PBF: The Dreaming Ward

Stella has been leaning forward attentively for the duration of the discussion. There’s a lot going on here. She nods when Dr Thorne admits to keeping an open mind. Something she relates to, for better or worse.

And Stella did clock McQueen’s earlier ‘we need to talk’ look.

Nothing else from me at this point. Glad you are back safe and sound Shimmin!

@Abubu @EliScrubbs @Lordof1

Nothing from me, Shim.

With the introductions out of the way, the doctors go over the plan for the next few days. It’s the same information you’ve already heard, but in a more conversational style. Some of the others have a few clarifying questions; you sense a mixture of nervousness and excitement from most. Newton is back to himself, showing little emotion other than a hint of embarrassment at his earlier outburst. Celia has pulled back again and doesn’t engage.

Reminder:

• The study will last for seven nights. You may be invited to participate in further studies in future, but are not obliged to do so.
  • Day 1: registration and introductions; basic medical checks; a tour of the ward; open discussion. Night: Patients will be regularly observed as they sleep.
  • Day 2: patients gather for a group session to describe their experiences of the previous night. The rest of the day is theirs. Night: patients are hypnotised with the aid of mild soporific drugs. Therapeutic techniques of suggestion and association will be used to investigate underlying trauma.
  • Day 3: a possible side effect of the drugs is tiredness; thus, the following morning patients get to sleep in for longer than usual. Later, patients are interviewed to record their response to the therapy session. Further medical readings. Night: patients will be monitored during sleep.
  • Day 4: A second group discussion, and a session led by Dr. Lewinsky to explore latent dreaming and the collective unconscious as techniques for self-guided therapy. Night: second hypnosis session.
  • Day 5: Second interview session. Further medical readings. Night: patients will be monitored during sleep.
  • Day 6: A third group discussion in the morning. Individual discussions with Dr. Thorne and Dr. Lewinsky in the afternoon. Night: third hypnosis session.
  • Day 7: Third interview session. Further medical readings. Night: patients will be monitored during sleep.
  • Day 8: End of the study. Final medical readings. Debriefing and departure.

The conversation moves round to a general discussion of sleep, dreams, and remedies. Herbs like lavender are meant to provoke calmer sleep and sweeter dreams; Emma Gill, Rowe, Lambert and Green have all tried it, with some success. There’s talk of establishing set routines in the hour or two before bed, to help the mind prepare for sleep. More superstitious methods exist in folklore: placing millet around the door and window to distract any vampires, and using foul-smelling incense to repel spirits.

Lambert has read about the Chinese fong shoo tradition, which insists that exact positioning of rooms, doors, windows and furniture influence the flow of “good and bad energy” through the building, “Poppycock!” mutters Rowe. “Energy, my left foot.”

Newton reels off a list of physical exercises, over-the-counter remedies, and hypnosis he’s tried, without success. Emma says that a nightcap helps her get to sleep, but doesn’t help with the dreams.

Overall, some level of ice-breaking and bonding seems to have begun.

You are welcome to chip in if you wish - some of you know of other medical, practical, and folklore/occult “remedies”, which you may or may not have tried. Otherwise, the discussion will break up shortly and people will sit, chat, and do gentle things before retiring to bed.

McQueen: “I’ve stayed awake for three days on cocaine but I don’t remember much of it…”

(Quietly to Stella) “Just where in the Green Mountains was this? That’s where the cabin was where I had my… incident.”

Rowe: “It’s fabulous stuff, isn’t it. Doesn’t agree with me, sadly. I have a colleague who swears by it, takes a pinch after lunch to stay sharp for the afternoon.”

1 Like

Stella looks thoughtful for a moment.

'Well… it was north-east from Bennington towards Glastenbury Mountain. The cabin was off a side trail though.

'Not entirely sure I could find it again. The directions I managed to cobble together from… various sources… were a bit sparse to say the least and I’m still not sure I got the right place.

‘Why? Where had you been staying? It sounds like you had a terrible time of it.’

1 Like

[@Shimmin how close by is it? And if so, does it have anything to do with the site of Bill Green’s incident?]

[I will tell you more exactly when I have the doc in front of me, but broadly yes.]

From what you and Stella put together, the shootout took place about a mile and a half from the cabin you rented - nothing ghoulish on your part. There were a handful of cabins scattered along that trail, none of them heavily used - though thankfully one was rented out to a hunting party at the time of your accident. It didn’t seem to have been used for a good while.

As you describe the cabin, though, Stella has a horrible sense of familiarity. It is, undoubtedly, the cabin where Jane Strong was held captive.

…and now you know why they were so glad of a customer, and offered you such a good price…

1 Like

“Maybe we should bring in Bill on this as well?”

“Yes… yes, you’re right. We should all compare notes before mentioning anything to Dr Thorne, I think. Perhaps catch Bill later before he leaves for his room?”

Stella will listen to everyone else’s remedies until the group session breaks up (her own cocaine use has been limited to Coca-Cola).

1 Like

You can absolutely catch Bill as the group disperses.

Eventually, people begin to file away to their rooms. Nurses will bring round some warm milk, cocoa etc. to your rooms. Bill hasn’t even left his armchair; you get the sense he’s picked up your plan, and indeed, he cocks a conspiratorial eyebrow at you both.

“That was more taxing than I expected. Not the easiest thing to talk about, is it?”

“And, well, maybe it’s a coincidence, but it looks as though the three of us may have had our… incidents… in about the same place.”

Update: your experience took place specifically at this cabin, 1621, near the village of Somerset - it wasn’t called cabin 1621 in the 1920s, though. Coords: 42.968435, -72.975197

Stella would know the shootout occurred at a clearing some distance away; coords: 42.95600 -72.95147

2 Likes

“But that’s just it, there was no incident while I was there. I found nothing, nada, zip. In my dreams though… I see people walking towards me from the cabin but they’re… very much not alive.” Stella shivers involuntarily. “Dr Thorne says they’re a metaphor.”

Thanks for those map references, @Shimmin. I had found a lovely map from the 1950’s and then just picked a likely spot. Let’s just say Stella got a bit disorientated! I think I need to add ‘terrible sense of direction’ to her list of character traits.

1 Like

“But the dreams started after you were there, and they tie to that place, right? At the very least it’s a strange coincidence, and I don’t like strange coincidences. I mean, nothing to do with what we do here and now, but maybe once we’re out again it might be worth trying to find out if there’s anything else strange about the place’s history.”

1 Like

[@RogerBW by any chance has any of McQueen’s novels featured conspiracy theories?]

"Who knows, maybe we can do some research while we’re here? They must keep records of other patients and what they dream about? The Green Mountains could have more than the three of us in its grip.

“Bill, have you talked about your dreams with any of your old colleagues who came out of that place alive?”

[Yes, but not as a major element - his usual pattern is someone meeting a small weird dislocation that somehow grows into a horrifying thing.]

“If they do, sure, it’s worth a try…”

1 Like

that is nice! I must steal it

Green is looking very intently at Stella. “Not alive? Ghosts, you mean?” His voice is low, as though to keep anyone from overhearing.

1 Like