[PbP] - Brass Lancashire: Discussion

If the cotton demand marker reaches the bottom of the track, your sell action ends immediately. That means that the cotton mill doesn’t flip (the distant market tile is revealed first) and you can’t flip any further cotton mills in that action.

I am tapping the link icon to copy the address of a post, and pasting that into my reply.

I asked the question because I thought your choice to build that canal might be based on a misunderstanding. As it is, that canal is probably worth only 2-3 VP, and you might be better off doing something else.

Thanks both, I didn’t know that (and I thought there were more tiles in that demand track).

I’m going to change my second action

1 Like

The -6 demand reduction from my sales was about the maximum the demand could possibly have dropped.

1 Like

Yes, dammit. Just when I get into the cotton trade…

1 Like

You can only build a canal extending from your network. Rochdale is not part of your network, so a canal from there to Yorkshire is not possible (and also pretty pointless, as discussed above)

1 Like

But once ports are flicked, can they still be used for trade?

I don’t think so

That’s what I thought. Hence the idea to extend canals to Yorkshire as an opening.

I guess I will stick to the coalmine, then.

How is Yorkshire “an opening” though? 7/9 chance of trade failing, and once it fails, it’s over. All canals will disappear in two turns, before distant markets reset.

At the moment, only Ellesmere Port remains, I thought it was interesting to keep another source to sell. I have never played before, Benkyo, isn’t it obvious? :sweat_smile:

Neither have I =)

But if you are worried about the port shortage (there are 3, but only 1 currently linked to your cotton), why not sell to your port before someone else does?

Because I am that thick, you’re totally right. :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, didn’t want to be rude by making “suggestions”, and it probably would be better for me if you didn’t flip Ellesmere port now, so I wasn’t going to say anything, but your “only one port” comment had me thinking there might be a rule misunderstanding.

Not rude at all, I could not see the forest from the trees. But to be fair, I will not change the turn, you lot have been patient enough with me.

Oh, also also: Captbnut’s, Chewy77’s, and Geebizzle’s cotton mills are connected to the distant market via the port in Ellesmere even after the port gets flipped, so the 2/9 chance to sell is still there regardless of whether a connection to Yorkshire is made. The only reason to connect to Yorkshire now is for the 2-4 VP it gives you.

This seems to contradict the exchange between Captbnut and Chewy77 above, but maybe Captbnut meant that “selling using a port” is not possible. That is correct, but ports, flipped or unflipped, are still links to the distant market, just like Yorkshire/Midlands/Scotland.

1 Like

I hope you’ll forgive the interjection from someone who’s not playing.

At this point, I feel like “selling to distant markets” could be better characterized as “throwing it in the ocean and hoping for the best”. =)

3 Likes

In game terms, you sell to distant markets to get more profit, until the risk of a failed deal grows beyond your risk tolerance. So Geebizzle’s first sale was zero risk, resulted in +3 income, my first sale was zero risk, resulted in +2 income, then my second sale was also zero risk, but drew the worst possible outcome, for +0 income, dropping demand by four steps to just one step away from a crashed market, meaning any further deliveries of cotton are very likely to be rejected (7/9, I think). At this point, yes, you would be loading cotton onto ships and sailing off not having any clue who, if anyone, might be interested in buying it.

What I don’t understand is how the ports, Yorkshire, The Midlands, and Scotland all share the same demand, or how when that demand crashes, you can still use the ports to sell goods… somewhere?

Honestly it seems the relationship should be reversed. The “distant market” is actually the domestic market, and once that demand crashes, you can still still export, but only by a long-term partnership with a port.

EDIT 2: @Fodder256, looks like I somehow missed “at this point” in your post, so I wrote an explanation instead of a reply. The reply should have been something like “Yes”, or “totally”, or something wittier, sorry.

Yep, that was what I meant.

Now my understanding of the rules are tangential at best, but the market does seem stronger in mechanic than theme.

It would be pretty easy to frame it as you suggest though, with distant markets being other parts of britain and the ports being a contact in scandewega or whatever.

Maybe when you sell it to a port it’s less selling and more throwing it in the ocean to reclaim land (and then sell the new land for sweet dosh). I feel like I’d need several games to get to grips with what it’s trying to portray here.