SUSD Reviews War Chest

Nice. I can get on board with game boxes that make provisions for expansions. A bit naff if you never get the expansions; but so convenient if you do.

My partner and I are having a decent time with war chest. She is having a more decent time than me though.

I don’t understand how they made such a nice game and not notice the control discs were detrimental to the game.

1 Like

Man, I went to school for graphic design (for a while, anyway) and you better believe that stuck in my craw hard. Enough so that I’d have been swayed to get the expansion just for the upgraded (fixed) control tokens. Thankfully I love the game and absolutely “needed” everything else in that box, but the fact remains.

As for the partner thumpings, I can only offer empathy. A lot of our favorite games together are pretty evenly matched, but I feel like I’m generous giving myself a 25% win rate against her in this one.

This is just the “you can’t tell they’re there” issue, I presume?

There aren’t very many of those tokens, right? It sounds like a viable DIY project to make more usable replacements out of cardboard or something.

1 Like

Yep, what you (don’t) see is what you get. The new ones in the expansion are quite literally fixes for the originals and are otherwise the same in every way.

From memory the game board hexes are your template for a DIY fix. I haven’t played in a while, but the box is out and ready for a game so I’ll pop back in with an edit soon to confirm size.

1 Like

Oh yeah it’s doable. But I just feel like why make a giant box chunky chip abstract game that costs £40 and then flubs something that becomes apparent the second one has to look underneath a piece.

It’s so weird.

I must admit I really want the expansion so if that becomes available again it will be a nice fix.

2 Likes

Oh, no I’m 100% with you. It blew my mind when I got it back when it released. So much good, tight design throughout and then bahwhaaaaa???

No argument – it seems like something went awry somewhere (and also that people told them about it in no uncertain terms after the release, hence the expansion fix).

If you also own Hive, then this looks like it works nicely:

Or you could find out how much it’ll cost to get someone to 3D print some from existing designs:

5 Likes