Technology will make your life easier

I think it’s meant to be “exception” (as in “the exception that has occurred is of this type”), and then it got abbreviated.

What irks me about Python in general is the way it can’t decide whether it’s imperative or functional/OO. If a function only applies to one sort of thing, it’s a method on that thing: p.sort(). But if it might apply to multiple things, suddenly it’s in the core language namespace: len(p). So if you have a long sequence of transformations you might end up with f(c(a.b()).d().e()) which is harder to read later than either an imperative f(e(d(c(b(a))))) or an OO a.b().c().d().e().f(). Ruby (which certainly has its own problems) does this better: you can have a .length() method on a string, or a hash, or an array, etc.

I was initially irritated by the whitespace sensitivity, but mostly I don’t mind it now - except in the case where I have a multi-layer deep conditional with something that happens a few levels higher at the end, where for me braces or something make it much clearer just how many layers I’m backing out of.

The language I like best right now is Rust.

4 Likes

In a meeting today we were asked by a higher up whether we could adjust our estimation so that one story point was equivalent to one day.

Almost left the meeting at that point.

3 Likes

… …

Sounds like … :sob:
My sympathies for having to deal with that.

2 Likes

It was to make life easier for project planners apparently. Not sure why project planners are even concerning themselves with story points.

But then this meeting was to inform the scrum masters that each scrum team is going to have its performance monitored. Well, not in so many words but they are tracking a number of metrics for each team.

Had a look at the metrics they’ve gathered for my team and they’re nonsensical.

4 Likes

Metrics… probably so they can squeeze out just a little more from everyone.

I am a bit angry today… :angry: :angry: :angry: my partner was promised a promotion for early this year…

after his previous boss sabotaged him getting the higher job grade directly!
Instead he is getting a pay cut along with everyone else. (after 1000s were fired already)

In our country, the employees have to agree to this (in theory) but if they do not disagree they apparently agree by default on Monday.

The contract doesn’t even state how much the pay is being cut and if too many do not agree the company has threatened that more people will be “offered severance packages”…

It is not just the money but I hate that they are going to get away with this.

And at the same time the company raised the dividend which costs them twice as much as they are saving by firing (sorry letting go with generous severance) 1000s of people and cutting the pay of everyone else until the end of the year.

6 Likes

I’ve actually been made to do that (estimating from the outset as 1 point per day). One of the bigger WTFs I’ve encountered in project management. I couldn’t muster up the energy to fight it because I was confident that it wouldn’t change anything, but talk about missing the point…

3 Likes

Nobody at my place has ever got the hang of estimating using story points instead of days… :frowning:

2 Likes

I think we’re right some of the time.

Recently I’ve been coming into Sprint Planning armed with completed work items like the ones we’re about to estimate. 80 sprints in and I can’t expect everyone to remember all the work we’ve done in that time.

That does make a shortcut available, “Well it’s a similar story so it’s the same points then?” So I’m trying my best to ensure we follow the “process” and work through what might be different even if we do end up at the same points.

The other issue we run into is having someone who is intimately familiar with a story just say how many points they think it’s going to be before we vote. There’s no surprises when we reach consensus on those stories. Trying my best to dissuade that as well.

1 Like

I solved the first by soliciting private votes. Ideally, i’d get the results in advance, so I could put the ones there was consensus on a group, and identify the ones that were weirdly contentious: if the sme thinks it’s easy, and everyone else is hard, that’s not terribly surprising, worth a brief discussion. if the sme thinks it’s off he scale hard, and others say 5, something is wrong[2] when we were doing it in person, the votes were secret, so i didn’t get to weigh the scores.

[2] The case where that happened, the guy who was the expert tried to do it as a side project in another epic, but discovered a fundamental incompatablity, and scoped out the work to fix it. he’d even spun up tickets for a lot of it, and kept them private.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any opinions on Katalon or UFT as test automation frameworks? Our parent company is considering adopting one or the other and I’ve been asked for my thoughts. At the moment our test automation consists of unit and integration tests run in gitlab pipelines, and occasional use of Playwright for web/UI testing.

They’ve finally arrived in the USA!

43 days later.

5 Likes

I recently bought a pair of magnetic reading glasses. They are now indispensable.

8 Likes

I am perplexed to read a post in this thread about technology actually making life easier.

12 Likes

I’m trying to shake things up a bit.

5 Likes
Too confused to understand stuff about my work's 'VPN' software

Can someone with more knowledge than me enlighten me, how do VPNs work?

Do they really need run a man in the middle attack on all my SSL connections?
Or is the one my work is using just particularly evil?

Example. One of my own websites which I have Letsencrypt certificates for…

As soon as I turn off ZScaler… I get my own certificates back. I really don’t quite understand how this works.

I figured it out… sorry to bother… there are 2 types of access control one which I have to use and one which I do not have to use. The second one is the evil one.

2 Likes

This is a standard “feature” for many “security” systems. Many of which then don’t bother to verify the cert they’re MITMing, so they reduce security.

2 Likes

Magnetic glasses always make me think of the movie the jerk where his invention of novel glasses makes people cross eyed. There is no rational for this but it just does.

Needless, rambling sharing is what I do.

3 Likes

I love that film (maybe more than I should, but it made me laugh so much when I was young). However, and unusually, it turns out that the cut I love was made for TV; so when I finally bought a copy I found it was missing some great scenes! (yep, they’d added back some deleted scenes for the TV cut) and it had suddenly become ham-fistedly crass at times, where (perhaps just because it’s the version I was familiar with) I thought the TV censoring had improved things.

2 Likes

In my line of work, I always advise people to not present users with invalid certificates and expect them to ignore the warnings; it trains users to just click “Continue anyway” or “Accept the Risk” or whatever the prompt is.

ALL of the SSL-decryption security software I’ve seen (which is a lot) will, before doing anything else, verify that the certificate it is accepting on behalf of the user is valid. But, of course, these systems are designed with bypasses. And as soon as some C-level idiot can’t browse to a website because that website’s certificate doesn’t meet requirements, the security team gets told to disable the outbound certificate verification on the security device… but instead of just endangering this one idiot C-level, the entire organization is now at risk.

2 Likes

An outrage! :laughing: