Seventeen months from Hell

Never mind; it’s not your fault, it’s my stupid mood disorder. These things happen, and I’ll be better later.

4 Likes

Jon Zeigler sent me a friendly e-mail about the stream of reviewer’s comments (on his star system design manuscript) that I sent him, and we had a pleasant exchange. That’s a bit of a relief, because I’ve sent 36 e-mails of comments since the 30th of January, and I was afraid that I had snowed him under and got diverted to his spam folder.

7 Likes

Bleargh.

Things are not going as well as hoped. Two weekend visits from an attention-seeking cousin, and a dinner-party that was enjoyable but tiring. Also, a bout of gout that has taken the spring out of my step. My dog seems resigned to never going for a proper walk again.

But circumstances are not to blame. I’ve sat at my desk and tried to write, and every day closed my file at lunch-time unchanged since half past nine.

At least we’ve had decent rain: 157 mm in the past week with another week of light showers to come, according to the Bureau.

8 Likes

My eldest brother phoned to tell me that he is not coming to stay next weekend (the 13th & 14th) as planned, but arriving tonight and staying until Tuesday.

1 Like

Have you considered moving without leaving a forwarding address…?

3 Likes

I have considered moving to a one-room apartment.

3 Likes

Might I advise the benefits of having your own moat?

1 Like

There’s a church just down the road that has that, with a direct river frontage. Alas, no drawbridge.

3 Likes

I very much hope that is full of crocodylus pontifex.

1 Like

I am rather suddenly feeling a lot better. I had glimmerings of a remission about a week ago. Today I feel fine. Not depressed at all. Not sleepy. No psychomotor retardation. No signs of pseudo-dementia that I can observe: mind clear, memory apparently present and correct. No social aversion — I was able to chat wittily with my dentist’s assistants. No feeling that everything is impossible and not worthwhile anyway. This is pleasant. I like it.

I hope this sticks for a while. I’ve had a bad two years.

19 Likes

Indeed, I wish you a persistent improvement. I’ve seen how intractible depression is; it’s a good thing if yours has let up.

4 Likes

Splendid! Long may it continue.

2 Likes

This is excellent news :relaxed:

2 Likes

Very pleased to hear this; I hope it stays for a long time.

2 Likes

Excellent, I hope it continues

3 Likes

Brett are you interested in an online game on Rill20 (free) using the Aliens rule set, maybe 3 or 4 sessions of 3 hours, email me on andrew@happynumbers.net.au

1 Like

Making, or even eating, roast turkeys, plum puddings, and mince pies while it is 35 C in the shade and raining heavily is simply insane.

8 Likes

I’ve always presumed it was a deliberate and demonstrative insanity, rather than one carried out unthinkingly.

3 Likes

Yes, it certainly looks like the behaviour of a people who are in furious denial that they are anything other than British folk in a foreign country. But I’m sure that my brothers and sisters don’t actually identify that way.

3 Likes