time in my area. Still extremely vague.

3 Likes

Dicing also means “slicing up”

1 Like

Yes, but into cubes. I knew that… years of cooking Jamie Oliver recipes and working in the food industry to blame there.

Ghost Stories?

Nope.

The “probability management” aspect doesn’t come from dice or cards.

1 Like

It’s not Kingdomino is it?

Nope! Not Kingdomino

Quacks of Quedlinburg?

3 Likes

Bingo! 10 points to you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wahoo!! I’ll look forward to frittering these points away on frivolous nonsense.

6 Likes

I usually use the verb “losing”, since that seems to be the result when I play, especially againt the holy terror that is my wife. :joy:

But no, I think it’s gotta be play. I can’t think of a more fitting verb for what you do with a game.

6 Likes