Trying out Modern AGE

Because we all found the Modern AGE Bundle of Holding quite interesting, we thought we’d give it a try…

Session 1 - Dangerous Nature Photography Stuff: Character generation, and our heroes go to a party.

Session 2 - Run Up Your Flagpole: The party has got to the good bit. With automatic weapons and explosives.

Session 3 - I’d Forgotten About the Bomb: Free the prisoner, disarm the bomb, expose the dastardly scheme. How hard can it be?

7 Likes

Enjoy hearing what I wanted to play, vs what the dice gave me… :cry:

5 Likes

Ooh. I picked up that bundle for the Expanse. Interested to listen to this.

I can’t believe you all chose to roll randomly instead of taking the point buy option! Have I taught you nothing?

3 Likes

The point buy option explicitly bars you from getting a +4. (Which happens if you roll a natural 18 on 3d6.)

Did anyone get a +4?

I don’t think I rolled higher than about 14. Didn’t get a +3 anyway.

And yes Jon, I hang my head in shame. All I can say is Shim and Nick tempted me to the dark side by the thought I could roll an 18… :joy:

2 Likes

I got a +4 once the extras were added in, but nothing above a +3 through rolling.

While I’m here, has anyone seen a collection of dinosaur stats for Modern AGE anywhere? I found a deinonychus in the Enemies and Allies supplement, but I was after a few more as I’m thinking how it might work for Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.

Really wish Green Ronin hadn’t closed their forums.

Hmm. Nothing obvious in the Fantasy AGE or Dragon AGE bestiaries. Maybe a mass conversion from GURPS Dinosaurs might be in order?

A bit behind the current state of research, maybe.

Just a small thing, but I believe the Expanse rules explicitly state that if you get a focus twice you can pick another one. I don’t see that anywhere in the Modern Age rules, though . . .

2 Likes

Expanse RPG p. 27 top left “Stacked Traits”. Modern Age p. 13 top right “Stacked Focuses and Talents”. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks MrTim but I think I always had another alternative focus to choose. It was the rolls at the beginning that stuffed me over :roll_eyes: :joy:

1 Like

Same for Tina’s character and mine, I believe, but we’ll check just in case.

Session 2 - Run Up Your Flagpole: The party has got to the good bit. With automatic weapons and explosives.

2 Likes

Session 3 - I’d Forgotten About the Bomb: Free the prisoner, disarm the bomb, expose the dastardly scheme. How hard can it be?

Overall, I think our feeling on this was fairly positive. Too many choices among the stunts, and sometimes it was hard to see how a stunt was applicable, but it worked all right and didn’t throw out too much mechanical weirdness.

2 Likes

I don’t actually know the game very well, guys! I’ve never even played it. I just remembered the thing about duplicate foci from reading through The Expanse!

2 Likes

That makes you a Valued Expert in Whartsonland. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And admirably modest, too.

1 Like

If anyone missed the last Bundle of Holding, be aware that this is up again until 10 February, and the Fantasy AGE/Dragon AGE stuff is being re-bundled alongside it until 22 February.

A copy of the Threefold dimension-hopping setting book arrived here at Perfunctory Manor this afternoon. I’ve been meaning to get it for a while and I am so terribly weak.

Looks excellent, like all of the books in this series. I need to give the rules at least one more read before I dip too heavily into it, though, which is definitely not happening before we conclude our current game of Champions.

2 Likes