The Crowdfunding Thread

Petersen… haven‘t I heard that name before in conjunction with crowdfunding disasters?

4 Likes

I don’t know anything of Norway’s history in the second world war but that is very reminiscent of Finland. They did sort of fight on both sides. Basically took on whoever invaded them to maintain independence is my vague understanding.

When I first achieved basic competence with an airbrush a friend got me to spray camo on some nazi vehicles miniatures. This has 2 of the 3 main colours in very similar patterning. Also the triangular type angles in the shape is a pretty direct reference.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is atrocious.

You can get yours delivered, all you have to do is cough up $55 and hope every other person whose game is in the same pallet does so too!

Or maybe you’ll help everyone (on the same pallet) like this guy did with $1000!

4 Likes

Okay, I’m going to break out the :scream: :scream: emoji.

4 Likes

I think the thing that gets me is they won’t carry money over to ship extra pallets from these sales of ‘shipping shares’. Unless they consider that part of general funds where they ship when they can afford. Maybe if a pallet over sells Sandy can eat that month?

More subtly than that it’s hope more people do so on your pallet than any other pallet when they can next afford it when enough people have bought retail products by Petersen Games. It sound hopeful to me for this Kickstarter given how popular Cthulhu Wars is. The other projects though…

4 Likes

[Finland]

They were on whichever side the USSR wasn’t on, for understandable reasons (having only gained independence from Russia a couple of decades earlier). Which went well for them at the start of the war, not so much later.

[Petersen]

No disasters I’m aware of. Positive: Sandy Petersen was the designer of Call of Cthulhu. Negative: definitely a very right-wing guy who of late has made less of an attempt to hide it (e.g. a long “just asking questions” post about transwomen in sports using the exact same language as everyone else who makes that post).

4 Likes

Might have been due to some stuff that occurred in the pandemic years which may not signify after all.

Also, I saw a few threads like this: What to do about Petersen Games?

Because PG funded and delivered 3 Cthulhu Wars campaigns, a Glorantha campaign, a Planet Apocalypse campaign, and (I think) an Orcs Must Die campaign. There were probably a couple other smaller ones too. The biggest red flag for PG, at the time of most of these campaigns, was that they often miss their delivery deadline by 1-2 years.
But, that’s a lot of publishers on Kickstarter. So, if the risk looks acceptable and the game looks fun, then you roll the dice."

Emphasis mine. I picked one of the more charitable posts from the thread to quote. Just shows how easily the most negative reading of it all sticks with me.

4 Likes

Fair enough, I hadn’t noticed those. I did buy Evil High Priest via KS (2½ months late which in Kickstarter terms is practically on time), and I applauded them at the time for including cardboard tokens in the core box and making the plastic bits an extra-cost add-on (if I’d had to pay for them I wouldn’t have bought the game at all).

4 Likes

The awful shipping cost and them being so late for 2 years to deliver is what made me wait for retail with Petersen Games. And it turns out, retail is cheaper lol.

5 Likes

Received these trick takers

9 Likes

No American Bookshop?

2 Likes

Already had it a while ago. And gave away Cinderella’s Dance to a forumite as it’s a 2 player and dont think i need it

3 Likes

Ah, my bad. I thought it was the train from the Liberation of Fouzen…

1 Like

Cyclades Legendary edition is now on kickstarter. I had to read through, because I love Cyclades, but top to bottom was just a “what?”

I think Kemet had some legitimate problems with iconography, turn order, map scaling, etc. That’s why they released a 1.1 and 1.5 ruleset and eventually needed Blood and Sand.

Cyclades doesn’t need a Blood and Sand. The game is perfect. Every change, from the art to the auction tracks to the extra goddess is either superfluous or counterproductive.

I don’t know why that mildly upsets me. I should be glad to have zero need to back. I think I’m angry on behalf of all the people who will now pay extra for what (I believe to be) an inferior experience.

Or maybe I just haven’t played enough to know what the game needs, there’s that too.

4 Likes

Here is a lengthy explanation by the designer or one of them anyway about it all. It’s been a while since I read it and I have not played the original.

5 Likes

What are your toughts on Hades and Titan? I’m probably in the minority where I really like Hades

3 Likes

That is both helpful and unhelpful!

Having the designer map each of the new elements onto the old elements gives a picture of how it all fits together. It makes sense and sounds much more appealing. Hera is really a combination of Kronos and Hades, Heroes kind of replace Titans, etc. And the rule to keep your beasties around by sacrificing priests is very interesting, that was perhaps my main complaint on the original game.

He also explains some of the broken metas that I never encountered in my play, which the superfluous rules are meant to prevent.

But now it sounds more appealing.

I’ll have to wait to see what the unlocks are and maybe wait for retail pricing but now I’m tempted.

4 Likes

I haven’t actually played either though I did get Titans. SU&SD did a good job breaking them down and explaining their own opinions so I believe I’d be in line with their thoughts.

BTW, Cyclades review for SU&SD was about the worst ever (because the entire thing was a big joke). They ended up properly reviewing it in their written Titans review.

4 Likes

Wasn’t their Cyclades review like in the first or second episode of the show? They were a lot sillier back then.

1 Like

I don’t know which one, but it was back when it was really a half hour “show.” They’d have a theme, and running gags, and review 5-6 games during that time. This one was the one where they got picked up by a network, so they “reviewed” Cyclades in a television studio and it was very purposefully devoid of all information, extremely awkward, and gave no sense of the game. Pretty funny, but frustrating when I was trying to actually assess it :slight_smile: Cyclades was on every single “we recommend” list they made but until Titans, they didn’t really explain what it was or why they liked it.

Actual Review (First five minutes)
Hades written Review (Discussion of why base is good and Hades is bad)
Goofy Video (it’s the final segment, 24:00)

4 Likes