Shogun by Queen Games (Discussion)

OK, a basic algorithm - I’m trying to balance between ease of use and replication of those results. These come out as “similar” in my simulation.

I model the cube tower as having 7 channels, of which 5 contain traps.

For each cube added:

• Randomly select a channel. (If you’re doing this with physical bits, roll a d8, rerolling 8s.) If it’s channel 6 or 7, the cube falls out at once.
  • Otherwise the cube goes into that specific trap (#1-#5). For each cube now in that trap, in a random order:
    • 55% chance that cube comes out (e.g. d20 roll of 1-11).
    • 45% chance it doesn’t, and don’t roll for any other cubes in the trap;
1 Like

Sorry, I don’t understand this at all. Usually it’s see 3, pick one (or take a random), right?

Correct This is a different method instead of drafting.

Sorry, I get that, but I don’t get how the new method works.

The new method ensures that everyone will get 2 provinces in 4 (of the 5) regions on the board.

Oops. It isn’t called Province picking. That is the error…

There are 8 province cards per region available to players.

Okay, so there are 5 regions with multiple provinces each. Some of those provinces are removed (as per usual).

Each player chooses 4 provinces from any of the regions? How do you “secretly” choose in Turn Order? Is each choice made public? What happens if multiple players pick the same province? When do you get the two random provinces? How does a region get depleted?

This is for setup only you can only pick one region once. Players will PM me their choices. Depletion might occur if playing with 5 players. Because there are only 8 provinces per region.

(Removal per usual is not the same. Well if we was playing 3 player which I’m hoping not) but as stated certain provinces will be initially unavailable to be obtained by a player. (This is to keep the total count to 8 and not 9 per region).

And you will not be choosing provinces. It is all random. You only choose Regions and given random provinces.

I’m hoping to get 5 players for our first game.

I still do not understand at all, but I trust you when you say it works. :slight_smile:

Just tell me what I have to do when we’re picking, and I’ll do that.

No problem. Each player will initially pick 4 of the 5 colored Regions only … When we setup.

I’d like 4-5 players for our first game.

1 Like

What does everyone think of the game so far?

I think I don’t like the expansions (yet), but that’s mostly unfamiliarity. Maybe they’ll grow on me?

Other than that, gosh I love this game! I’m not good at it, but I’m really enjoying it!

1 Like

Live in-person games are awesome! Everyone that I’ve first introduced it to, find it so cool! It does take them awhile to “get it”, and then they want to play more to “see what happens” and try different strategies.

Debating if I want to bring this out again at an upcoming convention. We’ve got Dicetower West coming
https://www.dicetowerwest.com/

2 Likes

I think the farmers are cheating! :stuck_out_tongue:

Game seems to be running well so far, once we got past the setup, anyway. As you said, a lot of each season is pretty automatic, so they go rather quickly.

2 Likes

Yes, during the game there is only 3 things that need player decision; Battle A, Battle B, and Add 1 army and do a possible move. The rest is automatic based on everyone’s pre-selected province action.

Firstly, thanks for running it.

For me it is a lot to understand not having played before, so I am still not sure what I am doing. I imagine that will come into focus as rounds progress.

I think - again as a beginner - all the expansions add to the learning burden.

It did feel good fighting off the aggresssors! Let’s see how I fare this round!

Next few days I’ll be real busy with the convention
https://www.dicetowerwest.com/

1 Like

What does everyone think of the game? Is that cube tower really something?! I’m glad that I’m able to conduct the game and utilizing recorded video rather than trying a mathematical formula for battle outcomes.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying it. I, too, am glad you are using an actual tower so we don’t have to worry about some weird programming glitch throwing the results.