PBF: The Dreaming Ward

@Suz asked for a die roll:
Rolling against Stella’s 15 in Observation 3d6: 1 + 1 + 3 = 5

and 14 in Perception 3d6: 3 + 3 + 5 = 11

@RogerBW McQueen recognises the bushy-browed man - he’s a librarian at the south district library, though he looked smarter when you were last doing readings there. You’re not quite sure of the fellow’s name, Lambert perhaps? but you’ve exchanged a few words. He looks slightly embarrassed when your eyes meet.

The long-haired lady has laid the makeup on a bit thick under her eyes. You’ve done enough public events, and known enough ladies, to recognise a fairly skillful job of covering exhaustion. Looks like you’re providing a welcome distraction. There’s a plain ring on her left hand, and she fiddles with it like someone not entirely used to it.

Your keen eye for fashion takes in the room at a glance. Lambert dresses like a man who can dress smartly but has given up. The balding man has a smart, pricey suit that’s too businesslike for the occasion - the sort of thing a man wears who rarely needs to think about what he’d wear if he weren’t at work. The long-haired lady you’d guess is a shop assistant of some kind; smart but inexpensive hairstyle, and the sort of clothes you can afford on that salary. The clean-shaven man dresses so exactly like an off-duty policeman that you’d be reluctant to write him. Finally, the blonde girl has the look of a fairly well-off student, of the more conservative sort.

1 Like

@Suz Stella recognises Lambert (professional man, average height, brown hair, mid-30s, unkempt); he attended the Opera House fundraiser, and you spoke briefly there. How the mighty have fallen! He was quite debonair on that occasion, and the signs of stress and decline are obvious. You recall him as a friendly, approachable man. Various minor details spring to mind. As you came in, he was deep in conversation with the blonde girl (short, round face, curly blonde hair, blue eyes, 18-20?; well-off, modern style) - something about her book, it looked like.
You’ll get a bonus to interact with Lambert thanks to passing by a whopping 10.

The other lady (mid-20s, slender, average height, long brown hair tied back, calf-length skirt) has done a decent job at masking the bags under her eyes, but you know what to look for. McQueen’s stories have entranced her and she listens intently. She’s sitting at a bit of a distance from the others and doesn’t seem to have been joining in much.
Throwing in your Body Language which you’d also pass
You get the impression she feels rather awkward around the others.

1 Like

I would like to revive this game - I know people were struggling with workload and health etc. Are any of you still interested & able to play?

3 Likes

Still here, still interested.

1 Like

Thanks Shimmin, I am very happy to jump back in when everyone’s ready! I feel the need to discover our characters’ weird (and/or wonderful?) fate :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

If there’s any spaces or vacant seats I can jump in, I like a warm bum.

3 Likes

There is at least one vacancy - Aurore’s player is dropping out, so you could take her over if you’d like. Let me know and I’ll link you the character sheet. Waiting to hear from the others.

No news yet from @EliScrubbs or @Asydic so I think they are also out. Anyone interested in hopping in, let me know.

OK, @EliScrubbs plans to rejoin us. Aurore and Antonella’s characters are available for anyone who would like to take them over. I plan to start the game again on Monday.

2 Likes

I am potentially interested. Reading the thread now

I am caught up and would be down to take over either character but I think I like the antiquarian best

2 Likes

You’re welcome to Antonella. I’ll send over the character sheet when I’m back home - visiting family this weekend.

1 Like

I’m along way from home but will be back tomorrow and happy to take anyone free.

Resuming game in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1… BOOM! What would you like to do? You find yourselves in the common area observing the people around you. In a few minutes, the doctor will come to make some announcements and get things in motion.

Just to check, who is here after that minor reality quake?

Here: Vincent McQueen, chain-smoking well-dressed man-about-town; those of you who move in literary circles may know that he’s a popular writer of short fiction. He clearly has an eye for good-looking ladies, though he also has manners.

2 Likes

Antonella’s eyes drift around the room as she draws a few puffs of her pipe into her lungs, internally grateful she had decided to wear her work clothes in present company. She had almost packed solely her preferred night clothes, working under the assumption her time would be spent one on one with the doctor and her only obligation to the pursuit of good sleep which had for so long eluded her.

At the last moment she had repacked all of her bags and decided to wear her favorite business suit that was tailored to accentuate the curve of her hips in a small rebellion to an outfit that otherwise quashed her womanhood. It looked good though, and she felt good wearing it. It may not be the height of fashion to wear slacks, but the times were changing and she’d be damned if anyone would catch her in a skirt.

If I had been warned ahead of time there would be this much socializing I wouldn’t have come, she thinks to herself, but in reality, she’s desperate, and no amount of forced smiles and small talk were too high a price to pay. She would find an answer for her nightmares here, she had to.

2 Likes

Here: Mrs Stella Clairmont, nosy journalist with an ear for a good-looking story. Sporting an unassuming long wool skirt and jacket and sensible low-heeled shoes. Her demeanour conveys cheerful and frazzled in equal measure.

Speaking of nosy, Stella would like to try and get a quick glance at the title of the book Lambert and the young woman have been discussing.

It has that generic sort of binding that the volumes of a set often do. After a couple of seconds, she makes out the title: Villette, a Brontë novel. Apparently the girl has a taste for literature.

you can decide if you’ve read it - or roll Literature if you prefer

1 Like

[Oh, ‘Villette’ would be right up Stella’s street]. Stella clocks the title, feeling the same way you do when you have spotted an old friend you haven’t seen in years, and files the information away for later.

1 Like