Aire Con 2023 - UK convention

I know March is a long way off, but my wife and I booked for Aire Con yesterday. Would be good to meet anyone who’s going.

3 Likes

Yes, I shall be there! Not sure of exact timings but I’m hoping for all four days.

2 Likes

What’s up with Aire Con? Never been there before

My impression: it’s the largest convention in the UK that’s primarily about gaming rather than selling. So it manages to keep the small convention feel while having lots of people; there are events, a quiz and so on, but mostly in my experience you sit down and play games, and there are enough people that whatever obscure game you have will probably get some takers.

3 Likes

My local lot complained of the volume at the venue last time, but otherwise were positive about the experience

1 Like

My experience has been that the upstairs room is the best for noise levels, rather than the big downstairs bit near the dealers (and the food trucks), but I think they’re using a different bit of the HICC this time.

1 Like

I shall be there too, had a great time last year! Also I didn’t get covid yay.

6 Likes

Airecon is my local (and favourite) convention. Definitely gaming focused rather than selling, although there is a bring and buy and some stalls. I definitely prefer the upstairs in terms of pleasant places to play games, but there’s plenty of space. I’ve found they make a decent effort at inclusivity too - there are gender-neutral loos, quiet areas, and I think everywhere is wheelchair accessible. There’s also a family area for people attending with young children where they have a bunch of games for younger gamers :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only awkward bit I’ve noticed is the transition between the main gaming floor / trade area and the games library, bar, auditorium and access to the upper floor; but even that has a wheelchair lift, just not for my games trolley. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got my stand booked- paying for a retailer stand this time in the hope that I’ll have copies of Damask to sell! Love the convention, and not just because its 15 minutes away from where I work, but also that its a half hour drive from where I live.
It’s also a lot of fun, and where my first game was signed, my second game demoed, and my third and fourth game too.

7 Likes

Just booked our tickets for Airecon. We’ll be there from Thursday evening :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m crossing my fingers that I’m actually in Harrogate that Thursday and not working late. Last year I was amazingly saved by Ofsted

3 Likes

Poutine is back!

Also other, lesser foodstuffs.

Last year I popped out on Saturday to Thug Sandwich, 2A Albert Street, 10am-3pm Mon-Sat. I’d recommend them too.

9 Likes

I’ll be there :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I somehow managed to spend 4 months in Canada without trying poutine, so clearly I must try some in Harrogate.

4 Likes

It’s a very good one, as I recall!

The game selling site for AireCon is live

https://game.airecon.uk/shop/games?name=Root&sort=None&sold=false

Sorry about the Root search!

3 Likes

Anyone who needs a break from the gaming should definitely try out the Turkish baths

3 Likes

If anyone is interested in a copy of Gloomhaven, I’m planning to put mine in the bring and buy for ~£50 but I’m open to offers. I’ll reset it (I used the removable stickers) and it includes the Folded Space organiser and a whole bunch of dice to use as health trackers.

2 Likes

Thinking of games to bring…
Cosmic Encounter
I’m the Boss
Ethnos
Beyond the Sun
Watergate
Underwater Cities
Bohnanza
Race for the Galaxy
Troyes

@RogerBW are you working or attending?

Would be great to get a couple of games in together with everyone attending. @Whistle_Pig do you think you’ll have room to bring Yokohama again please?

I think by the time we’ve cleared the bring and buy it’s going to be mid afternoon on Friday before we can sit down to play anything, and we’ll probably have to turn round and come home by late morning on Sunday.

3 Likes