Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Rat-a-Tat Roll, a pretty quick and light game. You roll some dice, move around a board (I guess that makes it roll to move). What you’re aiming for is to have the lowest total of cards in front of you. Spaces on the board let you take cards (each section has it’s own face up card), roll a wild die (which may allow you to take the lowest or highest of cards around the board), and swap cards with other players.

Camel Up: Off Season, first play. Bought this for cheap on Amazon, thinking it was something to do with the Camel Up game, but it really isn’t. About the only thing they have in common is that camels are involved. It’s still fun tho. You choose from various market tiles, which show goods tiles (usually both face up and face down). Then you load up your camels, each type of good gets it’s own camel. And if you overload a camel, everything is lost. You want to load up your camels, and then sell as much as you can. There’s a lot of goods cards, but you go through them pretty quickly.

Ghostbusters: Blackout, play your favourite Ghostbuster and clean up New York. This is fully cooperative, and you’ll need to help each another. If you don’t deal with ghosts they add to the chaos track, and when that gets to the end, it’s game over. Luckily there is a die face that can reduce chaos. We were a bit slow there, and before we knew it the game was lost. We had a ghost that prevented us from lowering the chaos tracker, so that didn’t help. Obviously there’s a fair bit of luck involved (it’s a dice game), but it’s still fun.

Ghosts of Christmas, a tricky trick taking game. You can play to one of three positions on your time track – past, present and future, and winning a trick in an earlier position might just help you win later tricks.

Too Many Cinderellas, a very light game of trying to find the right Cinderella for the Prince. Each card shows the attributes for that Cindererella, like their age, sex, and what they like. Each card also has a rumour, like “The princess doesn’t like ice cream”. You have four If cards, and you’ll play two of them for the rumour. Each player as a “Yes” and a “No” token, and you select one in secret when each rumour is played. You can play the “Yes” as much as you like, you’ll always take it back after the vote. But your “No” token can only be played once, so you’ll try and keep that for rumours that will stuff up your cards. It’s pretty light fun, but entertaining.

Planet etuC, another game by Taiki Shinzawa (who also designed Ghosts of Christmas). But this isn’t a trick taking, it’s a shedding game where you have to play all your cards out first. On your turn, you can play either one or two cards. If two cards were played by someone, they can either be the same number (so, a pair of whatever), or two cards of the same colour (suit). If someone plays a pair, then you have to play a bigger pair. If they play two of the same suit, then you just have play two cards of a higher suit (like Red7, there is a list of colours).

Faraway, not sure about this one. I can see what it’s trying to do, but it seems like mostly luck if you get the right cards. The gimmick is that you play eight cards, and then you process them from the last card back to the first. So for a card to score, it needs to have any prerequisites already played, which takes a sec to get your head around. I expected a lot from this game, can’t say it’s a real favourite.

Uchronicle, a trick taking game where you can change the game rules anytime you like, but have to fix up any problems from earlier tricks. One of our players really doesn’t like this, so I don’t think I’ll get it to the table much. Shame, I think it’s clever.

9 Likes

Holtz!

Can’t paste an image from here.

2 Likes

More Arcs! Played it 5 times now. Easy to do when it is the hottest game currently in the hobby for a couple of weeks now.

I think I’m done with it. It’s great and I had a great time. The game is fun from start to finish. But Cole have stuck with the VP based system. Runaway winner means that the game ends, but god, having runaway losers suck (though, I’ve never been one. Skillzzzz bruv :sunglasses:), which is a thing in most of his games.

The Leaders and Lores inclusion is always great. The powers are fun and bonkers. I do recommend to include them even on your first game.

Easily in my top New-to-Me this year, but it’s not gonna make it into my “playlist collection” of around 30 big games. Games within this genre, I would rather play Cthulhu Wars / Glorantha (surprise) or Dominant Species or even Inis. DS does take some time to play like Arcs. But DS decision space is more interesting, even when you add in the random event cards. Though, the random event cards make the game bonkers fun.

There are complaints about the lack of control. From his games and the four games I mentioned above, it is more tactical. But i never found the random cards to be an issue. The dice were definitely NOT an issue in terms of randomness.

In the Werhle-verse, I would rather play this than Root. It’s more streamlined. Oath and John Company produces better storytelling, but Arcs is more gamey. I would also prefer Pax Pamir (1st edition and 2nd! Preferable 1st edition), An Infamous Traffic and John Company over this. Arcs is easier to play than both, but I find these two more “cerebral”.

I’m not playing the campaign. Not interested.

Cabanga! - Cabanga!!

Food Chain Magnate - 5 players

Courtisans - it looks like a solid winner in the club so far as people buy it from Waterstones, which is the only place you can get it from it seems. People like the train-game style alliance that is hidden in this game.

See, guys! Train games are fun :nerd_face::nerd_face:

Photograph - aka Wind the Film

13 Likes

after about 20 attempts including early aborts I finally cracked the Trailhugs achievement for Trailblazers

12 Likes

I have now played Mandalorian Adventures 3 times. Once solo and twice with my partner.

The first scenario didn‘t impress me all that much. It was won without a hitch both with me 2-handing Mando and IG-11 or with 2 players. But scenario 2 adds a few complications and at the end of the 2nd game you get to (optionally, but of course we did) open one of the 2 envelopes the game comes with and … well … I can now see that the game has more potential than scenario 1 suggested.

It‘s a light-weight skirmishy game à la Zombicide. Except minus the „Braaaains!“ calls from the plastic and minus the plastic. Also no dice. There is enough random anyway.

Every character has a personalized deck of „skill“ cards. On your turn you play 2 cards to two (of four) different action slots and do the action with the strength of the card you played. After that if any action slot has a sum of 6+ you do that map‘s „oopsie“ which can be reinforcements appearing or „disrupting“ actions (adding). Then you execute an event card for all action slots with a sum of 5+ and then you clear out the slots that hit the limit, returning cards and disruption tokens to their discards. The events have the enemies move and attack and a few special events…

The actions you do on your turn are the usual: attack, move, get bonus stuff (plan) and manipulate the map (intel).

It‘s simple, has pretty good rules retention, quick setup of scenarios…

I am a little worried that there are only 4 maps (and their respective associated tokens) in the map-book / campaign… but it is starting to look that the campaign is meant more as an intro to the rules than as the „actual content“ and that replay value may be better than feared.

I am not yet fully convinced that this is a great game. But it is solid enough and fills a niche that hasn‘t been occupied (on my shelves) since Zombicide went to the bench. Also Star Wars.

8 Likes

I kinda miss playing Zombicide. I miss throwing shedloads of dice for a silly reason. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been playing a lot of async Twilight Imperium: 4th Edition using a discord bot the community has written.

It’s surprisingly good. Not as good as IRL TI, but still captures the essence and it’s so much easier to get games in. My usual TI group started our first game in April, and since then I’ve finished 5 (three with my group and two with strangers) and am currently in 3 more games right now.

In my experience games take about a month to complete, which really isn’t much longer than the split-session TTS games I used to run with my group.

6 Likes

Played Primal the Awakening today. It’s good. The combos are intense and the puzzle around each monster are different. The downsides include down time as the card play is pretty intense with costs and possibilities. I didn’t have the rules down before we started so that extended the play time and I’m jet lagged so it was arduous. I think it’s good though and I’m looking forward to play again. With more plays familiarity should smooth off some rough bits and also the difficulty to get going may suggest a bit more depth to it.

This second monster beat us up. Also probably good to suggest difficulty is about right. Like I said earlier it was different to the first monster.

7 Likes

This is my favourite part of the game. It’s hilarious how often I assumed the piece would fit and it was the wrong kind.

3 Likes

I bought the mini version of summer pavilion over the weekend. Forgot how much I enjoyed that.

5 Likes

Now I had to check if there was a mini version of Sintra, too, which is my personal favorite among the 4 azuls (OG, sintra, summer + hex) and which I do not own for some reason. Of course there is not a mini version of Sintra. Why would there be…

2 Likes

Played a couple of games of Knarr with my partner. First game was purely learning for her as I got creamed the next game.

It’s a good game I think. It feels like there’s a fair few ways of winning while having this sacrifice your favourites aspect. Lots of cool aspects in a tight package!

3 Likes

Jaws of the Lion tonight. Spoilers for scenario 16:

Summary

THAT’S A LOTTA ENEMIES! With it being a single room, I (the Voidwarden) immediately plopped my Ward down in the middle so that most enemies ended up entering its poison cloud at one point or another, and literally all enemy attacks were done at a disadvantage (well, except for the one Black Imp we faced, who had innate advantage). So that was huge for keeping us alive. The danger, then, was the many instances of non-attack damage from Rat Monstrosities, and just card endurance from our kinda low DPS. The poison and a lot of wounds helped there. In the end, I exhausted and my wife was down to one or two more turns when she used some guaranteed damage to finish off the final enemy.

Now it turns out we did play this a bit wrong, because in JotL, spawned creatures DO drop money (we gave ourselves an estimated amount) and they also move the same turn they spawn, which… was harder to estimate and rectify post facto. There were only six times it would have actually happened, and probably would not have made a big impact, so I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

5 Likes

Games with nearby friends on Monday: Sea Salt & Paper, which is really growing on me, and Project L, which already has and I love it every time.

4 Likes

Played a best two out of three series of Everdell: Farshore yesterday, which I lost two games to one. This is such a good implementation of the Everdell system, and plays just differently enough where it’s worth having both. And we’re still discovering strategies. Love it!

4 Likes

Teotihuacan + Shadows of Xitle + Late Preclassic Period + Expansion Period - Expansion period is a set of modules that I haven’t tried before. We went all-in. It’s great that we all know the basic game already.

Would like to have more plays before I do a breakdown of the exp modules. But I already like the asymmetric faction ones where it gives you a special ability, but also gives you a weakness. The obsidian as wild resources allows flexibility as well. I’m not happy with the map module where you conquer regions. Again, would like to play more with the modules

Alma Mater - A game about running a medieval uni where you get professors, students, and do some research. This one got this fun bit where you can sell your books to other players because the value of everyone’s books are flexible and changes every round based on how high are you on the research track. It’s your typical linear Euro gameplay where you pick a strat and run it for 2 hours, but I thought the changing value of books is a fun wrinkle. As such, it avoids getting a 1 star from me. Would like to play it again

Kogge - the other Andreas Steding that got away for years. BUT NO MORE!! It is played and it is an interesting efficiency game. It is highly opaque and what’s interesting is that it reminds me of Age of Steam in terms of compactness of rules and opacity. Kogge does feel like a Steding once you played a good number of his games. They feel at home with Hansa Teutonica or Macht und Ohnmacht based on the design decisions of Steding.

I would love to see this reprinted like Hansa Toot

The City - 2 players and went super fast. This is a card tableau building game in pill form with a cute city-building theme. Knocks the competition out with its super thin rules and fun combo building gameplay

Cat in the Box

6 Likes

Games in the pub yesterday:

Earth:
Quite charming, thematically. I liked that everyone got to do something on everyone else’s turn, otherwise it would have been a bit dull. Very point salad - I’m less keen on this kind of game at the moment, leaning more towards shared incentive type games, or at least games where you can tell who’s winning. I’d still happily play again though.

Discworld: Ankh Morpork:
I love the Discworld books, so this game works great for me. It’s quite chaotic and “unfair” though, so I imagine it’s not for everyone. E.g., one player was about to win and then someone drew an event card that burned down two of his buildings :person_shrugging: Definitely not a game for getting over invested!

Prey another day: a quick card game where you all have the same 5 animal cards. Low values are apex predators and high values are prey. You want to have your high value cards “survive” the round by not being guessed by anyone playing a low value card. It’s essentially a game of trying to correctly guess what other people are likely to play. The game was fine, but I have some serious questions about the graphic design…

5 Likes

First plays of Kids Express with my daughter. Near as I can tell there isn’t much in common with Colt Express beyond the theme and cardboard train, but it’s sure fun as a kid’s game.

The box says 20 minutes, but we knocked out 3 games in less than 30, and I don’t see player count affecting that. There are no numbers, words or symbols; the whole of the game is robust cardboard (no cards to destroy, no dice to throw across the room or swallow) and you don’t even count points at the end. There’s an approach to kid gaming here that I rarely see outside of Haba or Zoch releases. Very nice.

As for the gameplay, it’s a simple (cooperative) race to snag more loot than the bandits. You’ll grab loot at the end of every turn, and the loot will reveal (via pictogram) what the bandits do. Kids can never enter a car with bandits, and run to their wagon if a bandit ever enters their spot. Once one of the (four) piles of loot is exhausted, the game ends and we measure up who has the bigger stack, the kids or the bandits. The real hook is in the shooting mechanism, whereby you need to flick a cardboard stone at a bandit (or bandits) in the hopes of knocking them out and back to their hideout at the end of the train.

It’s a fun, quick, silly game. The hook of flicking makes the usual stress of a classic (very basic) firefighting mechanism melt away, and the visual approach, while a bit inelegant visually, results in a game my 4y.o. could probably teach and run with her cousins given enough familiarity. What’s more, there’s a subtle shift in outcomes between the 4 available loot piles, which should allow for a little metagaming for savvy kids with enough experience to pick up on it.

It’s hard to push a kid’s game, especially one which is absolutely not suitable for adults who aren’t just facilitating for their kids, but I think there’s enough charm to suggest it for anyone who might fit that bill. It says 5+ on the box but I think an interested kid would only be limited by their flicking ability.

9 Likes

This week began with a play of a vignette scenario from Kingdom Death Monster. As a vignette at least it’s not a campaign. The game is still so boring with such obvious choices. For those who’ve played Guillotine it’s the same level of decision making. Guillotine is at least done in 10 minutes or so.

Next up though was my first play of Automobiles. What an excellent game! Shame it’s so out of print. The deck building with cubes is nicely done and the balance on all the factors is pretty spot on. Crucially it feels like a race. Marvelous stuff.

This evening an excellent game of Cthulhu Wars went down. We used the Dream Lands maps which was both novel and fun. Bubastis, Opener of the Way, The Demon Sultan and Tcho Tcho battled it out. It was so close, Bubastis started strongly and we’re going to race ahead but they got hacked back as the Thco Tcho built up a head of steam. That battle allowed the Deamon Sultan to go for an instant win and leverage that to slow Tcho Tcho heavily and catch up. A poor push back choice made in a hurry allowed Tcho Tcho just enough remaining to sneak the win by a single elder sign. Particularly excellent session. The instant win conditions added a really good source of tension and leverage against opponents. Making it 2 separate maps without wrap around movement was an excellent wrinkle as well. Marvellous stuff and maybe my favourite game ever of the mighty Cthulhu Wars! Hopefully @lalunaverde will be along with photos soon.

9 Likes

You leave Guillotine alone!!

3 Likes