Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Last night I played a two handed game of Spirit Island. I introduced all the elements from the Branch and Claw expansion, trying out Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves paired with Vital Strength of the Earth.

I struggled with Fangs, as a lot of its cards are Range 0, or can’t target a land with Blight, and I am just not that skilled at the game yet, I guess. Vital Strength was a huge help in defending lands during Ravages, and I did get a power for Fangs that defended 3 in Jungles and Mountains, which helped as well.

It took time, but I started getting decent presence on the island when the Blight card flipped and made me lose 3 Presence each from the island, which really set me back. Still, I managed to claw my way back to what I thought was a win. Then when flipping through the rulebook, I came across the Cascade rules and realized I had totally forgotten about it! As such, I most likely would have lost the game due to cascades, but since I would have made different decisions, I’m calling the game void.

The new mechanics of the tokens and event cards add an interesting layer to the game, although man, some of those event cards are brutal!

4 Likes

Sharp Fangs does the range 0 thing because it can move its presence along with Beasts, which means you can be much more flexible than most spirits in terms of where your presence is turn to turn. You do of course need to be able to move the Beasts, but then, it’s got those tools too.

2 Likes

Got a few rounds of Concordia Solitaria in.

Three takeaways:

• Concordia is getting better with more plays
  • These deterministic, mathematical games play really differently solo and asynch, compared to live. I tend to prefer playing by gut and calibrating said gut over time. Gaia Project and Concordia et al, solo, send me to my desk to stew on moves while I work. It scratches a different itch.
  • The structure of this particular bot is too easily exploitable. It isn’t random, but rather takes a defined action in response to each action you take. As such, it’s pretty trivial to starve the bot out of the card market (by focusing your effort on making one action super efficient, and only doing that action a few times). Adjusted difficulty levels merely shift the handicap you or the bot play with, they don’t actually add new dynamics or strategies.

So I’m not sure this will go into the pantheon of solo modes. That said, Concordia was never that interactive in the first place and it’s still a pleasure to play with some force randomly grabbing cities, blocking routes, and snatching the odd card here and there.

6 Likes

After yet another catastrophic pair of losses, I’ve wrapped up chapter two of my Under Falling Skies campaign with my first victory! I am now one for seven.

An absolutely monumental turn in the mid-game accrued an incredible thirty research points, sky-rocketing me to the upper regions of the research track – but at the cost of all the enemy ships threatening to bombard the city before I could finish the job.

The following turn left the city on the brink of destruction, but I managed to survive it (barely, and only after a long time of considering different arrangements for the dice I’d rolled… the solution didn’t occur to me for quite a while, and the thought of failure after such an epic turn was a bit painful, so I was elated when I finally realised the way out!)

The next turn saw me both mopping up the remaining threats and also making the penultimate jump up the research track to leave me with only one big push remaining, and in a near-perfect situation – all but one of the enemy ships were starting from the mothership with a full six spaces for them to travel without causing damage, which also meant that (somehow) the mothership still had several spaces available to descend before it would destroy the city. I would have been desperately unlucky not to take the victory at that point, and thankfully I notched up the win.

Cairo survives!

Photo of final state (spoilers)

4 Likes

We played Terraforming Mars for the first time in ages. As usual my wife won. We went about the game in fairly different ways, but my point engine couldn’t get far enough ahead to outlast her board presence.

8 Likes

Played the final stage of the Marvel Champions Rise of the Red Skull campaign, soloing as 2 heroes.

Obviously everything about it is a spoiler.

It’s pretty tough! Not helped by some incredible bad luck on the timing of events, such as where I’d just done a trick to organise getting some great cards next, right in time for the enemy to make me… discard the next 5 cards. Or when I’d be absolutely fine so long as nothing… and then my Nemesis showed up, giving me +1 big minion and a side scheme with the one icon I didn’t want on top of the current side scheme with the same icon.

On the other hand, I worked out afterwards that I’d forgotten to flip one of the campaign upgrades to the Advanced side for the final mission, so I should have had a power to draw an extra card occasionally. Didn’t matter, I still won (just) on the simplest difficulty with Hawkeye and Spider-Woman.

The campaign upgrades are fun: +1 powers that stay with you, really good allies that you can rescue along the way (Moon Knight!) and best of all, one-shot big items. Saving my “Draw +5 cards” through all the stages to use it in the Red Skull’s face was very rewarding, and +5 cards when you need them feels like going into orbit.

A fun campaign, but Zola (stage 4) and Red Skull (stage 5) are very difficult even on the easier settings. I had a lot of rounds where I was just beating down the latest threats without making any other progress at all. That often happens until the endgame (heh) when you have your engine fully built, but this was CLOSE.

Still an absolutely incredible gateway to LCGs, and they’re managing to convey the character and style of each hero through their deck in ways that make it feel like you’re bringing something new to every fight.

1 Like

I played another solo of Planet Unknown with another of the weird planets: Cerberus is 3 smaller planets instead and the Republic as my coroporation. And I failed so badly the scoring table said „Oops, we need a new planet“ that‘s for scoring 15 points below „ask“. But it was quite fun getting to that terrible score. So there‘s that. I think I should play the basic side and beginner corporation a couple of times before graduating to the grown up version. I am really really happy with the game. Now if only it was easier to shuffle the tiles…

We also recently played a first session of Sleeping Gods. My partner quite enjoyed it. We found our first totem although the fight preceding the finding cost us most dearly. We‘ll continue tomorrow.

And I had a 2 handed learning game of The Red Cathedral at last. I love it. The choices are all fun. Which sections do I claim, which die do I move, which workshop bonus to which die color… and it‘s so quick. I can see my partner drowning in AP when choosing which die to move the first couple of times… but it might be a game he could enjoy at 2 players. If not there‘s the solo variant. Definitely hoping to play this more.

6 Likes

Three Kingdoms Redux - this game reminds me why I always try games that I assume to be not my thing. Because it surprises you and ends up actually being your thing.

Initial assumptions is that it’ll be another average Euro game that is so disconnected to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms theme. But no, it turns out to be an auction game where the “auction pieces” are your generals and have special abilities with them. The game’s scoring mechanism are a bunch of area majority contests.

The only exception was the armies: sending armies to capture border regions, and this one has excellent tempo management. If you send a general with an army, that general is out of the game in terms of using them for auctions. In addition, you have to pay upkeep on all the armies you send out. While you score every round for these armies, you are losing momentum. And so you have this difficult question in front of you: keep your generals with you, but you’re missing out on improving your VP-per-round rate, or send them out but you lose a general and have to devote effort on maintaining your armies.

I am surprised on how straight forward this game is. The auction spaces are simple. The border regions are straight forward, and so on and so on. The spicy sauce are the special abilities on each of your generals and the minor tableau building in front of you, which colours your entire gameplay.

I really had a great first impression of it.

Turn the Tide - intense trick taking. Simple rules and the table was having a great time. You can’t doubt Stefan Dorra

Unearth - subverted my expectations (I was expecting this to be another collect-bits-and-convert-bits-to-VPs). There’s set collecting malarkey, but the dice placement was pretty interesting.

Push It! - puuuuuush it!

Tigris and Euphrates - all first timers and they all played pretty well. I lost as they thought that kneecapping me is a good idea and I loss out on a crucial war where the defender revealed 3 tiles to me. Excellent

5 Likes

This sits unassumingly on my shelf as one of the longest-kept and most beloved titles in my collection. It’s a filler and it isn’t going to set your pants on fire, but it’s never missed with anyone I’ve played with, and there’s just something pleasing about the way it all comes together. It surprised me, too. I bought it initially on the very enthusiastic insistence of my favourite local comic book slinger. Great quick pub game.

[EDIT] My partner and I played our first and maybe our last game of Piepmatz this evening, which was a grueling 90 minute affair. It’s a really good game, my partner seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, and there seems to be plenty to chew on as a competitive game but it activated her (already legendary) AP something fierce. Even more damning, it’s locking her up in the kind of way that’ll get worse with skill. It’s not that she isn’t getting it, it’s that she absolutely is getting it and is allowing herself the unlimited time she needs to math out the perfect moves. If she liked it enough to ask for another go, I’ll be open to it for now but my goodness that was a rough, rough sit-and-wait.

9 Likes

Rainy day meant it was perfect Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective weather! We continued out journey through the third box. The Jack The Ripper campaign long behind us, we dove into the first stand-alone case, Doctor Goldfire. It was super satisfying, we answered every question the game asked of us and did it correctly! Score is of course irrelevant.

After supper, we played a couple of games of Everdell. I won the first one 45-41 and my wife won the second one 62-59. This game continues to justify its place in our collection with gusto. It’s super super good, and I love that every game do far has been tight as hell.

9 Likes

Played quite a few recent acquisitions, to justify my buying habits:

• Aeon’s End: Legacy of Gravehold: Got this a while ago, just finished the campaign. The bosses and player cards are solid, but I felt the mages were too derivative, and I hated almost all the legacy/campaign mechanics. The fire mechanic was pointless, the story was inane and overwrought, and the upgrades were mildly interesting, but not enough to feel meaningful. Love this game, hate the story and everything around it (except Expeditions, which are excellent).
  • Cafe: Played this one a ton, all solo. It’s really neat! I was worried it would be too procedural (to get points, you literally need to take action A, then B, then C, then D), but the tile-laying puzzle keeps it interesting, and different bottlenecks pop up each game.
  • Mini Rogue: I’m not sure this one really qualifies as a game? It feels like someone played a single game of Nethack and made a micro game from it, and that is not a compliment. A lot of rules for barely any decisions; I might give it one more chance, but the first game was pretty painful.
  • Caper: Europe: Really like this one. A lot of two-player games are tightly competitive (see Battle Line, 7 Wonders: Duel), and some are fun and playful (like Jaipur), but this is one of those rare games that is both. You have the tension of the triple tug-of-war with the locations, but also freedom to chase points through other avenues, like stolen treasure or card effects. I’ve only played with the Paris city cards so far, but am excited to try out the others. And the art is delightful!
6 Likes

Perfect Alibi , another deduction game. There are four characters, and four possible times of day, so 16 possible combinations. One card is taken out at the start, and you have to deduce which card that is, by asking the other players how many cards they have matching either a time or a location. And you can specify multiple times and locations. I had it down to four when each of the other players failed on their guess. But unfortunately I had answered a question incorrectly. Which is the biggest problem with these sort of games. It happened during Loot of Lima last week as well, and it really screws you up.

Aeon’s End . We fought the Carapace Queen again, and, again, we failed. Just so hard to stop husks from spawning, that’s what kills us. And trying to destroy them is damage you’re not doing to the actual boss. We had a minion that spawns a new husk every nemesis turn, and you can’t destroy it while there are any husks in play. Well, we like a challenge.

Trajan , it’s been too long since we played this excellent game. Definitely ,my favourite Feld, and probably in my top five overall. I had an awful start, barely any points, and failed to meet any of the peoples demand, losing me 15 points and putting me into negative. Later on I managed to snooker myself, every possible move ended with the Trajan action, and all of my places were full. Can’t blame anyone but myself, just poor planning. I recovered a little, and had nothing much in end game points. I usually try and do the construction action, but just couldn’t seem to get it happening. It’s still a terrific game.

Noch Mal! , finally, a win!

Fantasy Realms

6 Likes

Some games over the last week and a bit (though was in Covid iso for much of it but made up for it with some games online and solo):

Raiders of Scythia, only my second game of this one but was a little rusty on the rules. We mostly played it correctly (though some icons were misread at points) I won with a solid lead despite a slower start than the others. Managed to score double points for Patak on 5 eagles, which helped. I did the most quests too, with a lot of snatching one a turn before someone else was planning on grabbing them :stuck_out_tongue:.

Three Sisters, solo run at this one - lowest score I’ve ever managed :frowning: . Probably didn’t focus my strategy enough - despite how sandboxy it feels, you do need to specialize a bit to get the big points.

The Castles of Burgundy, good run at this one, broke 200 which is how I tend to measure ‘good’ games of this one (though I’m sure pros can do better than that). I nabbed both the castles and the mines early which gave me a solid lead, supplemented by some good point scoring knowledge tiles later in the game.

Carcassonne, two games of this, won the first, lost the second. The second was very vicious, as games with familiar players seem to go…

Photosynthesis, this one kicked off my ‘yay out of iso’ gaming on Sunday. It’s a lot of fun. Figuring out how to do well is tricky and leans more tactical than strategic but I like it.

New York Slice, played this with two for the first time. It’s not at all as bad as I thought. It’s pretty quick as the decision making becomes much more simple but it works. Won by 1 point, so turns out we were splitting pretty well!

Biblios, I may like this the most with 2 players. The auction was weird this game though - i think i went into it with like 4 money cards. I managed to snag 4 of the dice so a solid win, including one whose value my opponent kept bumping up and then lost by 1!

Super-Skill Pinball: 4-Cade, solo run at the Dance Fever table - broke 250 but felt like I was struggling to sync up the backglass minigame with my table play. I’ve got a feeling you could get a super high score if you managed to do that well…

5 Likes

We played some more Crokinole. I don’t think we’re very good, but this is still a massive hit. So easy to just reset and go again.

7 Likes

Had some good gaming this weekend with my wife! First up, a quick game of Lost Cities Friday evening, which had me winning all three rounds for a final score of 160 - 86.

Then on Saturday while our older kid was napping, we broke out Istanbul with the Mocha and Baksheesh expansion. Due to not playing it for a while, I had to go over the expansion rules really quick and made a big error with the guild cards. I read that when youbwent to the Guild Hall, you draw two and play one card, but the correct rule is place one card in the discard pile. It wasn’t until I noticed the iconography for the Guild Hall and the Caravansary were practically the same that I double checked it. This was after my wife had made very good use of it, and even questioned if we were playing correctly because it seemed so powerful.

We started playing by the correct rules, letting me do one visit to the Hall with the wrong rule in an effort to balance things out a bit first. Too late, I think, as my wife won before too much longer, 6 - 3.

We then played a couple of games of Hanamikoji. I won the first game in one round, getting the favor of four of the geisha to secure the win. The second game took three rounds with a lot of back and forth, but I eventually won the same way. Such a good game, with a very easy ruleset, but interesting decision space.

Then we brought Ghost Stories to the table for the first time in a while. As usual, we played on easy difficulty, and also as usual, we lost. I was the red monk who can travel anywhere, and my wife was the green monk that can reroll the dice. Things were mostly under control, but then a bunch of ghosts came out at once, locked off green and yellow’s abilities, while we had a haunter or two out.

The boards completely filled up, but we got to Wu-Feng. It was an incarnation that required rolling the curse die each turn and needed 5 black pips to defeat, and the circle of protection was set to red. I died, I think froma curse die roll. My wife was able to revive me, but went to 1 Qi because her board was full too. While I had wanted to set the circle to black, I had to pay a Qi at the Sorcerer’s Hut to remove a ghost from her board, as she had 2 black tokens, and as such had a slim chance to win. She moved to Wu-Feng, rolled, and got 1 black, rerolled, but couldn’t get the two more we needed to win, and the village was overrun.

Later, we played again, and since we were “doing so well” (spoken quite sarcastically) we decided to up the difficulty to Nightmare level. So instead of starting with 4 Qi, we only had 3, we no longer had a starting black Tao token, and now there were 3 incarnations of Wu-Feng in the ghost deck.

We actually did better than we expected, and if it hadn’t been for a 4 pip red tormentor that was on the board way too long and haunted a couple of tiles, we’d likely have gone further. We beat the first incarnation, Hope Killer, which requires two each of red, yellow, blue, and green. As the yellow monk that can take a Tao token at the beginning of each turn, I was well equipped, though my wife had to come over as well and perform the exorcism, as I was rolling so badly all evening. My wife was the blue monk that can perform either action twice, which was great for getting the Buddha statues.

We got to the second incarnation, a black one which required the space across from it to be free of ghosts in order to exorcise it. I would have probably taken it out, however a 4 pip green tormentor ghost came out, and between it and the red one we were screwed. Sure enough, green rolled a haunt result, giving us our third haunted tile and another loss.

8 Likes

What were you thinking! :wink:

Ghost Stories is so tough and relentless, we never win

4 Likes

At least we didn’t go for Hell difficulty, which would mean we don’t start with our Yin-Yang tokens.

3 Likes

Why would anyone want to play Ghost Stories on anything but easy?
I really need to get this out again. I only played once with both expansions.

6 Likes

Had another round of Planet Unknown, this time just the standard board and corporation and surprise surprise: I managed to exceed the „ask“ points of 59 bei 13, scoring 72 points. (Ask goes like this: 60 is the default. In solo you have to use the event cards and depending on how many easy, moderate and difficult events have come up the point value to win gets modified. I had a lot of moderate and difficult events so those canceled out the easy events and exceeded them even). I had planed my last couple of turns badly and so didn‘t score some high value columns because I couldn‘t complete them—I think I waited to long to place tiles there because I desperately wanted to save the crew pods down there which give less VP than completed columns….

Then we played our second session of Sleeping Gods. We‘re now through the event deck the 1st time. We have recovered 3 totems, almost died on an easy fight and heard a lot of grumbling on the randomness of the fate cards. Should definitely have started on super-easy mode with some money and XP to spend at the start. The story seems cool, the world is definitely cool but the game in this game is exactly the reason I never bought Ryan Laukat games before and likely won‘t buy them again. It feels like a lot of book-keeping to recover from each challenge (we never have enough command tokens) and each fight is a desperate struggle to somehow not die—even when the difficulty level is „easy“. We just spent two full turns sailing in circles to repeat an action that just gave us 1 meat because risking anything else seemed… deadly. What I like best is the whole keyword mechanism. But that‘s just a trick for the story telling and not what I consider gameplay.

When I think sprawling campaign game, I also can‘t help but compare with Gloomhaven. The only reason we haven‘t been playing that is the stupid amount of setup the game requires. But I am almost sure that when we are done with this Sleeping Gods campaign, we‘re going to play Gloomhaven again. Probably just in time for Frosthaven to ship :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You don’t think you’ll be done Sleeping Gods before 2027!?

3 Likes