Show us your bits! (Board game components)

This might be the most offensive die that I own:

9 Likes

6 Likes

Sorry, I appear to be drunk, and the die isn’t coming in right. Not sure how, I haven’t had any alcohol…

4 Likes

Looks like a beautiful production! What are your feels on the game?

I think Aqua Garden is quite pretty and I should definitely try this with some of the bonus modules. It is a very light set collection game with a good production. But too light for my usual tastes and too fiddly to teach quickly. I backed this mostly because my partner loves aquariums and we visit on trips all the time. I do not think I would back this again. This resides in the “Collector’s Corner” of my collection right now it is also “tagged” with my partner’s name.

My partner says he enjoyed the set collection and it is a relaxed, nice game and he likes how beautiful the components are. “Gameplay is a bit too simple” he said and added that doesn’t bother him :slight_smile:

Tetrarchia has some of the least-practical components I’ve ever encountered.

This is a tiny little 21x30cm board, with lots of 15mm diameter wooden discs (those are totally fine), but then this collection of ludicrously large wooden pieces representing the four emperors and the barbarian armies (along with the Roman fleets, plus some similar-sized optional extras for the included expansions). These things need to sit on and move between the circular spaces; very frequently balanced on top of one of the wooden discs. You are furthermore intended to place them vertically, where the slightest bit of carelessness – or breeze, if outside – will knock them over, probably scattering other components.

Also notice how many spaces have little numbers and arrows attached – you need to be able to see that information during the game. Placed upright, the wooden pieces will not only block the details of the space they’re on, but also the spaces behind them! If you lie them down they are more stable, but still completely obscure the space they’re on. These things are ridiculous.

Pictured are both the original components, and the little figures that I’ve replaced them with, which are actually practical. I didn’t have any black or green figures, so I made do with the unpainted ones for the former, and purple for the latter (which looks indigo in the photo, curiously), but that doesn’t affect playability. The ships are ok as-is – those things have enough space that they don’t get in the way.

7 Likes

There are a bunch of Roman emperor busts on Thingiverse, which could be merged with a nice solid base and 3d-printed… just sayin’. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds neat; but notwithstanding that I have no access to a 3D printer, I think the wooden bits I found really are near-enough perfect for the job – little coloured figures which are smaller than the discs, and easy to pick up and move.

I really can’t fathom what they were thinking when they gave the green light to what they’ve actually included here (and that’s even before we get to issues like most of the expansion pieces being virtually-indistinguishable from one or more of the other pieces, for absolutely no reason).

3 Likes