What do you collect (other than boardgames)?

Me too! I’ve had three (I think) now, no regrets. It was also the whisky that got me into Scotch whisky. I also blame it for my soft spot for cask strength whisky.

I’m incredibly jealous. I haven’t even manage to visit any of the local distilleries, let alone any in Scotland itself.

1 Like

And yet graphic designers on modern card games still utterly fails at this!

1 Like

I, too, collect prettiful playing cards.

Not surprising that I have an Art Noveau deck of playing cards.

6 Likes

Well, in Hanabi, that’s deliberate…

2 Likes

I’m very much coveting those Alice cards.

1 Like

The packages are just teasing us… show us some cards :slight_smile: Please?

Are the Art Nouveau actual old cards?

No they are modern cards. They do use Mucha’s art though.

Aces and a Full House

I like the cardback because it mirrors! Only a couple feel a bit male-gazey.

One thing I do (and forget) when I travel is to find nice playing cards. These ones are from Norway. Still kicking myself that I didnt bought one from Edinburgh and Isle of Wight.

EDIT: Included the Zodiac (my profile pic) in the pictures, of course. :wink::wink:

6 Likes

Scotland really is worth a trip if you can find the time and budget (and a driver) for it. These days though everyone and their favorite brewery seems to think they can make whisky (and gin) but all the German ones I’ve tried were way in “meh–that’s supposed to be whisky?” territory… so I have no inclination to visit.

My first ever single malt was a Laphroiag followed by a Lagavulin and it put me off the drink for nearly a decade. In 2006 we visited friends who were spending a year in Lancaster and from there went on a roadtrip through Scotland (in late October, early November when it’s dark around 5pm) without any prebooked B&Bs (wouldn’t recommend trying this now) and I decided I had to figure out why so many of my friends liked whisky. The one that convinced me that there was something to it was the Cragganmore.

6 Likes

Ooft! No wonder. Jumping in at the deep end with those

1 Like

That wasn’t quite by choice. My friends were already in the “it has to taste like you just bit into a burning peat bog or it is unworthy” phase and they felt like I should try the “good” stuff straight away. I still have a strong dislike for Laphroiag (a visit to the distillery confirms so do at least 50% of people who try it and they are proud of it) and I can barely tolerate the Lagavulin taste of burned tires but since then I’ve found several Islay whiskies I enjoy and my acnh island isn’t called “IslayDream” for nothing.

1 Like

So that is the history of that one. Neat :slight_smile:
I love the designs of all those cards.
Does every place have unique cards?
Do you have a German deck of cards? We have a special size with just 32 cards for our favorite German card game…

1 Like

No. I should next time I go there!

1 Like

We have these in Spain, and they are used a lot more than the traditional French deck (diamonds, spades, etc.)

2 Likes

I should not have put them up, now I am craving a game of Mus!!!

1 Like

There are a lot of local card types - this website is a never-ending time-sink if you’re interested in such things: Countries - The World of Playing Cards

Vietnam has two-colour “chess cards” for example:

But lots of countries also have their own games with a standard deck, like the Middle-Eastern “Basra” or Bastra, and Greenland’s “Voormsi”, which uses 36 cards. (I think Sweden/Norway call it ‘Brus’).

It’s a giant rabbit hole, I warn you now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would you consider mah jongg tiles a variant of cards?

ooohhh we do have these in the Philippines, mostly the older generation (who are still heavily Hispanisized). We call them Cuajo. (kwa-ho)

I’ll be going on a wedding in 2021 in Spain - assuming it will continue. I’ll look around for those.

2 Likes

Well, it’s certainly isomorphic; you can get mah jong cards.

Can’t be worse than tv tropes :wink:

The one at the bottom of this page the 32-card Skat deck is exactly the cards I used to play with. The change in the art is minimal. I am reasonably sure my Dad has several of these exact decks at home.

Right now we mostly have 52 card decks from bycicle because the “old” stuff seemed to unexciting. The oldest card deck I have is a 2 x 52 half sized card “Patience” deck which is probably at the root of my solo playing… I used to know a dozen different patterns for Patience games, these days I would be hard pressed to know one.

A little boring I know... but these are probably 30 years old

4 Likes

They’ll be everywhere. Try to get Heraclio Fournier version, they are beautiful.