Wot are you playing (video games)

Tiny Tina’s Wonderland is on Steam finally. Our Borderlands group has already logged two multiplayer sessions since Friday :grinning: I love it. All the fun of Borderlands with this RPG campaign run by Tina as the DM … it’s as if Diablo and Quake had a threesome with a D&D campaign run by a rainbow goth

1 Like

Any thoughts on CIV 6, comparing it to 5? I’m seeing it on sale on Steam atm.

1 Like

I’m not really a Civ purist (and for me, Civ 2 will always be the ‘real’ one) but Civ VI is what my other friends online play almost exclusively so I tend to play it by default. It’s very good and very playable, suffers from the ‘late game drag’ thing that all of them do in that every turn towards the end seems to take forever, especially if you’re at war.

3 Likes

Finally sinking into Disco Elysium after greatly enjoying Citizen Sleeper and wanting something else with a strong narrative. Disco Elysium is extremely funny, philosophical, political, smart and as cynical as you want to make it. Really enjoying it so far. The sheer depth and detail are what made me bounce off it the first time, but having waited until I was in the mood for that, I’m finding it a delight now. Strongly recommend if you’re in the mood.

I’ve also been playing with my Oculus again. Demeo is a highly enjoyable VR board game - a fairly basic dungeon crawler but implemented really well and very easy to play with friends online. A great online board gaming experience, even if there’s other board games I’d rather play like this. I’m hoping it paves the way for some other licences like this - Descent would be fantastic in VR.

In stark contrast to the other games, I’ve also been getting further with Half Life: Alyx, which I can only play in short bursts because otherwise I’d have a heart attack. I’m at a point now where the frequent Combine attacks are just starting to become irritating rather than thrilling, but I can’t deny the feeling of holding a grenade until it’s just about to go then throwing it perfectly at a surprised Combine soldier’s feet in VR makes me feel like the coolest human being alive. I just try to ignore the 30 other times I dropped it at my feet, or jumped out on a soldier to execute a perfect headshot and realise that I have, once again, forgotten to cock my pistol after reloading it.

3 Likes

Oh, I’ve also had a brief foray into Tainted Gail: Conquest. I’ve no idea how close it is to the board game (thematically similar I think but not the same). Turns out to be a really great rogue lite Slay The Spire-esque deckbuilder, really good fun and very well written. Recommended, especially if you have Game Pass.

Also, Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course finally came out. Looking forward to playing it with my kids.

1 Like

Also, sorry Gail for suggesting that you’re tainted.

2 Likes

It’s alright, but just like V the AI can’t play the game, and I’ve never tried it multi-player.

I think I’m moving away from overwrought civ games in general, but Old World was a better experience for me. I think it was made from the ground up to be playable by the AI and it shows.

2 Likes

Personally, I only play Civ6 these days (well, not right now though, still busy with Tiny Tina’s Wonderland). I wouldn’t want to go back to Civ5. But as I haven’t played Civ5 in ages… I couldn’t even say why. I have all the DLCs though and like with all recent iterations, I think there is some stuff in at least the first one and maybe even later that is kind of required to make it the full experience.

(here’s a newish article with a comparison Civilization 5 vs Civilization 6 – a clash of civilisations | PCGamesN)

I really enjoyed playing 1 city civs in Civ5 and that is no longer a thing in Civ6. But I also enjoy a lot of the new stuff like districts and improved religions and diplomacy.

2 Likes

I am currently enjoying Slipstream, which I think Yashima played a few months back. It’s… surprisingly satisfying? Just tight little economic loops that never seem to overstay their welcome? And, honestly, the total lack of military is a refreshing change.

I got my first 4-star run last night, and I just learned that you can create routes between planets that already have all their wants met. I haven’t figured out when that “works” and when that doesn’t (other than using the Alt-button view to see if anyone nearby wants to connect to the planet you’re looking at), but it does mean I can be a bit more thoughtful about my runs moving forward.

I’m trying really hard not to buy Cyberpunk 2077. I don’t have the money or time.

2 Likes

To my great joy, my daughter picked up Untitled Goose Game this weekend and has pleased herself with her immediate understanding of how to be an awful goose.

7 Likes

Slipways? I am still playing in between stuff because it’s so quick. It’s very likely to stay in rotation for a good while until something equally short and satisfying comes along.

1 Like

Slipways! That’s the bunny. Yeah, it’s neat! I’m having fun with it! And not expensive either, which is nice!

1 Like

We got a nice big new TV recently, so it’s now possible to play games from the sofa (our living room is a stupid size, so trying to read on-screen text on a 32" was a nightmare). To celebrate, I’ve played some games I’ve previously not got round to.

Well, that was the plan. Really I just played Marvel’s Spider-Man a bit. Really enjoying it. Lovely controls for stuff that should be pretty complicated.

On the other hand, my partner picked up the anniversary edition of Skyrim (for the PS4 as our PS3 is showing its age) and I decided to give it another chance, but no. I still hate it. I hate the combat. I hate the map. I hate every NPC. I hate that it doesn’t care whether you actually engage with the story. Just eurgh all round.

3 Likes

Been replaying Batman: Arkham Knight, this time on my PS5 for quicker load times and no slowdowns. I am challenging myself to finish all the Riddler stuff first, before completing any other mission chain, which is really weird for me, as in the game he really is the lowest threat to Gotham once you rescue Catwoman. This truly is the best of the Batman gameplay. The combat is so smooth and you have so many options. Story is pretty good, too. Too bad the boss fights are not nearly as interesting as some of the earlier games.

Still one of my daughter’s favourite games, though there’s not much to revisit once it’s over.

1 Like

The two player went down very well in my house. Both son and daughter being awful geese.

1 Like

She just allowed me to join in on two player:

“I’m a goose. I don’t care.”

“I’m a goose. I don’t follow laws.”

2 Likes

Setting but no gameplay overlap to speak of.

I saw Doom Eternal on sale, so thought I’d give it a go, thought it would be good simple fun. And…I’m stuck on the first level. After I’d gotten stuck for 10 minutes in the tutorial…sigh.

2 Likes

I bought Expeditions Rome and I love it. It is an RPG with a focus on turn based tactical fights set in Roman history and world (or rather an alternate Roman history, it uses a lot of Rome’s history but changes a lot too).

If you like Roman history or you like turn based tactical RPGs, then I can fully recommend it :slight_smile:

Apparently it is the third part of a series, the second game Expeditions Vikings is way cheaper (because older) but also very good from what I heard. I will get it afterwards.

1 Like