Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

There are two parts to it:

• Recognising how to hit a faction where it hurts. Some factions can look very powerful on the board, but they aren’t really earning many points. On the opposing side, the vagrant needs to be bopped on the head early on when they look relatively harmless. Knowing how a faction earns points and how to stop that, takes some understanding. Every other faction looks far stronger than your own. It isn’t until you play the others that you realise how fragile they all are.
  • Most turns need to simultaneously put yourself ahead and knock someone else down. This is where if each player don’t do their bit, another player can shoot ahead (as Quinns described). Likewise, if a single player is repeatedly hit down, it can wipe them out entirely while allowing another player the space they need to shoot ahead (as Quinns also mentioned in his review). Your enemy’s enemy is your friend, so it’s never great to wipe out a faction.

I’d liken Root to trying to hold the wheels on the cart. When it works, all factions hug together on the score track. You can see the chaos when the factions separate out. Sometimes that happens quite early, sometimes it holds together until the very end when someone tries to break loose from the pack.

I think it works well though, since everyone needs to knock everyone else down. It’s not the sort of game where a specific faction has a strength that balances out another specific faction. Most factions can handily manage the others.

The expansions complicate things largely. Less straight forward and aren’t always outright aggressive. The base game has a tight COIN set up. Each expansion steps away from that core idea into more of a mechanically based “how would we introduce new player systems that work in the same structure?”. It’s a bunch of mini games that build into a larger game.

2 Likes

On the other hand, it is true that the Eyrie are worse at handling the Alliance than the Marquise, because of all the forced movement and the way outrage hurts the Eyrie more. The Marquise is better at sitting on them and passively blocking.

On the other other hand, the Alliance can and should exploit this difference.

Some games this week:

History of the World, a friend brought his copy of this over for us to play this week. Second game for me (though I barely remember the first time). It’s not awful. Though I’m not sure I’d ever really choose it over Small World - they are really quite similar but History is slower and a bit more dicey. I do like the theme, though, like Small World, the question of who you’re actually playing as is perplexing. Some kind of immortal omniscient master of history (my friend suggested renegade timelord :stuck_out_tongue:)? It’s a bit weird.

Welcome to…, always pleased to get a play of this one in. Still my favourite Roll and Write (though there are a few potential competitors on the horizon…) I managed some big points off of my 5 house estates and won comfortably.

51st State Master Set, another game I’m always happy to play. It was new to the other two. One of them caught on very quickly (he’s a game designer by profession though, so natural advantage). The other took a little longer, but it was still a decently close game by the end. Seems to run very consistently to 4 rounds. I would really like to pick up the extra faction boards from Portal, but shipping to Aus is a bit crazy…

Jaipur, very close game of this, my opponent ‘got it’ very quickly and ended up winning 2-1. The third round was horrific - lowest score I think I’ve ever gotten for it (52!). Good fun though.

2 Likes

Would you recommend getting it now and who would you recommend it to? Have you played any games to which it is similar? The bgg categories paint too broad a picture with worker placement and tableau building…

1 Like

@Benkyo @mistercrayon I saw the light in regards to Kingdom Builder back in 2019. Vaccarino is a genius. But It’s weird that Dominion is praised for its strategy (which I agree), but KB is dismissed for its "too random"ness.

My issue with Dominion is that I just dont like deckbuilders.

2 Likes

I would, if you think you might like a tableau building, card driven engine builder - it’s one of my favourites. There’s a little more going on than something like Race for the Galaxy but there is a bit of a common core with the multi use cards and engine building. More flavor in 51st State though, but it is a longer game. The engine building is front and centre - everything you do is (hopefully) helping you gather and utilize resources in increasingly efficient ways and translate them into points. Hmm you might even think of it as existing somewhere between Roll for the Galaxy and Race. That’s probably the best comparison I can think of at least. I remember Quinns talking about its predecessor, Imperial Settlers, as a game that gives you just a little fuel each round and then the game is in seeing how far you can get with it. 51st State definitely maintains that feeling.

There’s direct interaction unlike Race and Roll though, but having a location burned down does present a number of consolation prizes, so it (almost) never feels like a huge blow. Otherwise the interaction is more in snagging something before your opponents manage to.

2 Likes

Big day of gaming! Well, a big day for one particular game, anyway.

Nemesis , first play. I tried to resist buying this, but it has so many positive reviews, all saying how much its like the Alien movie (the first movie). I have Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps that based around the second movie, and its (obviously) a much different movie and game. I love them both, of course.

Onto the game! We decided to try playing in full co-op mode, just thought it would be easier to learn the game. And we chose our classes, rather than do it the way the game wants (you draft from two class cards). I ended up with the Soldier, other players were the Pilot and the Scout. There’s a bit of setting up, as you lay out the various tiles representing the ship layout, and the various decks of cards required. The idea is that you’ve all awakened from hypersleep, with no memory of the ships layout. And there’s a corpse of a teammate lying there, which isn’t a good sign.

Each player gets an objective card with their conditions for winning the game. In a normal semi co-op mode, you have two objectives and will choose one to achieve during the game. In pure co-op, you just have a single objective. Mine was to send the signal (back to Earth) and explore all the rooms. Another player had to collect an alien egg, and the last player had to also send the signal, and destroy either the entire ship or the alien nest. It doesn’t matter who achieves the objective, but all of them have to be done. We decided destroying the ship would be easier, and we would get off the ship in the escape pods. Which, of course, don’t start unlocked.

Each class has its own deck of ten cards, and also a starting weapon. And you have two cards that you can create as you go along (which none of us did…). You have a hand of five cards each turn, and you take two actions per turn, using basic actions like moving, shooting, picking up objects, trading, and crafting. You can also use actions from cards or from the room you’re in. Each action has a cost, paid by discarding cards from your hand. You can also search a room for items, which can come in handy.

So, off we went, a bit slowly as we had to check rules quite often. Moving between rooms requires you to roll a noise die, which places noise tokens in a corridor. If a corridor gets two noise tokens, an alien intruder is drawn from the bag and placed on the board. And this isn’t Aliens, where you can mow down aliens with your M56 Smartgun, while screaming “Lets rock!”. Even with a weapon, you might be better off running away.

One of our players had the misfortune of moving into a slime room (there’s no way of knowing what a room is until you explore it. There are worse things than being slimed, but it’s not that great either. Our first couple of encounters drew larva, the most basic of intruders, only needing a single hit to kill. Then we pulled the Queen (the biggest of the intruder types), but luckily the Nest room hadn’t been found yet, so the Queen didn’t actually appear on the board. We continued exploring (since that was an objective), and we needed the nest to get an egg. We checked the engines and found two out of three of them were damaged, which would destroy the ship. Fine, that was the plan anyway.

I had my first encounter with an adult intruder. I thought, being the Soldier class, surely this wouldn’t be too bad. I rolled a blank, so that missed. Tried to attack again on my next turn, still failed. We eventually found the Next, it was (of course) the very last room tile we explored. I picked up an egg, since the character that needed the egg would have to drop her weapon to pick one up (because she was injured). I’d picked up a couple of contaminated cards as well. These fill up your hand, and can’t be used as discards. If you don’t find a way of getting rid of them, they need to be scanned at the end of the game.

So, I eventually made it to the escape pod and off the ship. But I had three contamination cards. The first two were clear, but the third was positive for infection. To check, you put the card in a scanner, which then shows the words, its very clever. With the infected card, I needed to shuffle my deck, with the contaminated cards, and then draw four cards. If any of them were contaminations, I was dead. And, first draw, bam! Sadly, I died, and we failed to complete the objectives. All up, it took us about six hours, twice as long as I expected. But it didn’t feel that long, which is a credit to the game. It feels like the odds are against you, especially at the end when you are trying to get into an escape pod, and any intruders can stop you. We were all pretty drained by the end. So we played some lighter games after it.

Nova Luna , close game, I was only two tokens behind, couldn’t do it.

Oriflamme , which I also failed to win (despite the group saying I win all the time). I still love it, and have the expansion on order.

Bandido , we just can’t give up on this game until we win. We had two games, and things looked promising at first, but then it just gets out of control. Still fun, if a little annoying when we lose.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. Zee Garcia is the one who got me interested. I had no idea about the Imperial Settlers connection. As I have Race and am considering Roll (because dice) and have had to disown Imperial Settlers, it may not be for me to own.

1 Like

:neutral_face:

How long do I have to glare before you finally buy Roll?!

3 Likes

Just played Red Rising with my partner for the first time. It was not a successful introduction. We played with open hands to mitigate the fact that I have already soloed this 4 times.

It didn’t help. Neither of us started with a good hand that suggested a strategy from the start. I got „lucky“ (with a bit of help by making moves to bring out more cards from the draw pile) and found the twin to one of my obsidian cards which allowed me to increase my hand by 2 cards on the next turn and more cards is always better.

After that the game was basically over.

My partner ended with 5 cards in hand and me with 9. 7 is more or less optimal. I scored 284 to his 199 VP which is a respectable score for a first hand. Mine was far worse. But it was still frustrating…

It is a mistake to keep holding on to the cards with the best deploy abilities because you want them for end game scoring from turn 1. At the end of the game he had 3 cards from his starting 5 still in hand. He unnecessarily limited himself from playing them. I would still have won with the 2 Obsidian cards but likely by not as much.

Yes the game has no small amount of luck.

1 Like

Until the shops that have it listed for 40 instead of 50 get it back in stock in June.

In the meantime the rulebook for Cubitos was sent by Pegasus and also a replacement for the damaged board so we have dice to roll.

2 Likes

Try the :angry: instead.

4 Likes

I was thinking about it, but I didn’t want to be overly aggressive. Got to leave some room for escalation when required. Still plenty of time to work up to :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

A couple corrections (we also just tried Nemesis in full coop, although we didn’t finish because we were playing on TTS and having technical difficulties):

1. It is actually possible to know what a room is before you move into it. The Pilot has a “Ship Knowledge” card that will let them look at a room tile (but not the exploration token) as a 0-cost action, there’s a Recon Drone item that will show you both the room tile and the exploration token (I think it’s actually revealed, which the Pilot doesn’t do but we flipped anyway because coop), and there’s a room called the Monitoring Room that will let you see both. However, it is definitely not the default and we too stumbled into the slime room without warning. :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. When you draw a token from the bag for an encounter it just spawns (with the exception of blanks). The Queen checking for the Nest is if you draw her token as an Intruder Bag Development phase draw. You had an angry Queen on you. Sorry! She was literally our first Encounter draw. It was not great. Fortunately it was not a Surprise Attack and the Medic shot her with her Needle Gun which forces retreat rather than doing damage. The Queen promptly retreated into the technical corridors (i.e. despawned) and has not yet been seen again.
1 Like

Just to point out, Imperial Settlers is actually a reimplementation of 51st State. The Master Set edition did come out after Imperial Settlers but the original game is 2010. I got a cheap used copy of the 2010 version and really ought to get around to playing it someday. And then probably buying the Master Set instead.

2 Likes

Last week’s virtual games group meet:

For Sale, haven’t played this for ages. It always seems hard to believe that such a straightforward game can have actual challenge to it. But it really does. Not a thing I want to play every month or even every year, but definitely one that I want someone I know to know and bring along occasionally. (Didn’t you know that your collection exists for my benefit? I’m sure I sent a memo.)

Coloretto, never played this before though I believe it’s regarded as a bit of a classic. Definitely enjoyable, though again I don’t really want it for my own collection.

And The Crew, where we’re stuck on 5-player mission 12 (the one with the random card rotation after the first trick).

7 Likes

Hmmm, I wonder why our Pilot never used this ability

Bugger, we stuffed that up.That might have ended the game a bit quicker.

Possibly they missed it or didn’t understand what it did.

Yup, have never played the original 51st State, so my introduction to the ‘series’ was Imperial Settlers. I imagine iterating the design a few times is how we wound up with a box as solid as Master Set.

2 Likes

I find canvas to be really really boring.

The feeling I get when playing is that sometimes there is something good and I want that but mostly everything is rubbish and I just do whatever.

There’s a fun economy when a certain component shows up but those situations are as much about luck than judgement. I find also making the paintings a bit of an unsatisfactory element. I mean sure it’s fun to see what you end up with but mostly it’s just random.

3 Likes