“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Maybe they just mistyped the postal code? I mean as far as I know postal code is THE address identifier in UK (unless things changed since I wrote a program to auto-complete UK—and other—addresses 20 years ago for work). I have a low opinion of delivery services‘ fault handling, that package is probably going to be „lost“ and if they are lucky whoever sent it will send another copy because it is ensured…

edit: as I am sitting here wondering if the package that was „7 stops“ from my house a couple of hours ago when tracking just stopped… it was initially announced for tomorrow, I have no idea why DHL keeps doing that. And I keep wondering how many accidents involving delivery cars happen or how many drivers have heart attacks during the day… it is always DHL who says „package arrival on Saturday, oh no Friday, oh no Saturday“. I know people who will only order on week-ends at this point to prevent this.

4 Likes

I’ve arranged for redelivery tomorrow, we’ll see what happens.

4 Likes

Ooh, it’s been delivered and not to me!

Think the first postie might need an eye check.

3 Likes

I should really stop ordering stuff online. DHL is driving me nuts. 2 hours ago they emailed me “package delivery within 15 minutes”

But then the driver took his lunchbreak as the tracking said “2 stops until delivery” and then tracking vanished again completely. I am sitting here… thinking I’d rather be here for the delivery…

Really one would think their whole job is to organize delivery in an organized manner and that it would be cost-saving for them to optimize this and know what is realistic–if I’ve ever met a use-case for training a neural network to understand your data… and make better predictions: this is it.

So yesterday may have been a chaotic day, there was a storm going on and there was a hostage situation in the city that may have caused traffic ripples throughout the city as the police closed down some parts of the city. It was not around my area but who knows… at least nobody was hurt (physically)–unlike Hamburg -.-

5 Likes

For ninety-something percent of UK addresses, (flat ID) + house number + postcode is enough for a unique identification. But the Post Office don’t like it because there are awkward exceptions, and as you say no redundancy.

Mind you when I lived on Western Road (poor part of London) I got a letter (correctly) addressed to the same number Western Road (richer part of London) asking Mr Whatever which account he wanted his dividends sent to.

5 Likes

My folks used to live on a Willson Road which was next to a Willson Avenue. There was also a Wilson Road on the other side of town.

They got to know the people at the same number on Willson Avenue quite well.

4 Likes

I remember checking into a b&b in the Cotswolds and getting a look from the clerk when I told her my house number (11045). “We don’t have streets that long” she said after a brief pause.

3 Likes

I assume that’s like our 5-2-22, only without the hyphens?

(Setting aside the fact that numbering here has little to do with blocks and streets, and seems to be based on administration centres, order of entry into ancient registries, and the order houses were built, or something almost as arbitrary.)

2 Likes

“Please deposit the dividends into this new account I have opened under this alias. Want to save it for a rainy day. Thank you!”

3 Likes

I didn’t know you could twist a screw head completely off from just the torque of a regular screwdriver. Oops.

6 Likes

On a kind of related note: rooftop shade mk2 is go!

Much time, money, blood, and sweat expended in its realization.

Edit: Family added for scale.

17 Likes

The county I lived in at the time used five digit addresses for roads in unincorporated parts of the county. Towns and cities used shorter ones. The county had a system, numbers started at 10000, in the NE corner, and went up a 1000 a mile. roads were alphabetical, people going east west, trees north south. so if you knew the address, you knew exactly how far n-s or e-w it was (from the number ) and roughly how much the other way.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that being a delivery guy in Japan, prior to good on-line mapping, was a very local career - you’d know your chunk of the city and where all the weird twiddly exceptions were, and then be a last-mile courier for a bunch of different companies. Valid?

2 Likes

Sounds like it could be true, yeah.

3 Likes

When I lived in Chippenham I was in Greenway Gardens, the street behind us was Greenway Avenue, and both streets opened into the long Greenway Lane. We got a fair few of our parcels and post mixed up with Avenue, but never with Lane… Although the ones in Avenue got something misplaced in Lane once, apparently…

3 Likes

Behold, this area of Leeds where I once rented a room:

8 Likes

Was there at least a vicarage in the vicinity?

4 Likes

Appropriately you can see it from Vicarage View.

2 Likes

Oh gods I really hope not. That would be hilarious.

I live at the corner of Carwood Cres and Carwood Ave. No real issues most of the time aside from food delivery (DoorDash and the like), where they will often have a quick brain melt and give up trying to find the house before I can put my shoes on.

3 Likes

I think I’ve told this story before.

Once had a delivery driver ignore the bit of my address after the flat number (which is handily the name of the block of flats) and just deliver my parcel to the same number on the adjacent street.

All I had to go on was a photo of their front door.

5 Likes