Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Finally got some gaming done, it’s been a while

A couple of trick taking games first

Boast or Nothing, hard to get hold of, so I used a deck of Phase 10 cards, just needed 1 thru 11 in three suits, plus some “pass” cards, and value 12 cards to use for the trump ranking. Normal trick taking rules – have to follow suit if you can. The three suits start ranked randomly, but change during the round. If you win a trick with a suit, that suit goes on the bottom of the ranking. What you’re trying to do is win the correct number of tricks, for a 3p game, this is three tricks. You get a point if you get the exact number, two points if you win zero tricks, and nothing otherwise.

Trick-Taking in Black and White, another game I had to make myself. You have a deck of games with a white and a black value. Values run from 1 to 36, and the total always adds up to 37. So the card with a 1 white has the black 36, for example. Whoever opens says if they are using the white or the black number, and then people have to play white or black to follow. The object of the game is to take as many white tricks as black. If you do this, you get the value of all the tricks you’ve won. If you fail, you get them as negative points. Easy to play, fun filler.

12 Chip Trick, and yet another game I did myself. The original game uses chips, I tried to do it with coin capsules but my test one didn’t look too well, so I just did it with cards instead. The game is named because there are only twelve chips/cards in the original game, but there are actually sixteen chips/cards for 4p. The chips are in red and blue, the red chips are numbered 4 to 9, and the blue 1 to 3 and 10 to twelve. I used a standard deck of cards, so marked up a Jack as 11 and a Queen as 12.

To play, each person plays a card, highest card wins. You don’t have to follow colours, you can play anything. The winner of the trick takes one of the cards from the trick. You have to take red cards first, but otherwise can take anything. Each player takes a card, but the winner places their card in front of them, and that card can’t be used again. Everyone else takes a card back into their hand. When someone has no cards left, the round is over. You add any cards in front of you, and anything you might still have in your hand. If you have a total over 21, you’ve gone bust, but there is a variant where you get half your points if you’ve gone over.

Very interesting game with very few cards, good filler.

The Loop, some cooperative fun. We’ve never won at this game, even at the basic difficulty. We started out pretty well, had three (of four) missions completed, but then more and more bad guys start appearing, and we lost our fourth mission. The game has a tower in the middle, which you throw red cubes into. If any region gets more than three red cubes, it’s lost (and you lose any progress you might have had on the mission). The tower has three exits, so you never quite know how the cubes will come out, there’s a bit of luck involved. A close game, but we just couldn’t get it done.

Aliens: Bug Hunt, a pretty light dice rolling game, but it’s fun. You have a squad of three people, and have to explore the map by adding tiles and defeating aliens. We just managed to win, it was pretty tight.

7 Likes

I’ve not been around much recently because we finally picked up our new motorhome and have been testing it out. I’m pleased to report that the table is sufficiently large for some board games:

19 Likes

Played Diamant and Quacks of Quedlinburg as a push-your-luck double-feature. Just one game of each.

In our game of Diamant, three out of four players abandoned the mine in an attempt to grab a relic, and the remaining player then proceeded to acquire 35 rubies before turning up the first trap and hauling their winnings back to the camp. That was the game right there :).

(In another mine, we’d encountered nothing but traps…)

I hadn’t played Quacks before, and was pretty curious. I thought it was ok – not amazing, but I enjoyed it and I’d happily play it again. Very light, and clearly has the potential to be frustrating; but I had pretty good luck (and might conceivably have won if I’d pushed it a bit more – I finished two points behind the joint winners).

One of the three bonuses we could purchase during the game could be used on a ruby space, and gave you a number of rubies equal to the victory points value of a location, which garnered me a lovely 10 rubies late in the game.

8 Likes

Yesterday was a local small gaming convention. Saw some friends we don’t see much anymore and played lots of games.

Started with Revive. This is a standard moderately heavy euro engine builder. You do things to get resources to make points and/or add cards and pieces to your tableau to make you better able to do things in the future. The theme was tribes repopulating a frozen wasteland but it was light. It was a reasonably pretty game and a solid example of a genre I like but have too many of already. My husband is often very good at picking apart these kinds of games so despite it being our first play, he got 146 points while I was in second with 72. The score tracker only went to 50 and one player didn’t break 50 so my husband lapped her three times.

Then I played a couple games of Archaeology with a few of our regular gaming friends while my husband went off to try The King Is Dead. Archaeology is one of my favorite light, small box card games so I had fun. Got last the first game and second the second game.

My last game was Lost Ruins of Arnak with some friends while my husband played Dune Imperium. Everyone in Arnak had played before and I have all the expansions so we busted out some of the more complex leaders to play with. I got a lot of use out of my mechanic’s whee mechanism and pulled out a win. Everyone was saying for the back half the game that it was going to be close between me and one other player and that was true. Final scores were 51-60-97-98.

8 Likes

Twilight Imperium: 4th Ed Yesterday. My firend arrived at 9:30 to help setup (I was the only player with a large enough table, 2m x 1m, plus an extra side board, spare chairs and a couple of shelves). We finished the game at 9:15, so relatively brisk. I was the Ghosts of Creuss, honestly felt relatively weak at the start of the game, so just couldn’t score points. Enjoyed it though, especially when I moved Mecatol Rex right next to my slice. The three players in the lead weren’t being aggressive to each other at all, which did kind of make that bit less fun. I’ve told them next time I’m going full warmonger if they don’t attack the leader, especially when they’re form of diplomacy is complaining when you take one of their undefended systems.

8 Likes

John Company with 4 players and 1758 scenario (aka with firms + possible Deregulation). One newbie and it was great.

I wasnt trying to be artsy here. Thats how the photo came out.

13 Likes

My wife and I played Lost Cities and Tyrants of the Underdark yesterday. Lost Cities was really close with my wife just a few points ahead going into the last round, but then fortune smiled on me and what I thought was going to be negative points in a couple categories turned around when I drew a high card for each. Got the win 85 - 49.

Tyrants, on the other hand, went terribly for me. We used the Dragon and the Demon half-decks, and my wife got a number of cards that devoured for good effects, thinning her deck of the starting cards, and also a bunch that gave me Insane Outcast, to the point I was essentially getting one per turn. Amazingly I got rid of all but one by the end of the game. Still, while I had total control of Menzoberranzan for a few rounds, my wife managed to fully take it over in about three turns and had total control of the bottom site for a chunk of the game.

So, I lost horribly, 112 - 50. Probably my worst score ever, and I think a high score record for us.

8 Likes

A relatively brisk just-shy-of-24-hours?

1 Like

Just shy of 12, we’re not crazy!

2 Likes

This was one of my huge concerns. I had a bad starting hand one game, and botched a play, and ended up about half a track behind everyone else. Within 2 turns I was back in first. The catch-up was just too extreme, and since then I feel like the preliminary laps are meaningless.

Heat is all about the Corners and Rouge is all about the Hills! Which seems right.

3 Likes

Yeah, I won my only game of Heat by virtue of never taking any risks. Despite other players trying to break away throughout the game, I was still with them at the finish, and I had a ton of heat to burn for the win at the final corner.

I’m sure the game is better than that, but it was an underwhelming first impression.

2 Likes

Late to the party, but regarding gateway games… I find them essential.

Playing games is not about raw intelligence. If it were, yeah, most any functioning adult could play any mainstream game. There is a skill, some kind of abstraction or lateral thinking required. Computer programming is the closest thing -

• Here is a contained environment with its own rules.
  • Here are a set of seemingly arbitrary tools you are allowed to use.
  • Here is a goal you have to get to, using the tools, staying within those rules.

Anyone who has programmed or played video games is familiar with this universe and can, with basic intelligence, figure it out. I have a programmer friend who had played literally nothing on a table, and we threw him right into Brass. Zero problems.

Other friends who have lived in a more concrete world struggle with things as simple as Sheriff of Nottingham. One is a venture capitalist who buys and flips tactile companies as a one man show - bus transportation, door manufacturing, etc. Put a piece of cardboard in front of him and he’s suddenly the village idiot.

Yeah, there’s something to the number of rules for person type B. But it’s more about the level of abstraction. My Dad is very smart but cannot understand deckbuilding to save his life. I have to ease him into things one new concept at a time. Select games that more closely mirror real-world concepts.

4 Likes

Small roundup:
Architects ot West Kingdom: BGA. Good game, doesn’t work asynch. I don’t like it online, too hard to keep track of what you and everyone else is doing. Like Ginkgopolis, it has to be on the table or real time. I also get worse every time I play.

Akropolis: Checked the box on this one. Fine. It’s Kingdomino+. But, generally speaking, if I want Kingdomino there is Kingdomino and if I want + there’s Habitats or Cascadia.

Mountain Goats: Still delivers! Solid. Especially after a round of Sequoia. Goats is more immediate, more social, more exciting, and (in my mind) more strategic.

Praga Caput Regni: What. What is this. We have found a game that is a Theme with mechanics pasted on. Nothing holds together, it’s arms-reach point-salad with no counterbalancing tension, just things scattered in different directions so you can’t touch two tracks in the same turn. Is it enjoyable? Yeah, it’s designed to give you stuff so you feel good. And it makes you feel good in a petty way.

Beautiful, though. The love for Prague comes out in the quality of the components and a beautiful (if hard to parse) board.

Like Tiletum, I’d play if someone else was campaigning for it but otherwise it’s a forgettable entry.

8 Likes

Metro X x2, I’d never considered ‘can be played lying down’ as an important feature of a boardgame, but my wife (who has a fairly serious back injury) has been very thankful for games that can, like Metro X. It helps that she always beats me at it also.

Archeos x3, continuing our 2 player games of this - I actually won one of the games, which has been getting rarer and rarer as we play it more.

Caesar!, this was a great game of this - I broke out with a very strong lead but my opponent closed the distance by the end, where I just squeeked in a win.

Above and Below, got to play with the Underforest and Desert expansion this time - it was a lot of fun, love the extra variety even though we didn’t see heaps from the expansion (all those status effects and supplies sat unused). My opponent had a few weak explores (lots of pots which he sadly socketed quite early). I got a good point scoring building and a bunch of fairly valuable resources so ended up with nearly double his score! Fun though!

9 Likes

Pictomania - aahhh fun snappy party game. Zero downtime. I’m surprised that this isn’t as well regarded as the others. I’d rather play this than a good number of party games!

The King is Dead 2nd edition - I tried to bring the French in to invade Britain, but failed.

4 player Imperial (1914) - Two players went hard on their starting countries - Russia and Austria-Hungary despite me telling them not to get too attached on a country. That left 4 other powers to be viable investment paths. I put my money initially on France and then stole Italy from Player C, which allowed me to get the taxation bonus instead of them.

Fast plays of Italy and France made them both overstretched against Russia/Austria with the former and Britain with the latter. Decided to invest on Britain and Germany next seeing that they are building up a massive force, which will inevitably lead to a massive expansion.

Britain end up having a big and stable holdings, in which I spent all my money into, and was rewarded with a 5x modifier on my British points.

2 newbies and 1 who played it before. Again, no shame in a defeat in Imperial where I won with a big margin. Being an Cube Rails/18xx/Splotter player means I can bring some heuristics from these games to Imperial. I am keen to play Imperial 2030 next.

Faraway - Euro design cut down to its bare essentials. The twist in the design is cute, but the strategy is rather shallow. Once you establish a strategy, the game then plays itself.

Sunrise Lane - cool game that gives this TTR vibe gameplay - designed by Knizia. It’s a good game, but the left-right binding is kinda silly.

9 Likes

Last night we played Star Wars the Deckbuilding Game, with me as the Rebels. I was usually a step ahead of my wife as I would destroy one of her bases before she would get mine. However, I had a great turn lined up if she had destroyed my second base a turn sooner, but she didn’t. I would have taken Sullust as my third base, which lets you put the first card you buy on top of your deck. With the Jawa I had in hand, I would have gotten the Millennium Falcon out of the galaxy discard and on top of my deck so my next turn I could have used it to take Han from my discard, which would then let me draw two cards from my deck, with the possibility of buying a good card and ensuring I get it immediately. Alas, it was not to be, and while I still got the Falcon, it never got to my hand before she destroyed my last base.

Tonight we played Ethnos, using Elves, Wizards, Trolls, Giants, and Halflings. The first age was funny, as we both took the Giant token once for 2 points each, and then after scoring bands and the Giant token, we were both at 38 points. I pulled ahead after scoring regions though, but not by much.

Second age needs a bit of an asterisk, as I won by a good margin, however my wife mistakenly thought I had the 3 Troll token, so felt pretty good when she got the 4 and 2. I managed to grab the 1 just before the end of the game, paired with my 5 from early on in the age let me win ties. Had she noticed what I actually had, she would have played a little differently. Regardless, I won by winning most of the regions and outscoring her in bands, 136 - 102.

3 Likes

Played the first 2 handed learning game (solo will follow) of Firefly. Just the base game. As much as I like Firefly this first game was a bit on the boring side. But this was the same experience I had with my first play of Outer Rim. They are quite similar except for the map and the decks and the world of course. Definitely needs a bit more complexity or more players. And I think I need to read up the rules for alerts. Also big thanks to @RogerBW for his wonderful rules :slight_smile: Very very helpful!

Also went to FLGS today to pick up my copy of: Wyrmspan.

And played a game against the Automa. “Schwinge” is more or less a synonym for “Flügel” but Schwingen are larger and … more majestic. Eagles have Schwingen. And dragons of course.

All in all, if you don’t have a copy of Flügelschlag and you are reading this forum I would recommend getting Wyrmspan instead. I often prefer 2nd iterations, they streamline whatever ideas were developed in expansions back into a cohesive whole, address critique and are generally less messy. Also dragons. I particularly enjoyed the dragon compendium with the flavor text. My partner might declare it his favorite component of the game :wink:

There is also less plastic in this edition. And no dice. I’ll write more another time as I now have to return to the adventure awaiting me in Baldur’s Gate 3 which incidentally relates to a dragon.

10 Likes

I feel that one of the dragon food tokens should be a silhouette of a mounted knight, and another one perhaps a damsel with hennin.

4 Likes

Oh and because it needs to be mentioned: Wyrmspan is not sufficiently different from Wingspan that I would recommend it if you find the original boring or dislike it. It’s as much Wyrmspan as Dune Uprising is Dune Imperium (I don’t have Uprising yet but from all the reviews I’ve seen, this is the same type of development)

4 Likes

Last night I got trounced by my wife in both Lost Cities and Star Wars the Deckbuilding Game.

Then today we had a nice brisket lunch at work, so knowing I would have a little more time than usual, I brought Maquis. Got two games in, both resulting in a draw as I accomplished one mission but not the other before losing all of my workers. I think I may need to use the Black Market more.

4 Likes