Star Trek Ascendancy (recruitment)

It would be preferred not to… because we’d like to play this as if… “no one knows who is out there?” LoL, I guess you could give out miscellaneous signals… the moderator could say something of “this was heard in this direction”… etc…

Setup: pick two powers you definitely don’t want to play. Get a random power that isn’t one of those. No idea who your neighbours are. (If you had a list of powers you did want to play, getting your second choice would tell you the first choice was out there somewhere.)

Meet an alien ship: you learn which power, and each other’s shield levels.
Have a battle/invasion: you learn weapon levels, and any advancements that get used.
Hegemonise a world: you learn weapon levels.
Trade agreement: you can see each other’s full maps and play areas.

(In the above would you only learn of further weapon upgrades in subsequent battles?)

1 Like

Having a moderator/host enables us to do it a variety of ways! He’ll insure we’re playing within the rules.

That sounds like an awesome idea.

(as moderator) It was really funny to watch the game played out in Axis and Allies; There were time’s when either axis or allied player was totally afraid of a front line because they couldn’t “see” anything beyond the line (unless they sent a scout). Well, unbeknown them, there wasn’t an enemy anywhere nearby, and yet the line held because they either saw only one tank or just didn’t want to commit forces. Of course, If they had “satellite” image, the campaign would’ve been different.

Gosh, this was like 20 years ago and we were all military (USAF). We used 3 board setups (curtains separated the areas), and about 3-4 players per side. That way it was the “group” who made the decisions.

I’ve done a similar thing with Harpoon: red side and blue side get their own rooms with their own maps where they plot their sensor data, and the referee team has the master map.

2 Likes

I have a friend who loves that Harpoon game!

Some play-by-email writeups that might amuse:
https://blog.firedrake.org/tags/harpoon/

This definitely sounds fun (the game, not the air traffic control nightmare, which is so much fun @RogerBW and I did a podcast on it).

(Subspace anomaly)

Does entering warp add that number of additional warp tokens. Or only that number? I already get two.

I have assumed it’s additional. (Technically you still start with the standard one token; warp boosts from advancements don’t generate tokens, they apply when you come out of warp.)

(Looking at the language though, its an anomaly so sometimes it should be bad?)

Even if you didn’t get the standard 1, 2-4 would always be better.

1 Like

(This should all have been split probably.)

Hmm, my idea doesn’t work. Because “I hold the rival’s trade agreement, and can do a thing with their permission” is an exception to the general rule of “I have the only ships in the system”. So if Fed arrived and returned the TA, they’d fall foul of that general rule and still not be able to Hegemonise.

I’ll add back a Fed Culture.

I’ll move this over to Discussion after I’ve posted it.

So can you clarify for the ignorant Klingons what happened here? Doesn’t the Federation need another command if it didn’t happen? Sorry to be a pain but it rather affects what I do.

Well, I think the Federation wouldn’t have sent the fleet there in the first place, so that’s at least three more commands…

I guess I’ll have a wait.