[PbP play thread] Gamesu-Ashru: DandD 5e in the Mysterious Crystal Kingdom!

Out of character:

You are free to begin preparing for the journey - or ask further questions! Simply tell me what you’d like to do or where you’d like to go, and I’ll set the scene for you. Feel free to interact amongst yourselves as your characters go about their preparations. On top of the amulets, you’ve been given 100 gold pieces each for things you might want to purchase - a list of purchasable goods can be found here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/equipment

Out of character
When we leave I’m going to buy
Oil - 1 silver
Dice - 1 silver
Fishing tackle - 1 gold
Signal whistle - 1 copper

I think it leaves me with 98 gold plus change

I’m happy to be led by other characters, I’m sure I’ll have questions as we go.

Having seen Shoo tooling up, Salazar decides some more weaponry may be useful, he sees Shoo and goes back into the market

He picks up a shield for 10 gold
A handaxe 5 gold
40 Arrows 2 gold
A bell 1 gold
Crowbar 2 gold

To Shoo

‘I’m glad I saw you as I came out, I think I may have been travelling a bit light’

1 Like

OOC:
I have 115 gp total. Can I please buy:
Dagger - 2 gp
Shortsword - 10 gp
Shortbow, quiver and 20 arrows - 27 gp
Net - 1 gp
Lantern, hooded - 5 gp

Shoo will just be wandering around the market/armoury looking for these items. He’ll converse with any PC’s that speak to him.

OOC: Not entirely sure on everything I should take, so tell me if I’ve made any glaring omissions or bad choices.

Poot enjoyed camping when he was younger, and doesn’t seem to have understood quite how serious, and potentially dangerous, this expedition could turn out to be. He is absolutely fascinated by Shikka’s amulet, but has willpower for now at least and pops it in his pack instead of trying to figure out how it works.

“This place is amazing! They have everything.”

“Shoo, look, I’ve bought some ink, a pen, some parchment to write on. I’ve got a tent and a bedroll, and a hammer for running repairs. I’ve got a pot to cook supper in, and a bar of soap. Just because we’re on the road doesn’t mean we can’t be clean. I picked up a rope too, just in case, you never know when you might find yourself down a well, I hear it happens all the time you know.”

“Oh look, it’s Salazar! Speak to you later Shoo. Salazar! Salazar! Coo-eee, it’s me, Poot, look at all the great things I’ve boug… ooh chalk!”

And so everyone within a 20ft radius soon knew the spoils of Poot’s shopping trip.

Poot's shopping list
  • ink (10 gp)
  • ink pen (2 cp)
  • parchment - ten sheets (1 gp)
  • tent (2 gp)
  • bedroll (1 gp)
  • pot, iron (2gp)
  • hammer (1 gp)
  • soap (2 cp)
  • rope, hempen (1 gp)
  • chalk (1 cp)

Poot is loaded up and ready for an expedition, his pack full of things, and 81 gp (and change) burning a hole in his money pouch.

2 Likes

OOC Poot’s shopping style seems similar to Salazar’s! My son’s told me that a bell is really important.

I was tempted to buy a ladder, just because.

"Poot, calm yourself. I suspect this mission could be dangerous. Do you have what you need if we have to protect ourselves? My friends have told me that you can cast some pretty powerful spells these days.

I hope I’m wrong and that we have plenty of time for recording our adventure.

These amulets are a thing aren’t they? I’m not sure I like the idea of Shikka knowing everything I’m thinking! I’ve got a few things to sort before we leave, I’m going to put it on as late as I can."

1 Like

“Well I did most of my wizarding in the School of Invention, and one of the brilliant things they taught us is how to craft a suit of arcanomechanical armour. It’s tougher than it looks and does the job. I’m not much one for hitting people, but my quarterstaff is enough for me. I’m much more useful when I’ve got someone bigger than me - which let’s face it, is most people - and a hand free so I can use a spell or cantrip. I prefer to put them to sleep or charm them to my way of thinking, but if push comes to shove, I can do a little damage”.

“But I think, Lucky old chap, that you might have had your senses dampened when you went all doe-eyed at Shikka. She told us not to wear it unless you need to, and in your case, I think she knows full well what you’re thinking without the need of a magical trinket”

Poot gives Salazar a knowing wink, and tucks into the meat roll he took out of his backpack when stuffing his shopping in.

1 Like

Salazar blushes, curses and gives the amulet a long look. He tucks it into his backpack and joins Poot and Nyx into tucking in to a late lunch.

1 Like

De wanders out to the blacksmith, selects a Silvered dagger and pays her 100 gold coins. Then she has a nap.

OOC

@Sagantine Do we have many opportunities to spend money later? If so, will be we get further income?

I’ve barely spent any money, but I feel like I’m pretty well equipped with my base weapons and packs. Is it worth keeping money, or in D&D is it better to spend it when you have it?

1 Like

(Great question!)

1 Like

Right when they are finished, Moran will go to his family owned café, and will proudly announce he and his friend were given a very important mission. He’ll pat on the head of one of his younger sibling when he ask what’s the mission about. “It’s a secret doofus, I can’t tell you!” and will bask in the oos and aaahs this announcement produce.

Moran then finds his mother, and gives her his purse with almost all the gold from Shikka in it.
“Hey, mom. Since I’m going for I don’t know how long. I am sure everything will be fine, but I’d like to buy Sassy. On a long trip like this, I’m sure a good mule like her will come in useful. And if you could give me some ingredient to make muffins, I’ll buy those too.”
“Yes, I know I don’t need to give you the coins, and this is not me saying goodbye forever, just please, take it. I know you need it!”

After a lot of hugging, he’ll go back to the market, spend a few coins on some tools, and tries to find everyone back.

“Hey Poots, Shoo, Salazar, De! Come over here! Look at this beauty!”
He tugs on the bridle of an old and bit dusty brown mule.
“She was almost a second mother to me when I was a boy! It’s a good girl, and very diligent! I’m sure you’ll get along fine.”

Shopping list
  • Cartographer’s tools (15gp)
  • Cooks ustensils (1gp)

-A mule (8gp)

• Bit and Bridle (2gp)
  • Saddle bag (4gp)
    -5 feed (25gp)
    -30 lb of flour (60 cp)
    -1lb of salt (5 cp)
  • 1lb of ginger (1gp)
  • 1lb of cinnamon (2gp)
  • 4 oil flask (4sp)
    -6lb of Silver (30gp)

Total 94 Gp

2 Likes

OOC

Buying the family mule before a quest seems like the D&D equivalent of ‘this is my last day before retirement’

Salazar pats Sassy affectionately. He’s always been good with animals and welcomes their company.

3 Likes

De brightens considerably, stroking the beasts flanks and introducing herself in a gentle whisper.

2 Likes

“Oh wow look, it’s an 'orse! She’s lovely”

Poot reveals an apple from the breakfast table that he’d stashed in the emergency snack pocket of his pack, and beams wide as Sassy crunches it up from his hand.

3 Likes

“Good idea Moran! A pack mule is always useful. The tales always tell of adventurers carrying loads of stuff, so this is perfect.”

He wanders into the cafe and enjoys a nice meal (-1 gp).

2 Likes

OOC :
I’m ready to leave town when we need to!

2 Likes

OOC
I’m also ready

1 Like

De has been ready for hourssss

2 Likes

(Yep, same here. Good to go.)

Me too, ready for the big off to see the world.