#174: Combos (title padding)

2021-06-22T10:00:17Z

As far as Walker is concerned, when he says that Mark is a jerk and he smells funny, that’s a prime example of a combo. Mark counters that a perfectly sensible combo is a podcast about board games issuing random observations of silly blockbuster movies. In either case, if you want your mind to break and your conception of reality to weaken, we encourage you to investigate short scale vs. long scale. Numbers are meaningless and all is illusion. Another combo!

01:45 AYURIS: Cloudspire (Josh J. Carlson, Adam Carlson, & Josh Wielgus, Chip Theory Games, 2019)

Games Played Last Week:
04:42 -Merchants Cove (Jonny Pac, Carl Van Ostrand, & Drake Villareal, Final Frontier Games, 2021)
11:12 -Rangers of Shadow Deep (Joseph McCullough, Self-Published, 2018)
14:07 -Dice Miner (Joshua DeBonis & Nikola Risteski, Atlas Games, 2021)
17:34 -Railroad Ink Challenge (Hjalmar Hach & Lorenzo Silva, Horrible Guild, 2021)
19:55 -The Quest for El Dorado: The Golden Temples (Reiner Knizia, Ravensburger, 2019)
24:23 -L.A.M.A. Dice (Reiner Knizia, AMIGO, 2021)
25:29 -Abandon All Artichokes (Emma Larkins, Gamewright, 2020)
26:01 -Horizon Wars: Infinite Dark (Robery Jenkins, Precinct Omega Publishing, 2021)
30:15 -Verona Twist (József Dorsonczky, Mind Fitness Games, 2018)
33:04 -Monumental (Matthew Dunstan, Funforge, 2020)
36:23 -Groundhog Day: The Game (Propsero Hall, Funko Games, 2021)

News (and why it doesn’t matter):
38:45 Castello Methoni and BoardGameGeek News/Store
40:19 Maracaibo digital, mobile only (for now)
40:48 Terraforming Mars: Ares Expedition; should backers expect a game first?
47:46 Send us questions! justrolldadice@gmail.com
48:51 Knizia and Bitewing Games: “Criminal Capers Collection”

50:00 Topic: The Agony and the Ecstasy of Combos

1:10:19 SVWAG Presents: Masterpiece Theatre: Fast & Furious

The discussion on what backers should expect from a kickstarter campaign is an interesting one.

What do you guus expect if you plan to back a campaign?

1 Like

Ultimately, a game. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And mainly, updates. I think if they give you regular updates to understand where the creators are at each stage of the process and why, you can empathize more and being patient gets easier.

This might sound flippant, but I guess I expect what the publisher is promising on the Kickstarter page? I genuinely don’t understand the quantity and intensity of rage about the Ares Expedition stuff. Backers pledged for a Kickstarter-exclusive version of a game with a given delivery date, and that version of the game is actually delivering earlier than anticipated, but Stronghold somehow betrayed their customers because a demonstrably worse version of the game was released earlier than the Kickstarter delivered? I know Kickstarter thrives on anticipation and exclusivity, but it’s bizarre how much people’s satisfaction with the game is tied to how many other people can play it.

1 Like

I just expect the game, and an update if there’s a big delay to shipping. Other than that, I’m happy to judge the product on its own merits. I usually skip or skim most the updates in between unless they go into the game in more depth.

I’ll generally back games if the exclusives are worth it, it’s a lot cheaper as a bundle than retail, and/or it likely won’t be easy to find in the UK at retail.

I find it really weird how many KS backers comment on how ‘fun’ and ‘engaging’ a campaign is, as if the process itself is the entertainment they’re paying for. It’s so strange!!

4 Likes

I’m generally with KIR2 on this – I don’t really care about being the only kid in town with the new shiny. Though if I was promised that, I’ll be mildly annoyed if I don’t get it.

(Rallyman GT got into some shops in North America before it reached KS backers there. This appears to have been a genuine misunderstanding between two separate sets of shippers, one of whom had delays around Christmas and the other didn’t.)

The investor/patron mindset transfers too easily from the little guys, to whom my pledge will actually make a difference, to the big guys for whom it’s just another option for raising money. If it’s “funded in X minutes”, you didn’t need me. Obviously the big guys use every trick they can to make it look as if Your Pledge Matters as opposed to “you’re cheaper than going to the bank for a loan”.

I do still have completist tendencies, but mostly when I back a KS these days it’s either because I don’t think the game will be easy to get in the UK (Rallyman Dirt, Sakura Arms, V-Commandos Ghost) or because it’s a small publisher (Ell Deck, Gladius).

2 Likes