Twilight Struggle tournament - sign-up closes on december 24!

4 in West Germany and 3 in Italy. He played destal early on T1 and I took out all of my influence in Poland and put one in France

2 Likes

Quick update.

@Chewy77 and myself are at the end of turn 9.

We’ve had a lot of cards held from early game. (Warsaw pact and Marshall plan have only just been played.)

After a peaceful early game we’ve been at Defcon 2 for a long time…

1 Like

Let’s be honest, I have been RoosM punching bag for 9 turns. If he hasn’t finished me, it is because he didn’t have the right scoring cards at the right times. I think apart from Middle East, every region score is red right now.

1 Like

Remember final scoring @Chewy77

2 Likes

I did race ahead on board state, but mid game we were balanced in all areas. Me getting Italy through brush war and west Germany through the realignment is probably going to put me ahead in final scoring, but every region has been fiercely contested.

2 Likes

I wear it as a badge now, but thanks for the reminder. It is very present on my mind, and unless there is a mistake by RossM, final score looks very much his to take.

2 Likes

Lost my final game to @Whistle_Pig through another unforced apocalypse!

My contribution has been to make everyone else feel better but I have enjoyed!

5 Likes

Like two big heavyweights exchanging blow for blow, eventually Ross got the better of me. Final score was 41 Red, since I did a very silly mistake just after levelling the score around turn 6 or so, there was only the hope of a fleeting blow that would cause him to make a mistake, which never happened.

Congratulations Ross. I feel like I am bruised even on my passport picture… at least one of us enjoyed that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Now we want to know, what was the mistake?

I’d say this is the first game where I got Twilight Struggle.

And I still have no idea how to play Africa!!

It was a while ago. I had advantage enough on the space race to have Ross play first and see his card, I was using a card that let me discard one of his, but played his card instead (I think it was the V rocket one). From there everything started to crumble, that amazing roll he had in W. Germany had me on the ropes for the rest of the game ( I think I lost like 4 points of influence or more), putting off fires with very little water.

I don’t think I ever had Africa in the blue. I’d say you play it pretty damn well :slight_smile:

Might be a question for @Benkyo . I think Zaire is key. but stability 1 countries make it a constant battle.

Ideally US wants to creep North from S Africa as early as Turn 2 as soon as Defcon hits 2. But you need 3 AR to do it, the last into the non-BG on AR6.

You also want the BG next to France before De Gaulle if possible.

But all this while trying to stay competitive in the early war regions is hard, and if Decolonisation happens first it’s all over. You can hope for Nuclear Subs or maybe Voice of America to fix things, or colonial rearguard to put pressure back on.

1 Like

Not sure if @lalunaverde & @jraven90 are still playing, but given that we already have a clear winner in @Benkyo, I wanted to thank you all for participating in this tournament! I hope you enjoyed starting nuclear armageddons, getting lucky dice rolls and losing to Ben. I’m more than happy to host a second Tekeli’s World Cup, if there’s an appetite for that. And otherwise, I’m always in for a thrashing, so just invite me for a game if you’re interested! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks @qwertysoldier for organizing that. Not that I have any high expectations ( I think I lost all games but one), but what are the final standings? And congrats to @Benkyo, although I think we all knew who was favourite.

1 Like

Tekeli’s first glorious TS world championship deluxe - Standen - Challonge Here they are (without the last game, but one can figure the different outcomes pretty easily)! It’s Benkyo lonely at the top and then a big group in the middle and a few people just below that

3 Likes

Can’t believe I was 3rd! Utterly undeserved.

Thanks for organising @qwertysoldier

It seems to me that the “buchholz system”, used to differentiate between identical scores, presumably only works when all the results are in, and we’re currently missing one. Without that data, it looks to me like you are actually 2nd, along with qwertysoldier, chrislear, and one or the other of jraven90 and lalunaverde.

If anyone wants a game, no-one is currently taking me up on any of the other asynchronous games I listed so please send an invite my way.

Thanks for the games! I may not have won a single one - thanks to @Chewy77 discovering final scoring - but I enjoyed them all and would happily be an easy mode opponent again!

1 Like

I think jraven forgot about the game and still has a day left. I’ll consider that as a lose by default as we are still not at the end of the game

2 Likes