SPRING 1220: The Saga Begins

There are (I’m sure) murmurs of appreciation and queries about how this would work.

The small table in the centre of the room cleared and then first feast settings and then a large tureen of soup appears on it. With the Cook and the Nun supervising the two apprentices begin to lay out the meal and then serve it. The Nun murmurs Grace (which gets a glare from Corvus) and Julia directs the seating arrangements: Hubertus and Acerbus to either side of her, Uillorard and Diligentus flanking Corvus. With the arrival of the Redcap who takes a seat by Anna the Cook the feast begins.

Chicken soup with barley.

Julia turns to her right and says: "Well then, Ungulus. The Claw.” She takes a piece of bread and stirs it in her soup as she stares into the distance.

“Ungulus was established in 984. Before the Normans came to England. Before the Schism War broke out and tore across Stonehenge and the whole order. It was founded by Flambeau magi, in anticipation of the coming of the war against the Diedne and the remote site was chosen to stage attacks against the Druid-held covenants in Cumbria and North Wales. But with the end of the war it became the home of a tradition of Veriditus magi who remade the place in their own image.”

“They’re all dead now: the last of them died about thirty years ago but you can see their workmanship in every inch of the place. A single, huge black stone tower, carved on the outside with runes, pictures of animals and stars, writing in Latin and in other unrecognisable scripts and I don’t know what else. I could never make any sense of it as decoration or magic or anything else.”

“Inside is still stranger. Visitors are told not to wander the corridors nor to go into rooms that they have not been given permission to enter. Every corner is filled with the products of the Veriditus tradition’s special skills. To look at you can’t tell whether a particular statue is there to guard the corridor, open the door for you, act as a bed companion or eat you alive. A bowl might produce wine, scented bathwater or open a gateway to the Realm of Magic. The covenfolk are warped in a dozen different ways and all descended from generations of servitors of the magi. They seem to know how to disarm the traps and propitiate the spirits. It’s not safe to go out of your room on your own and I convinced that there’s a regio, perhaps more than one, inside the tower. It seems bigger on the inside than the walls could possibly accommodate and the passages don’t stay the same for every visit.”

“Now, the covenant has drifted into Winter. The last Veriditus died of a broken heart after his only apprentice was fried by a dragon and the last Flambeau died in a Wizard’s War just earlier this year. There are five magi left there and all of them are old. Flavius Ex Miscellanea is the only one I’d actually call sane and his only hope is that the others will die before he does and he can do something to reactivate the covenant. Aquilla of Bjornaer is our Corvus’ parens: she spends most of her days in eagle form and I expect that she will soon lose the ability to return to humanity.”

“The third is perhaps the saddest and the maddest. Sinead Ex Miscellanea was in love with Parsirus, the Veriditus apprentice the dragon slew. That was fifty years ago and she has burned for revenge ever since. She has tried to slay the worm herself and failed twice and she will veto any attempt to bring in new blood to the covenant unless she gets her revenge first.”

Julia pauses and looks down at her now empty bowl. “I tried to slay it. I failed. It cost us half of our turb and two good companions…”

She slumps back and does not speak for a while.

“There are two more members. Viator of Mercere is a Gifted Redcap who wants the whole of the covenants resources to be spent on his project to create a device that will allow safe communication between covenants without violating the Aegis. Espera of Merinita is a frightened woman: she offended a Fairie Lord twenty years ago and will never leave the Aegis of her covenant again. Every stranger that turns up she assumes is a fay spy sent to assassinate her.”

“Now, none of this would matter to anyone outside their walls if it weren’t for politics. If and when Ungulus falls the vis resources of the covenant will be up for grabs which is not an inconsiderable resource. Also if it can be brought out of winter it would be a valuable ally for anyone interested in the future of Stonehenge Tribunal.”

“Speaking of which, Ungulus lies between us and our rivals at Blackthorn. I know that they have approached the mad magi but they have gotten no further than we… than I did.”

“Find some way to gain the friendship of Ungulus or even to stop it falling and you will earn the gratitude of the whole covenant. Perhaps of the whole tribunal.”

Hubertus absorbs all this information with glee. To him feels like it could be a real coup for him to manage to develop relations with Ungulus. His mind begins to process and plan.

The in the course of the evening he shall ask (if the situation allows) - Corvus about his master, Julia about the mage lost to the fey (Phesallia) and if it links to Ungulus, and Little William if he has any views on the magic messaging project.

Acerbus makes polite conversation about the Ungulus situation, and offers to speak to Espera if he can be permitted an audience.

“I must say, these winter covenants sound very strange places, collecting magi with large problems and large appetites for vengeance. How fortunate that this covenant is taking on plenty of new blood, especially those that can try and solve the problems of the past.”

Julia looks at Acerbus with an expression that says: Nice try at flattery, if crude and as the apprentices clear away the soup bowls says:

“I fear I have far less information to give you, Acerbus. Our colleague Phessallia was close mouthed about her contacts with the Fay of the forest. We found our village was being left alone by the Fair Folk and our journeys through the forest not molested. and that was enough for our needs. She occasionally spoke of ‘the pale Queen’ and her enemy the ‘Summer King’. She made it clear that she had relations with both but as the years passed she became more and more pale herself: her emotions became more… wintery I would say and she would describe the fairie who ruled the forest in the warmer months with dislike, almost with contempt.”

“And then last year, she told us that she was going on a journey into Arcadia, into the lands of Fairie to try to master the nature of her own magics and learn more of theirs. I am a Jeribiton: human politics is my speciality and I did not protest as much as perhaps I should have. She never returned.”

“I would ask you to do what you can to discover what has happened to her and to ensure that our happy relationship with the Fair Folk continues.”

At the far side of the table Corvus picked up the slice of venison his appprentice had just placed on his trencher and bit into the flesh lustily. After chewing it with relish he turned to Diligentus and said: “I do not know that there is a lot for you to do in investigating the death of our former sodalis, Desiderius. I am glad to have a Quaesitor join us, of course: the tribunal as a whole is woefully underserved in that regard. But I doubt if there can be much more to the matter than this: he was a necromancer, one of his experiments with death got out of his control, his apprentice died as well. QED. Julia is a Jerbiton, you know. They like to see hidden motives everywhere and drama behind the most commonplace events. Try some of this mustard and berry compot: it’s the stuff to clear your sinuses!”

(And I beg your pardon for abandoning you for a couple of days: the 13th of the month is when I start my contribution to ALARUMS & EXCURSIONS and it takes up a lot of my time. I’ll try to pace myself better in future but no promises.)

2 Likes

Uillorard scratches his neck unconsciously, and grimaces. “You know… the fae don’t like to give up what they consider theirs. At best, there will be a price to pay to get Phessallia back. Or we may not be able to get her back without making an enemy of the local fae court… rescuing her from a fate that she probably brought upon herself.” He slathers a piece of venison with the compote. “She may not even want to be rescued.”

“From what little I hear, the way to get something from the fae without giving them more in return is to amuse them. But I can’t consider that reliable information.”

Acerbus frowns and says “I think my first order of business will have to be to speak to the locals to find out what they know of the local fae, and then try and make contact myself. Hopefully I can keep clear of any hazardous meetings too early.”

Julia says:

“Well, there is one dweller in the woods I know who may be able to help. A member of the Order and of Ex Miscellenia. One of their less ‘attached’ members but none the less a mage of a sort. We can visit his dwelling and he can tell you what he knows.”

She chews her venison (much more delicately than Corvus) and then compliments Anna on the sauce before continuing:

“He is part of one of the minor traditions that Ex Miscellenia is full of. The Rusticani. Have you heard of them, Uillorard? They are minor magical craftsmen and in this case bowyers and fletchers. The parens of the fellow I will take you to see was a perigrinator, a wandering mage associated with our covenant. His teacher never mastered enough Hermetic Magic to create a Longevity Potion so he is no longer with us but the second generation may, I hope.”

The Redcap pops up and says that he would like to come to meet the fellow: he has to deliver a message to each member of Ex Miscellania about the census their Primus has ordered. The young girl apprentice looks up and quotes (in Latin of course) the Bible verse: “And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.”

“Sauce!” says the Redcap, much amused and in response she brings him some.

{Gone quiet hasn’t it?]

{Do people not currently have time or are they tired of all this introductory material? Or are you tired of the whole thing?}

{Let me know how you feel.}

The meal concludes with a dish of cream, dried fruit and oats with a little alcohol in it. Cider and mead are brought.

Happy to be introductory, but Diligentus feels that speaking up this early would give a misleading impression.

Not tired at all! Just unsure of expectations and the general flows these things.

Hubertus is keen to get talking to as many people as possible, and I guess it would be helpful if you could walk us through what you want in terms of laboratory creation.

[sorry, just didn’t have anything to say. Uillorard said his piece about faeries, but feels it’s not his business to say more.]

“So, what is to be our first order of business? Arranging lab furniture? Collecting some of these vis sources that need gathering? Arranging visits to other covenants? Please, put us to good use. We all desire to do our covenant duty and make ourselves useful to our new home.”

[Not sure where all the introductory stuff is going. Please hit us with what you’d like us to do so we can get on it. Round a table, it’s a lot easier to judge when people are running out of things to say or tell if the conversation is going nowhere - for play-by-post, hitting us with “Somebody do X” really helps. I understand there’s a few possible adventures in the form of collecting the vis, speaking to Ungulus, me talking to the fae, and as Hubertus says we will need to do lab creation at some point.]

“Well,” said Julia, “I would appreciate if Uillorard would describe what his proposed ornament to the laboratories would do and would require… If you come with me after the meal I will take you to the library and we can look at the scroll containing the instructions for the gathering of the vis sources… Now I think of it they are spread out over the year and some of them are some distance from here though a few are nearby or even drawn from artefacts in our possession.”

(And I’ll start a new thread called THE LIBRARY to point to documents of interest.)

“Diligentus, I am a little surprised at your silence… Or perhaps you prefer to examine the scene of the death before asking questions?”

(I’ll start fresh threads for the next steps for the individual characters. Perhaps those of you who don’t have companions should think about them? And I should think about the grogs and what not.)

1 Like

“I have found that even with the best of intentions human recollection is less reliable then physical evidence.”

“Ah,” she says, “doubtless true…”

And converstation turns towards general gossip of the state of the Order in the places where the new members trained and (courtesy of the Redcap) in Stonehenge itself.

I am unsure if this is the correct place to post; however Hubertus is very conscious that as mages with building and exploring to do we should try to coordinate. So when all are gathered together next he says:

“We must ensure that we are pulling together to establish ourselves effectively and return the Covenant to vigorous growth.”

“I have written to nearby Covenants and will seek to visit them all to develop our diplomacy and our visibility in the magical world. This will take time but I am keen in particular to engage quickly with our nearest neighbours.”

“There is also a nearby vis source which I hoped to harvest at the Spring Equinox>”

“But I believe that to be most effective we must co-ordinate and work together in these early, vital stages of our joint endeavour. To that end I have offered to Uillorard that I will labour with him to support his development of his laboratory; I hope he will take me up on that and help with mine.”

“I understand also that Uillorard can craft a nonmagical but useful trinket. I am unsure of the limits of such power but if asked my preference would be a camera obscura to allow me to spy as wide an areas as possible.”

“Have I got this correctly set out? Is there anything that others which to add to support our general collaboration?”

Uillorard shakes his head gently. "I don’t really need help with my laboratory, since I am taking over one that is already constructed. I am happy to help you all with setting yours up, though there is only one of me so if I am to help everyone we will need to stagger things so that some of you will have to occupy time in the library or other pursuits while waiting their turn. As far as the crafting, I am going to be crafting the equipment for all of our laboratories. I can make trinkets as well, though I’m not quite sure what you mean by a camera obscura. It sounds like what you want is a scrying device, which would probably be most effective if enchanted.

I’m also quite happy to help anyone with solving problems that don’t fit their specialties but might fit mine, especially if not too much travel is involved."

I’d say that a general thread about co-ordination and general chat should be started. Oh, that’s probably my job.

I’ll call it: In the feast hall. (Because ‘cafeteria’ is so unmedieval and there isn’t any coffee closer than Constantinople.)