Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

How does the fun hold up? Still eyeing it but not sure if I need another 20 minute card game

Comes back to my personal rule. If can be playing card sized, it should be playing card sized.

2 Likes

Finally got back to my Arkham Horror TCG Dunwich Legacy campaign, playing Blood on the Altar. Things did not go well for Jenny Barnes, but they went better for her than for…a lot of other people. I had a shot at a good resolution, but I drew the Mob Enforcer treachery from my deck, which bogged me down for a couple of turns, enough for the Agenda to fully progress just after I eliminated him, which ended the scenario.

Luck was not with me tonight, as the Chaos Bag seemed particularly unforgiving, with a lot of -3 or worse draws, when I did the usual planning for -2. Did waste some turns early on trying to investigate locations for clues when I just did not have any assets to assist with that. Only moved on after the Searching for Izzie treachery came out, which worked out in the long run, as I found what I needed to advance the Act, just not fast enough.

I intend to finish up the campaign in the hopefully near future and then I think I will try it again with two investigators. A better clue finder would have really helped with this scenario.

3 Likes

Managed to get a few games in of the recently purchased Imperial Settlers. Really enjoying this one, had a feeling I would based on the videos I had seen. Couple of games against the girlfriend and I think my brief familiarity with the game gave me a slight edge. Also managed a few solo games of it, which is actually pretty easy to win but the ‘beat your own score’ element to it is strangely compelling. Really looking forward to the campaign-style expansion coming out soon for this, and the other factions you can buy for it mean I think this one is going to be hitting the table often for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Yep! I think the reason Jump Drive is holding steady for me is because it’s 20 minutes (or less!). Luck of the draw has played more of a roll than I previously thought, but ultimately I’m not bothered by it because I can always just play again! Multiplayer it may be slightly more frustrating if you can’t pull the cards you need – but I think that’s true of any card-based tableau builder.

In this case, I suspect it will feel luxurious once you get a familiarity for the cards; as it stands, not only are the cards too big, but they are hard to parse. The benefit of tarot-size cards is the text is, at least, quite large so it’s certainly a game I could play with my in-laws.

1 Like

I’d be all over it if it was say £15 or under. However it seems closer to £25 in the UK.

My partner and I played another Gloomhaven scenario yesterday afternoon which felt way too easy (#25) and in the evening my gaming girls and I played the awesome Codenames implementation that was shared by @bruitist over here. This online variant was immediately declared “better than the original” as soon as we set up the second game :slight_smile: Obviously, we’d be having more fun if we could meet up somewhere offline but for now this is a great non-TTS game to play with as many friends as fit on our jitsi. We followed this with a few rounds of Wavelength using the http://heretothere.app gizmo again.

Now that we’re on vacation-at-home there may be a few more boardgames coming up to be played and we just left out Gloomhaven on the dinnertable… because we can eat dinner in front of the TV

3 Likes

Yesterday I saw a copy get listed on BGG’s Market showing as shipping from the UK for £16 with £4 shipping within UK

1 Like

Finished that game of Raiders of the North Sea that we had “paused” last Tuesday with my daughter. Won 72 to 52, all because she just want to hang out to girls characters, which is fine, but they kept avoiding appearing for her out of the deck. So she wasted a few turns on the Gatehouse trying to get new girl cards.

I have to add that in daylight (we played in the afternoon with natural light) the grey meeples are easier to tell from the black ones, but I still bought some light grey paint from the game shop in Napier to paint them one of these evenings. Winter is coming and there will be plenty of games under the economy light bulbs of our dining room.

2 Likes

Here’s someone who likes to be well prepared!..

checks location

…Here’s someone who better get painting!

3 Likes

See I love both - Race gets a lot of online 2 player plays at BGA (it’s an exceptional 2 player game), Roll I enjoy playing more in person. I find Roll has a more satisfying arc - Race is almost a bit too fast paced. I’d be really curious to try Jump Drive or New Frontiers though, see if the rest of the family is as solid as these two.

3 Likes

Played The Great Zimbabwe - amazing amazing game. Ruleset equivalent to probably a mid-weight Euro, but very deep and engaging game of logistics. I was wondering where the player interaction is, but it showed its obvious interplayer dependency after a few turns. The victory requirement mechanism is a clever thing that should be used more often.

Definitely want more plays of this.

3 Likes

We should get one going on Boardgamecore. I have never played it.

2 Likes

Small 1 Player Guild gathering for the birthday of one of the UK members (originally planned to be in a pub in Silverstone) - which ended up meaning games of Rallyman GT, 6 Nimmt!, and Stone Age on boardgamearena with Jitsi as a chat service. Good people.

2 Likes

I’d be up for a rolling game!

1 Like

(What are rolling games?)

1 Like

My guess is 1 game at a time, waiting for the current Antiquity game to finish.

It’s either that, or playing TGZ while skateboarding.

3 Likes

I reckon my on my chance of besting @Benkyo at anything would be if he was skating at the same time. :grinning:

2 Likes

Video of Benkyo skateboarding

1 Like

I suck at some social deduction games, if that helps?

(I tend to go bright red if I’m forced to tell a lie I think is obviously a lie)

(I also can’t skate(board))

3 Likes

Does that mean I should put another game of The Resistance on my “forum games for Roger to run” list? The BGG Resistance community works surprisingly well.

5 Likes