The Cherry Debate

Yeah pretty much the same thing by the looks of it.

2 Likes

Fine, so I have a new ambition: to try salted honey pie.

And come to think of it, treacle tart is rather fine. Ideally with cream rather than custard. Custard tart - just nooooo!

Cherries stand no chance of getting near a pie if I am around (although it is possible to overdo them. My advice is donā€™t: it hurts)

2 Likes

Is it basically like an egg custard?

3 Likes

The recipe is in the Four & Twenty Blackbirds recipe book. Or you can fly to New York. :man_shrugging:

(And no to custard tart?! A good custard tart is the best. Up there with a proper Bakewell tart!)

2 Likes

I really like Pastel De Natas as thereā€™s a significant textural difference between the custard and pastry.

In fact a lot of my food dislikes are textural

4 Likes

Same. Eggplantsā€¦ unless our neighbor grills them or as Baba Ganoush.

Bananasā€¦ horrible.

Still fighting with myself over asparagusā€¦ if my preparation is slightly offā€¦ meh.

I have a strong dislike for Kohlrabi - Wikipedia because of the way my mom used to prepare it (half-cooked).

I once had a recipe book called the ā€œLƶffelkochbuchā€ which assembled tiny dishes on spoons. And most of the book was about teaching the reader about how specific contrasts in taste and texture make for great dishes. I learned a lot from that book and it really changed how I eat at restaurants in particular.

An example.

Hereā€™s a dish we were presented with last time we were at that one fine dining place we go to locally (outside of traveling we do not eat out a lot, there is just this 1 place we go toā€“on occasion).

I used to like eat 1 thing and then another, and try everything and enjoy the food a lot.
After that book I try to combine different textures and tastes from the dish. Like a little bit of the cucumber sorbet with the passion fruit and the fish. Or the crispy orange thing and the bit of avocado and a mango cubeā€¦ I might have got there on my own eventually but the book made it an instant transformation.

4 Likes

Basic idea seems similar. Iā€™d have to do a tasting of them all to know for sure. Iā€™d be up for the challenge!

2 Likes

Iā€™d recommend this for a simple good one:

2 Likes

My partner and I have an ongoing disagreement about which Egg Tart is superior. I love Pastel De Natas more (especially if the searing is done well), whereas she swears by Dan Tat (Hong Kong-style specifically, but the Macao ones in a pinch).

I mean, Dan Tat are good, no question, but they arenā€™t quite sweet enough for me, whereas she thinks Natas arenā€™t quite the right texture.

1 Like

This is the most appropriate thread to be reading whilst eating homemade rhubarb crumble.

Fresh cherries: :+1:
Cherry-flavoured desserts: :-1:
Bananas :+1:
Coriander/cilantro :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

I have a very weird relationship with Coriander. I think if itā€™s just sprinkled on top itā€™s not appealing but itā€™s critical ina tomato salsa.

4 Likes

I heard there was a gross fruit debate thread and man I feel like this was made for me. As Iā€™ve always had texture tolerance issues and was the kid at the table for hours.

Like I can eat raw carrots but cooked carrots. The texture and sweetness gross me out. Itā€™s almost a technical thing because to me carrots should not taste sweet. They are a vegetable. 4-year-old me is very set in their ways.

I havenā€™t made a fruit pie in years. But when I did I only used crumb topping because it was the only thing good about a fruit-based pie.

The chunks of cooked fruit in a pie are really gross. Peaches, blackberries with those little seeds that you know they donā€™t really get all the bugs out of, plums I guess.Their slimy and slug like. Who knows what they are. They can be anything. Like there could be anything. You wouldnā€™t know, it would be like a toe in there.

Not likely but still.

I fully admit logic is not present and my food tolerance and acceptance of textures.

Although a lot of the foods I have hated I ended up being allergic to.

11 Likes

Yes, itā€™s hard to be disappointed by something reliably awful.

4 Likes

Obscure pies I like: tamarind meringue, which is basically lemon meringue, but with the obvious substitution. Itā€™s delicious if you like super tart sweet stuff. It has a visual appeal problem, as the custard is a very particular shade of brownā€¦

The other is what we called atomic lime pie when I was a kid. Itā€™s graham cracker crust, topped with a mixture of sugar, eggs, lime juice, and very importantly, green food coloring. The version my mom made when we were kids was uncooked, because it was the 70s, and salmonella was not a thing we worried about. I cook the sugar and eggs, then add lime juice, zest, and the all important food coloring.

4 Likes

I looked at the ingredients list on a Pringles container once, and it was freaky enough that Iā€™ve never considered buying them. I mean, if a packet of chips contains much more than ā€œpotatoes, oil, saltā€ then thereā€™s probably a better alternative.

Fresh cherries and bananasā€¦ both delicious.

My partner likes bananas and apples and actively dislikes virtually every other kind of fruit. It makes me a bit sad, but it does mean that when I buy fruit I definitely get to eat it, so itā€™s not the worst thing either.

Corianderā€¦ I used to thoroughly dislike it, but Iā€™ve since learned that on certain things itā€™s amazing.

For about 20 years I refused to eat mushrooms because as a kid Iā€™d absolutely hated the smell of them cooking when my dad would fry them up in a pan (which was regularly), and my brain had just accepted that ā€œmushrooms are The Worstā€. I no longer recall whether Iā€™d actually tried tasting them, but I couldnā€™t even be in the same room as that smell, so itā€™s possible that I simply refused to try. Some friends finally convinced me to try some when I was visiting them years later, and they were delicious! Iā€™ve loved mushrooms ever since, and think itā€™s tragic that I went without them for so long. The particular type of button mushroom that my dad always cooked still doesnā€™t smell great to me while cooking, but I no longer mind that smell, as I know they taste delicious.

10 Likes

I left out the vanilla ice cream! Graham crack crust, ice cream, then the atomic lime filling. (My mother made one when we went over for labor day, and skimped on the atomic food coloring. Definately needs the atomic food coloring.0

2 Likes

Iā€™m just checking weā€™re all aware of B Dylan Hollis, because (as well as 1970s atomic pies) he frequently uses ingredients that I would put straight on the NOPE list.

(I am exceedingly unconvinced by Prune Whip)

3 Likes

I just saw that book yesterday while waiting for them to give me a price on books I was selling to the store.

4 Likes