Technology will make your life easier

A number of my friends have had to do this recently, often involving major surgery to try to get the battery out without breaking (a) it (with consequent acid spillage, fire, etc.) or (b) the laptop in question.

(I liked phones with replaceable batteries, but fashion)

2 Likes

Actually, for my old Dell this was apparently quite easy to remove the battery. I have been inside that laptop before and it’s quite well organised inside:

The battery in question

Replacement battery is around 40€. I sold it to her for the price I’d have gotten from the DELL recycling program. She knew before about the battery. Wouldn’t spring that on a friend.

So right now the stupid Q is working again. I’ll keep observing. Haven’t ordered anything yet. But a replacement is in my shopping basket.

1 Like

I used to be in the user replaceable battery camp, but the size and weight reduction is nice. So is the capacity improvement from a battery that doesn’t have to survive being in a pocket.

I’m willing to pay someone a few bucks to change a battery. (My last phone, the shop charged about $10 more than I could have got the battery for. Totally worth it.)

2 Likes

I somehow destroyed my windows installation–not all of it just some important features. the WSL subsytem and I have no idea how to get it back. :sob: something something hyper-v. I tried something with a bridge. it all crashed and after a reboot the internet suggested things that I did to re-enable it and now I don’t have wsl anymore. and I don’t know anyone really using this thing and so I have no idea who to ask. the internet as usual is not helpful when things get complicated. :sob: :sob: reinstalling failed. I just need to cry for a bit.

I expect with some more hours of work I will possibly get the featuer back. lots of work. i really wanted to stop working hours ago.

2 Likes

Disable Hyper-V in the Windows Features dialog

Which flavour of windows are you using?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Windows 10 probably basic edition which came with my very expensive laptop.

There is no “Hyper-V” feature in my windows. Just Windows Virtual Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform.

I did turn everything off and on again and reinstalled the thing losing all the data inside. Mostly that data was related to work which I can mostly copy from my actual work computer with another 2 hours of work or so.

My own data is not on there as I was working in the windows directories.

So then it’s just re-installing docker, ansible and vagrant.

The WSL instances are still there, they just don’t show up. It can be a bit of a pain to try to re-register them, but I found a guide on the internet for finding those root paths and recovering the important data (the relevant /home/<user>/ mostly)

1 Like

That would be pretty awesome. Though the work is mostly configuration stuffs. Maybe I’ll just take tomorrow off instead of Friday to fix this…

ps:

grafik

This is the mean little thing that I blame for all this.

1 Like

Although I’m not really following what you’re trying to do as it’s beyond my ken setting up students with windows home and wsl2 recently this was the solution to almost all windows home edition issues https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/29175/installation-of-hyper-v-on-windows-10-home.html

1 Like

The problem is that I am not quite following what I am doing… which makes this not the first time I mess up. After a week-end of struggling with this kind of stuff, destroying the WSL was just the icing on the banana-cake (I hate bananas).

I am a bit afraid to mess with the hyper-v anymore at this point, so I’ll enjoy my fresh barebones wsl and if I cannot recover any of the old stuff… the worst thing I may have lost is a few hours of work.

3 Likes

I empathise with that. I had to start using docker-based things recently, and I don’t mind admitting that I still don’t even really know what a “container” is (or isn’t). I do know that I dislike them immensely because what they generally don’t “contain” is everything I expect to find in a VM, which makes my life harder than I would like it to be. I did enough reading and configuration to get to a point where I could actually do work, but it’s cumbersome, and I still hit problems with things which used to be absolutely trivial but are apparently now “hard”. Sometimes the Brave New World kinda sucks.

2 Likes

I’ve almost got it back running, now I only struggle with some remaining docker stuffs…
I am considering trying to run multiple instances of the WSL to be able to keep my work apart from my private experiments b/c work shouldn’t be affected by whatever I am doing in my spare time.

I will also need to update my backup of wsl configurations.

My computer came up with a bluescreen today and performed a hardware check … I don’t really know. Windows… I am just too lazy though to run my laptop on linux. I struggled as much and more with that althought the aspects of the struggle were different and I usually felt more in control.

1 Like

Join ussss…

To be fair it’s not a thing I think everyone should do; almost nobody will sell a pre-Linuxed laptop and sometimes it’s a pain to get things working, even on Thinkpads which still seem to be the best Linux- laptop hardware. But Linux problems tend to be solved by learning more about them, while in the MS world there’s a whole class of problem for which the answer is “this has been deliberately disabled, pay more money”.

2 Likes

I know. I used to run my hardware on Linux. First Suse, then Debian and finally Ubuntu. But then I started freelancing and everyone was developing software from windows which was deeply weird to me b/c I had been writing software exclusively under linux and a lot of the tools needed weren’t freely available on windows (now with WSL some of them are). On top of all that connecting to other computers on windows was a PITA (putty ssh anyone?), copying files to other places was complicated (Winscp…) and as a techie growing up in the 90s Microsoft was the “big bad” to be avoided at all costs.

Since freelancing though, I’ve been working on windows computers and things have got better… and also gaming is much much much easier. B/c gaming tools on Linux is similar to dev-tools under Windows. Wine just doesn’t cut it although I played WoW for years through that compromising on graphics and experiencing tons of issues my friends playing on windows just didn’t have.

I am very much way too lazy to run dual boot. And now working from home I really have to stick with windows because I have no separate dev-laptop this time.

I hear that MacOS solves some of the issues by being based on unix but still has a lot of great games available to play. But despite owning an ipad which I love… I cannot bring myself to go further into the arms of the masters of walled gardens.

PS: and powershell is a) pretty recent and b) not near as good as any decent linux shell

2 Likes

Today I had to find a colleague who was actually at the office to reboot my remote computer.
I have neither met any of my colleagues nor my computer in person …

Pandemic created a new job: the computer-reboot-person

6 Likes

Ah yes, I know that pain. In theory everyone in the team should be able to remote desktop into our test environment. Every now and then it seems the RDP server fails to start which means we normally have to wait until the perma-office team member turns up in the morning to reboot it.

In my case it seems the computer failed to complete some kind of update–as is usual with the windows which is totally the reason why we’re all regularly checking windows update to prevent it from occurring while nobody is at the office.

Webcam, solenoid, broom handle. Faintly surprised nobody’s built one already.

(Remote power bars are still ferociously expensive, alas.)

3 Likes

We have remote power strips for all our test equipment (our CI builds turn hardware on/off as required). We just don’t have the controlling PCs plugged into them :joy:

3 Likes