Podcast #191 - 'The Final Boys'

2022-07-29T10:39:40Z

In this spooooooky episode of the Shut Up & Sit Down Podcast, Tom and Quinns are talking about just one game! It's the successor-sequel to Hostage Negotiator; FINAL GIRL! Will they get away from the killer? Will they be ‘stabbed a bit’? Find out NOW.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

OK, the thing that is always said by the 1 Player Guild about Hostage Negotiator seems to apply here too: if you play naïvely, then yes, it’s a very swingy game and you’ll fail a lot, but if you puzzle out a path to victory (which can vary from one setup to another), you can stand a fair bit of bad luck along the way. Though this sounds more swingy.

(I get the opposite of Quinns’ feeling: when I defeat a random setup, I think “well, did I really get good enough to defeat it, or did I just get lucky”.)

Regarding the potential for campaign rules: I think Ken Hite said that if the investigator goes back to confront another monster it’s not a horror story any more, it’s a monster-hunter story.

I’m always amused when people say “you spend that much on a video game” – because I don’t. I don’t go to cinemas and spend £11 on a single watch of a film. And so on.

But talk about burying the lede: Tom: “I’m done with Spirit Island.”

2 Likes

I occasionally fire up the app, thinking that there must be something behind all the buzz, and close the game unfinished. But yeah, after trying all the spirits in base and first expansion, I think I’m done with it.

I’m not sure spirit island is the kind of game I would want to play 6 or 7 times in a short period. It’s a great once in a while game, but I can see how you can easily burn out on it.