Wharticulture: A Podcast

I rather like 7th Ed, myself, but I agree with Jon that bigger and prettier doesn’t necessarily improve the content, but the new Masks, for example, isn’t so much bloated as clarified.

1 Like

Ultimately it doesn’t matter for me because I own the game already. It’s like Traveller in that respect: the current version is probably fine and I’d suggest it to new players over tracking down the messy old version, but I’m not going to buy it all again when the old one still works.

7th edition CoC character sheet is definitely a step backwards, though. Really cramped and cluttered.

I’ll definitely agree with that. It really seems to be designed for use as a form-fillable PDF.

The mechanics mean you have to have your full, ½ and ⅕ skill values available, both because of success levels and (if you’re using luck spending) because you need to know how much you need to spend to get a particular level of success. Which is tricky to lay out in a non-cluttered way, at least without a much shorter skill list.

Session 8 - Translating from the Original Mad: The Whartson Hall Gamers discuss Call of Cthulhu (again)

4 Likes

Session 9: So I Let The Dice Fall Where They May…: The Whartson Hall Gamers discuss Tunnels and Trolls

3 Likes

(And for people who have just noticed this thread, Whartson Hall is on iTunes and Spotify now.)

2 Likes

Man, Myth & Magic is garbage, but the adventures appear to have been written under the influence of some pretty good drugs.

On a related note, I now want Whartson Hall to play a game of Timeship. Completely rules as written.

1 Like

As much as I’d be happy to oblige when it comes to many gaming requests, I’m afraid you’d have better luck trying to fire Herbie Brennan into orbit from a ship’s cannon than getting me to play one of his games.

1 Like

“Why wouldn’t I run this under GURPS?”

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m considering the benefits of adapting the MM&M adventure to GURPS.

I am sorry to tell you all I have very fond memories of Brennan’s Grailquest books.

2 Likes

William Barton reviewed Timeship in issue 70 of Space Gamer, which is worth a read

Ah, the old “your character can do it if you can do it” mechanic. Ideal for the GM with a big props cupboard. Here’s a lock. Here’s a ten-foot wall. Here’s a ticking bomb…

3 Likes

10: Are You Putting Your Game Out Of Business?: The Whartson Hall Gamers discuss GURPS (part 1)

4 Likes

Session 11: Think Of Us As a Flange: The Whartson Hall Gamers discuss GURPS (part 2)

4 Likes

Good work team. This GURPS discussion is engaging and interesting. Although, I really don’t know what you were all doing spending time on GURPS in the 80s and 90s, when that could have been more time for Hero/Champions!

3 Likes

< looks awkward, avoids eye contact >

1 Like

The lag on Nick’s audio was really bad this week. I still haven’t figured out what he said to prompt all the avocado comments.

We’ve been talking about this one for a while, and we finally did it:

Session 12: I Remember Beaver: The Whartson Hall Gamers discuss gamebooks

4 Likes