The Top 100 Board Games of All Time: Agricola

2024-02-01T14:27:13Z

1 Like

Crap, I got excited when I saw a “new” entry for the top 100 games here, but then realized I’ve already seen this video in the newsletter.

1 Like

Only halfway through but great analysis!

Wait, collectively deciding whether this game belongs in their top 100 was part of the video? Are they planning to film videos where they get that far, explain how to play the game, and then decide “nope, not top 100 material”, but still post it in their top 100 series? Have they each just nominated a bunch of games and all dedicated themselves to playing them and filming a video regardless of the outcome?

Is this “top 100” not going to be in any particular sequence?

Edit: Indeed – they’re going to figure out the relative rankings as they go, so the videos aren’t going to be in any particular order.

I liked the format – brief explanation, then mostly a post-game discussion interspersed with relevant gameplay footage spliced in. It felt different to most of their reviews, and I thought that it worked well.

1 Like

My instinct is that we’ll get a handful of videos over the next year or two before they decide to just move on.

4 Likes

This is the board game equivalent of Top Gear’s “Star in a Reasonably Priced Car”, but with more chaos and less ladishness. Looking forward to the next game - and if they actually do review Monopoly so.

3 Likes

They never did review Settlers of Catan did they?

3 Likes

I thought of this immediately, and y’know, it’s a very good scoring format of “higher or lower than the existing”.

3 Likes

My guess is they have a list of popular games in mind which should get them a good number of videos, but this is definitely a long term project if they are only going to manage one a month or so.

1 Like

I don’t think Agricola would be in my current top 100 (there are 2 or 3 new games in there just from last year) but it’s the kind of important game that makes total sense to have a top 100 conversation about to decide where it goes.

2 Likes

All they’ve said is it is supposed to be classic games. No idea how they’re picking them to start. They announced it in July 2021 and this is the first one.

2 Likes

So the top 100 is a 250 year project?

4 Likes