The Crowdfunding Thread

I haven’t heard anything from my copy of Ra which will be going to my sister’s in France whenever that is…

4 Likes

Fair. Looks as though I ended up going with “only once per turn, but you can take as many crew as you like with that one action” (presumably so that you can’t hire crew beyond your own ship’s capacity, dismiss them on the planet you’re orbiting, then do it again, all in a single turn).

4 Likes

That makes sense, I’d say it is your ship’s capacity (and financial capacity of course). But in all fairness, in all the games I have played I have never seen a crew member snatched that way, I think I play with people that are not so much into that kind of “nastiness”

3 Likes

Huzzah! (HuzzRa? Razzah?)

This is not a box destined for the “Boxes full of air and other tragedies” thread. Or certainly not for being too empty – it is packed to the brim! Those wooden tiles were originally in the bag; but after I’d looked at them and put them back I was struggling to get the bag back in the box without it bulging above the rim; so I carefully stacked the tiles simply to get the lid back on properly. Fully half of the height of the box comprises sheets of unpunched cardboard tokens – and I’ve yet to meet a set of punchboards which liked to consume less space post-punching than they had beforehand, unless careful arrangement was involved. I haven’t been so startled by quantities of cardboard since I bought Calico.

A Fake Rartist Goes To New York.

Here’s an unboxing video for both versions of the game:

11 Likes

arr

(Just the regular edition; not the Deluxe Sparrow Edition.)

15 Likes

As feared, the components do not easily fit into this box. With the vast bulk of the components being “tiles in a bag”, this should be the epitome of “throw everything back into the box and pop the lid on”, but my first attempts weren’t even close to successful.

I can confirm the approach shown in How to Re-box Standard Edition (neatly)? | Ra works. Against all intuition, you need to leave the draw-string bag fully open, but it works out because the bag fills the length of the box, so the tiles won’t actually spill. You then have to massage the bag to distribute the tiles evenly enough to get the lid on flat, but that turns out to be easy. The only issue then is being careful taking the bag out again (tilting the box so the open end of the bag is facing up) – and of course knowing the re-boxing trick in the first place.

3 Likes

I owned Earth Reborn for a while - quite fun but not enough to justify its space. That ships with about 1.5cm of box lift, lots of piunchboard geomorphic terrain. When I sold it on, I included a link to the third-party video on how to pack the box so that it actually closed.

2 Likes

my copy of Ra has safely arrived at my sister‘s place in France—I got all of half a day notice to let her know it was arriving. As my dad is going for a visit anyway, I‘ll have to wait another month or pay more postage. I‘ll go with another month… it‘s not like we‘re playing anything but Frostyhaven right now :wink:

10 Likes

Also today I am getting a notification that my copy of Ra is on the way and will soon (4 days ago) arrive…

As a bonus a mystery notification from UPS for something that can only be a game kickstarter. My guess is Legacy of Yu because the campaign update said they were shipping right about now…

edit: indeed it is Legacy of Yu, I got the actual campaign notification just hours after the UPS notification and before I received the package :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m not envious, you are.

7 Likes

I just backed the new deluxe version of Paperback, possibly slightly on a whim and possibly because I’ve had a crazy and unreasoning need for the vague sense of excitement that having a Kickstarter at some point in the medium-term future brings me. Although I do think it’s a very good game.

6 Likes

I backed the KS, too, but for the standard version because it is a small-box game and I am also backing the new Typewriter game. I like the new artwork so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s the difference between Paperback and Hardback? I have the Hardback app on my phone which I do like.

I’m tempted by typewriter.

Ooh yes, I meant the anniversary addition not the deluxe, I wanted the small box too. Tempted by typewriter but haven’t backed yet.

2 Likes

I think that Paperback doesn’t have letters but syllables or at least letter groups ont he cards. and the way you acquire them is different. I have only played on the app a couple times

1 Like

/me looks at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fowers/paperback-10th-anniversary-typewriter

I don’t have much opinion on the changes, but I just want to say that the title “Attack of the Slime Mole” with its tag line “Man is the Warmest Place to Burrow” is the best thing (especially as I have been reading about slime moulds just recently!)

I’m not a fan of the cameo artwork, though. In particular, the picture of girl riding the tiger with the snakes is utterly out of place – at least the other artists have all made a solid attempt to match the theme of the game, but that one just looks like the artist gave them something they’d already created previously. The excellent and cohesive art style was such a notable feature of Paperback, so that is a very weird decision to my mind. I wish they had instead commissioned more artwork by the original artist.

5 Likes

Paperback is much closer to just being “Dominion with words”, whereas Hardback is more its own thing.

Some notable differences:

• The only wildcards are the VP cards, which you buy the same as other cards. They’re also the only way to get points.
  • The market is stacks of similarly priced cards, so there’s always a selection of cards available covering all price points.
  • No ink/eraser mechanic
  • No genres or persistent bonuses. Cards just give bonuses based on using them in a word/putting them in a certain place/trashing them. These bonuses just give you more to spend on cards.
  • The game ends when stuff runs out in the market (like Dominion), then you count up your VPs. It’s not a race to a total.

As someone who already owns Paperback and Hardback, I’m not really tempted by the deluxe edition. Especially as it’s just adding more variant mechanics when I don’t really use the ones I’ve got.

And Typewriter just seems like another similar game when I’m already iffy on whether I really need both PB and HB …

6 Likes

Well Guards of Atlantis is up, and it’s in my list of “fuck it, I’ll buy the expansions regardless of price.” games. So… Closed my eyes and clicked the button. VAT to be added :grimacing::sob::saluting_face:

7 Likes

The right way of kickstartering if you want to feel happy.

3 Likes