What are you cooking?

I’ve heard similar stories here in the US. The problem is not typically the foodstuffs, it’s the logistics infrastructure required to refine, package and deliver those items to store shelves.

Additionally, a good number of dry goods industries and companies are decades old and have not had to adapt to massive fluctuations in demand since (if they were in business back then, even) World War 2. On top of that, they don’t really have an incentive to boost production because, sure, bags of flour were flying off the shelves but those stockpiles were just being relocated to peoples’ houses instead of the store or warehouses- the actual rate that they are consumed is probably only moderately in flux and will eventually go back to normal.

3 Likes

Ophthalmologist? Eyes are my thing.

1 Like

Twas but a joke. I haven’t been to see an opthalmologist in decades. Though perhaps I should.

1 Like

In particular, from what I’ve read, on one hand, goods to be sold on grocery shelves have very detailed labelling requirements. Exactly the same goods, sold to the institutional market (restaurants, hotels, and residential facilities such as hospitals or prisons), have no such requirements and are packaged without the mandatory labels. So it’s not legal to sell them as groceries.

And on the other hand, the sizes appropriate to grocery purchases are often different from the sizes appropriate to institutional purchases. So all sorts of perfectly usable food products suddenly need to be repackaged. And there is no institutional machinery for doing so, or even for legally permitting it to be done.

For example, I live in a two bedroom apartment. There is literally no place I could store a 50 pound bag of flour such as dscheidt describes. And flour at least has a long shelf life. If I bought institutional quantities of butter, I expect it would be rancid, or taste of refrigerator, long before I had used more than a fraction of it.

4 Likes

This is absolutely correct and the difference in capital set up for foodservice eggs and bacon vs retail eggs and bacon have led to big issues for both egg and pork belly commodity prices and changes in USDA regulations for egg packaging.

2 Likes

Ah. I should have seen that a mile away :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Well used some sourdough tonight to let the kids make stuffed crust pizza. Turned out pretty good as I inhaled the leftovers while hovering with their plates over the bin.

6 Likes

Today I tried my hand at gnocchi, I think they turned out OK,

I had a few with some par-boiled green beans and a slathering of pesto :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Feeling emotionally fizzy, so cooked though it.
Gyoza, shrimp toast, teriyaki chicken wings.

8 Likes

Just hot smoked some salmon on the barbecue. (gas)

My sister gave me a bluetooth meat thermometer a few years ago and it’s really useful for cooking things on the grill with indirect heat: no need to worry about timing, just watch the temperatures.

6 Likes

The little one’s getting old enough that I can cook fun things once more, so it’s ravioli tonight, filled with fresh ricotta, and topped with… uh, whatever’s sprouting in the garden. I’ve got two hours to figure it out. Loads of time!

ravioli

It’s the usual Mother’s Day plan: what does my wife really enjoy that both kids will happily eat? At least this morning’s lemon-poppy scones went over well. (No picture for obvious reasons.)

5 Likes

I got my mom a regular digital thermometer for mother’s day. She’s never had one before and always asks me how I avoid over cooking meat. That’s how.

Today for mother’s day I made myself (hubby can’t cook) crepes with strawberry compote and creme anglaise. Completely from scratch. Much points to hubby and my brother for keeping the kids away from the kitchen. I don’t use flour much (kids gluten intolerant). But crepes were calling.

7 Likes

Have you tried making crêpes with gluten-free flour-substitute?

3 Likes

I have a bunch of gf flour and can make cookies, brownies, and tortillas.
I would try crepes but not sure how coconut milk would mix with it. I don’t think it mixed well with gf pancakes.
(Oldest is soy tree nuts dairy gluten egg intolerant too, youngest just gluten and tree nuts)
And tons of ASD food texture issues.
But he is a muffin fiend

2 Likes

Dairy, gluten, and egg sure makes it tough on a classic crêpes recipe!

3 Likes

This thread is so much busier than in the old place! I’m guessing the being stuck at home is playing into that tho…

5 Likes

I’m certainly doing a lot more cooking/baking for that reason!

2 Likes

I’m actually doing about the same amount of cooking that I always did. I prepare virtually all the meals for our household. If I do a little more, it’s only because we can’t really eat out, and getting takeout is just a little too much trouble.

2 Likes

I was a meal-prepper before all this started so not much has changed in that regard. Not being able to find certain ingredients has made things exciting and varied however. I’ve not seen dried lentils on the shelves in months!

2 Likes

For the UK folk, if you didn’t notice through the magic of Facebook or whatever, Warburtons released their crumpet recipe. I had an hour free over lunch and had a go, and would you believe it, I can make crumpets.

Yes, they’re Christmas trees.
No, I couldn’t find any round, metal biscuit cutters.
Yes, they actually taste and feel like proper crumpets. Very, very nice.

10 Likes