Sleeping Gods, boo to Gary Gygax, and nostlagia for Fighting Fantasy gamebooks

Since you have a photo of Fabled Lands books there, and they’re a series I never read, I noticed there’s a PC adaption out now on Steam:

2 Likes

Yes I’ve had my eye on this for a while, it’s been on my Steam wish list and I saw it was released but hmm… i think the appeal was those big beautiful books. My computer is already pretty laden with open-world RPGs that are more fun to play, I suspect. Not that I won’t be tempted in the next Steam sale…

2 Likes

Slightly thrown that the answer to “Which Steve Jackson wrote fighting fantasy books?” turns out to be Yes.

3 Likes

This amused both of them.

2 Likes

This Convention is happening in September, by the way:

https://www.fightingfantasy.com/

5 Likes

I have been tempted for sure.

You find yourself in the entrance of Final Fantasy Fest.

To get your copy of creature of Havoc signed turn to page 76.

To attend the silent disco turn to page 132.

3 Likes

Page 76

You die instantly.

4 Likes

This is very much in line with my experience of Creature of Havoc.

2 Likes

“If you want to explore the tower, turn to Page 76”

(Turns to Page 76):

AA
     A
      A
       A
          A
           A
            A
             A
               A
               H!

SPLAT!

1 Like

My brain is convinced that there’s a Choose Your Own Adventure which was exactly like that: instantly-lethal on every 2nd page, and used an
A
A
A
H
falling off a cliff sound written downwards. Even though I probably only saw this with my eyes literally 35 years ago. Thanks brain.

7 Likes

A multi-player card-based take on FF books 1, 3, 6, 7:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wallacedesigns/fighting-fantasy-adventures-campaign-one

There’s no FAQ for “why should I be interested in this if I have the books already?”, so I guess they didn’t anticipate that question.

3 Likes

As this seems to be the thread for FF gamebooks: FF Fest have just announced that the next guest of honour in September is Iain McCaig.

Which is annoying because now I have to go, because he’s a genius and I want a City of Thieves / Forest of Doom / Deathtrap Dungeon art signed.

9 Likes

Oooh that’s very tempting, those images had a huge influence on me.

2 Likes

“I’m going on a trip to the University of West London.”

“Ealing?”

“No, Fighting Fantasy convention.”

3 Likes

Loved his illustrations on the covers of City of Thieves and Forest of Doom

2 Likes

It wasn’t just the covers, his black and white illustrations inside were some of the really big ones too. But the covers were freaking amazing.

4 Likes

Yeah but given I haven’t seen the books for over 30 years, the first two covers are the only ones I remember!

Given that the book before his had THIS level of cover art, the quality jump is unreal.

5 Likes

Warlock’s cover was quite nice, OTOH. Forest of Doom absolutely upped the ante, though – that cover was/is stunning.

2 Likes