Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

After a few weeks just playing Flamecraft here and there with my kids, I had a session with the local Geek Guild in Hastings library this Saturday.

We played Archeos Society first between 6, where even I was not very sure about what I was doing, I started leading the score board and then second after two “years”; but a terrible round of luck with cards and a really unlucky appearance of the monkeys very fast ruined my plans, and I ended 4th overall. Considering how little I had understood the game to start with, it was OK.

We moved onto a quick round of Passt Nicht! which was funny between 6, if a tad too chaotic. I didn’t do terribly, but again I fell sort of third or fourth overall.

Then we went on to play Winds of Strafe, which I managed to win easily. I played a very similar trick taking game (Pocha in the Canaries) back in the day, and that definitely gave me the edge (plus being lucky with cards, it is a trick taking after all).

We ended playing with 5 at Twilight Inscriptions. Or Space Lions: The roll and write game, as we christened (Or “Space Lions with boobs” as somebody else said after seeing the game cover: definitely not me :wink:). It was great on the one side, as it gave me a hint of what Twilight Imperium could be like, but as it tends to happen to me with this big roll and writes, I end up diversifying myself too much and not managing to score very well in the end. So I ended a terrible last with only 39 points, while the owners of the game ran away to high 60s and low 70s.

7 Likes

Quite a lot of gaming this week-end! :grinning:

Yesterday, one of Maryse’s old friends, Yvan, came over to get some gaming in. It was absolutely lovely to see him, he’s a fine gentleman with an adorable dog, a Cavalier King Charles named Spock, who got on famously with Baloney. We played:

1. Ticket To Ride: Rails And Sails, where Maryse slaughtered us 194-135 (me)-109. Y’know, one of these days I’ll win, or at least make it competitive…

2. Great Western Trail, just the base game since it was Yvan’s first time (and the heaviest game he’d ever played, to boot). Another slaughter by Maryse, who won 204-150 (me)-145. Yvan did super well with a building-heavy strategy, but it was a very long one. Next time, we’ll START with thr heavier game.

Then today, we babysat Clara and Léa, our nieces, 4 and 9 years old respectively. We played:

1. Ticket To Ride First Journey. I actually won, reaching six completed tickets first, Clara came in second with five and Maryse and Léa tied with four. This marks only the second time I’ve ever won the first game of a new game, with the previous time being Space Base (that’s also the only time I’ve ever won that one)! Good time was had, though I think Léa was more into it.

2. Carcassonne, always a favourite with the kids. This time Clara won. I don’t remember the scores, but it was NOT close. I came in second, Léa third and Maryse last.

3. The Fuzzies, first time with the kids, and oh boy, it won’t be the last. Don’t ask me who won, but there was much laughter, so we all won, I guess!

4. Click-Clack Lumberjack, see above, though I think it didn’t work quite as well as the fuzzy balls.The noise seemed to bother Clara a bit.

Heck of a week-end!

8 Likes

It’s been a fairly quiet time for boardgaming on my end since like early Jan :frowning: Hoping that’ll change soon (though catching Covid in the middle hasn’t helped…)

Fleet the Dice Game, this is such an excellent game, everytime I get it to the table it’s dynamite. And I’ve actually used the expansion stuff a fair bit (unlike the Three Sisters mini expansion which I’ve touched once…) Lots of fun.

Patchwork

Spots, this is probably one of my favourite dice games. It’s so simple yet has interesting decisions on top of the push your luck. I think it’s probably best with 2 though, with more it becomes less strategic for sure.

Star Wars Armada, last game of this was several years ago (pre covid certainly), so was thrilled to get it to the table with a friend. It’s still great, I won’t be selling it, despite it being a bit tough to get to the table. My opponent won the squadrons game but I won the (more important) capital ship game. Had an MC30c prove best in class by flanking and tearing up his Victory SD! Great drama.

I’ve also forgotten to log but have been playing some missions from Battles of Medieval Britain, which is a solo wargame I borrowed from a friend. It’s been fun. Quite random (I mean it is almost entirely dice driven so you’ll get that) but the system is interesting, I seem to have a knack for getting my horsemen killed early though, which doesn’t feel great…

I did also borrow Under Falling Skies from him, so I’m hoping to get that to the table soon.

5 Likes

Reibach & Co (aka Gloria Picktoria) - we called this Airlines Europe: the Card Game. Simple area majority with cards where you set up suits of cards and try to have the majority with them. Feels better than Spirits of the Forest. I bought GP from a local club member

Musketeers - blind bidding card game and when to play high and play low is pretty fun.

Alhambra - 6 players and it was pretty much a party game at that lack of control. The bantz were hot though.

Gulf Mobile & Ohio - AMAZING Cube Rail that isn’t a Chi-Ex derivative. I can feel that there’s gonna be more depth here with more plays. There’s not much shared incentives here. Indeed, it feels more like an old school German game where all the tools are to screw up other players or open up new avenues for them. Amazing.

Princes of Florence - I am appreciating this game more. We played with the old beige edition

Food Chain Magnate - one club member was keen to try so we tried. Did my usual show of base game with Hard Choices, with me telling what the opening moves are.

I went for Marketing Trainee, while the other two went for Trainer and RG x2. Being the player with 15+ plays against first-timers, I rushed with Marketing and achieved the $20 and $100 milestones. I was worried on how they would received it but they thought it was great with the tough decision making of the game.

I’m glad about that. What’s more important is for people to make an informed decision if they want the game or not, which is what the requester wanted to know.

Tournay - a rather disappointing spin-off of Troyes, which isn’t really my thing either

5 Likes

Had a couple of friends over yesterday, specifically one of my oldest friends and her boyfriend. We all played a couple games then the boyfriend and my husband watched the Super Bowl while my friend and I played a couple more games.

All four of us, played Raccoon Tycoon and Flamecraft. Raccoon Tycoon is a light market manipulation game that none of us had played before. It was solid. Three of us were within a point of each other then my friend was the runaway winner, almost 15 points up on the rest of us. Flamecraft is a solid little resource management that I like showing to people. My friend loved the cute dragons and got another win, though much closer. First to last was only a 5 point difference.

Once the guys abandoned us for football, my friend and I played a couple roll and writes. First was Cartographers, which is probably my favorite roll and write. You are drawing maps to fit scoring criteria. We played on one of the advanced maps (frozen lake of some kind) and enjoyed the extra challenges. I pulled off the win pretty solidly, 20 points up at 111 to 91. Then we played Welcome To…, also on an advanced board. This one was the zombie invasion. I found it a bit too tricky to try to manage all the zombie rules while still building my little neighborhood for normal scoring. My friend won her third of our four games, 66 to 73.

7 Likes

Besides playing some more Sprawlopolis and Insel Express, NPI inspired me today to have yet another game of Daybreak.

No plastic, working organization with some egg cartons for the components.

Final image. I won the game in 3 of the possible 6 rounds. It is entirely possible to win in round 2, I don’t think round 1 is possible but with a lot of luck it just might be.

In any case, as I’ve previously stated here, I am loving this game. I have played 16 games since getting my copy and I have won 13 of those. The ones I lost, I lost badly. But one tries to fight until the last round. I’ve had 1 multiplayer only with my partner which we lost. The solo is probably a little easier (and Efka alludes to what that effectively means in terms of the story the game tells).

I have only played with challenge cards once and lost… I like the game fine on easy mode for now.

So here is how it goes.
1-4 players, play over six rounds that have a bunch of phases.

• Phase 1 where players agree on a global project to pursue–these have positive effects and often need to be activated with cards. There can be a maximum of 4 such projects and their effects range from drawing extra cards, to mitigating consequences of various disasters to enhancing the green transformation. My biggest criticism of the solo is here: about half of these need to be removed for solo because they being global and all rely on player interaction. On the other hand… for multiplayer that is really nice to have so many interactive projects.
  • Phase 2 players get to draw their cards for the round and everyone then works on their own tableau, either
    1. playing cards to 1 of the 5 local project slots they each have as
      a) a new project on top of an old or
      b) beneath an old project to add the cards “tags” to it
    2. activate projects for their effects, these include: generating more energy, reducing emissions from various sectors, drawing more cards, rewilding forests and oceans, building resilience in social/nature/infrastructure spheres and more. It is a fun combotastic system that lends itself to long and exploitative-seeming turns. Here there are also some interactive project cards like Climate Reparations where you help out other powers by taking their communities ins crisis as refugees on your own board or give them cards. A lot of the activations cost cards. So even if someone cannot use a card they might use it to build more green energy
  • Phase 3: once everyone declares they have played and activated all the cards then the global “oopsie” phase begins.
    1. Everyone counts how many emissions they still generate–the player boards make this really easy and then you collect as many brown carbon cubes and place them in the “emission zone”
    2. You then distribute the emissions to the forests and oceans which offset some of them. The number of forests and oceans you start with is player count dependent.
    3. The rest goes to the thermometer.
    4. Every time a temperature band is filled up with carbon cubes (the number needed depends on the players) the temperature rises causing more tipping points to advance and more disasters to strike. Also the strength of the disasters often depends on the number of temperature bands you have accumulated.
    5. The “ouchy” die is then rolled a number of times depending on how badly you already fucked up the global temperature. There are 6 global systems that have tiny tracks they advance on (sea ice, major weather systems, ocean acidification, desertification…). The die rolls randomly to advance these. On each of them there are tipping points that do some bad things to the world when they are reached like killing of forests or oceans, adding emissions or directly full temperature bands…
    6. Disasters happen. One of these is always visible so you can “prepare” for it. The rest are unknowns unless you have card actions to make them known in the previous phase. These usually have you lose resilience, or add communities in crisis, kill off forests or oceans or make you discard cards. There is some variabilitiy here. But there are a lot of cards that can be mititgated by resilience so it’s imperative to build that up if you somehow can’t cut your emissions as fast as you would want to.
  • Phase: Bookkeeping. After the disasters there is a bit of bookkeeping to be done. Everyone’s energy usage rises by a fixed amount per world power.

You win if you ever achieve drawdown–having more emissions absorbed than you generate and survive the “Oopsie” Phase.
You loose if any player has too many “communities in crisis” or if you have reached the end of the thermometer or the end of round 6 without achieving drawdown.

The basic game is pretty easy (in solo at least) but you can adjust the difficulty upwards with challenge cards.

I love the combo-ing and also the hopeful and optimistic feelings the game produces. Yes, it’s telling a story. But not all the tech and projects that are in it are pure fiction. For example today I played “District heating” and our apartment is actually connected to such a system and if you scan the little QR code it has a pretty good explanation of how that works and where it works and why it is good in those circumstances. In the game it’s a card that requires a couple of money tags and alllows you to reduce building emissions once per round.

I highly recommend giving this one a try. It’s completely different from Pandemic (the other game by one of the designers that you have likely played) and it’s a fun combotastic game–with a message. You can’t ignore the message–it’s baked into every pore of the theme.

The BGA implementation is really good but if you want to win, reading the rules at least once is really helpful. (I tried without and… failed badly)

PS: the components are very nice, however my one component criticism–very slight one–is the board. The board is largely decorative and for playing on a smaller table far too big. I am sure that the solo community will have a printable tiny alternative soon enough because all you need is the 6 global systems tracks, a bit of space for forests and oceans and the temperature bands. On the other hand the board looks really nice and it’s great fun to absorb the emissions into the little forest and ocean tokens.

13 Likes

I had a solo game of Firefly, for which I blame @Marx for mentioning it yesterday…

I played the Desperadoes scenario with Marco and the Bonanza, and failed to reach the $15000 in 20 turns, but I had such a great crew with Kaylee and her amazing Hacking Rig, and Inara, Simon Tam and River Tam as well, that I could not stop myself and kept playing, just because.

I love this game.

9 Likes

Even though he has a traditional dislike to train games, I may be having a game of Brass: Lancashire soon with my mate Ben, so I had a “refreshing my memory” couple of games (two handed) the last couple of nights.

In doing so, I discovered I may have been playing it wrong in the past on the sale option, I may have been flipping port tiles when selling to foreign markets. Perhaps I wasn’t, but I had a moment of: oops, have I taught/played this wrong in the past?

Anyway, I have to admit the game is a delight. Cannot wait to play it with others again.

2 Likes

And remember, you can access foreign markets regardless of whether the port tile is flipped or not. For as long as it has the trade arrows icon, you good

3 Likes

Cheers, Luna. I had that right this time, definitely. And also through Yorkshire, Midlands, Scotland, if connected.

3 Likes

Several rounds of Heat via BGA. What can I say? It’s good. The whole table was scratching our heads at the equation, Heat #45, Flamme Rouge ~250, Automobiles ~1,000 (BGA rankings). All three are good. Probably a toss up and personal preference on which is your favorite. Flamme Rouge is mine. Another at the table prefers Automobiles. One liked Heat best. And I think that’s appropriate; all good, all evocative, slightly different flavors. Why this massive disparity in popularity?

Also played The Wolves with @COMaestro and @lalunaverde. Definitely want some more looks at this one. There were some brilliant moments - LLV was trying to hunt game and my pack closed in from the other side, prepared to “dominate” (read: abduct) one of his wolves, and he danced around it to snatch the wild pig. An early chance to cash in tokens to hustle the scoring phase and claim two scoring tiles for an early lead. COMaestro pulling ahead and then camping his entire pack on one of the last scoring tiles, abandoning the rest of the board but securing his lead. Just some interesting situations and clever plays.

Also I was left wondering if this has Blue Lagoon’s “porous” problem. Yes, I threatened LLV’s pack early but he just moved to a different terrain type. Yes, I secured some early scoring but by doing so CO just focused on other scoring avenues. Does the interaction mean anything if players always have three other, equally viable options to the thing you just took? If not, it’s just a race.

I’m not sure which way it will fall. I, at least, made a lot of little rules mistakes and didn’t keep track of all the scoring options so repeat views may bring it into focus. Regarding the common criticisms I’ve read, there is a player order problem. Giving later players extra starting tokens or better first placement seems perfectly viable for sorting that, just waiting for consensus on what and how much to give the later players. Regarding a static meta, I think that doesn’t hold up and it’s just a result of bad play. I’ve read comments that “of course everyone does [this] first every game” and I think any of the three of us would have instantly picked those strategies apart. Managing the game clock is central to the game and anyone who is off doing [that thing] too much will be left behind by anyone watching the board and the clock shrewdly.

So Wolves. Maybe genius, maybe mediocre. Time will tell.

4 Likes

The one of those (and I’d add Rallyman GT to that list of vaguely recent racing games) for which I noticed a marketing campaign was Heat; it was very well timed and I have to assume they managed to enforce quite a small release window, because I was hearing about it from many different places in the same week or two. It had the air of “we want to be this generation’s Formula D”.

Obviously marketing isn’t everything, but Tom raved about Heat and it’s produced to look and feel lovely in play. (Shame about the manual and the price.)

4 Likes

We need a game of Automobiles. I enjoy our last game. Im in the office today so Im slightly well behaved for now.

5 Likes

Heat had the small cache of being a Days of Wonder coming back to something slightly good after a couple of weird mediocre things I think. Also even if flamme was a success there is something to be said about heat building on that flamme success with some ace production and something far more generally appealing (race cars vs racing bikes)

Also by the time I think Flamme was regarded as good it was kind of old and with Heat people can get in on the ground floor of a “guaranteed” success.

5 Likes

Flamme got the same rave from Quinns and Tom Matt. It’s interesting how sometimes the reviews resonate and sometimes they don’t. I also think about Bruxelles 1897 and Red Cathedral. If anything, Bruxelles got the better treatment from Quinns but everyone latched onto the Cathedral instead.

4 Likes

In the SU&SD Plays, Quinns: “We kind of sometimes get a feel for how many copies have sold, based on our reviews, and we didn’t manage to sell as many of this, because you guys felt it looked boring.”

4 Likes

Ha. Truthfully I decided to pass until I watched the let’s play and there was a sudden I must have this moment.

4 Likes

Same here. The review was entertaining, but I didn’t really get a sense of how good Flamme Rouge is until the Let’s Play.

4 Likes

Seemed mediocre to me. Interaction dictated by efficiency, so no-one feels bad about being “targeted”, and the rest. Just, very euro.

3 Likes

I find myself wondering what the game would be if the points on the board (e.g., for upgrading to Lairs) were vastly reduced or removed.

1 Like