“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

here’s another neat Geeklist: Publishers That Only Sell via Their Own Websites and Their Shipping Policies | BoardGameGeek

If you’ve been wondering why that one game is not available anywhere at retail…

5 Likes

Excellent resource!

3 Likes

Two videos for Twos-day Tuesday. Featuring 22 mathematicians/Youtubers.

If anyone can fill in the gaps here, that’ll be awesome

Dominion Style Deckbuilders | BoardGameGeek

1 Like

Maybe Cubitos? I know it‘s dice but … it has that fixed market thing that makes Dominion for me. Other than that I can‘t think of anything you didn‘t already put on the list. Edit: Well actually if it‘s Deck-Bag and Pool-building… Quacks has a non-random market.

2 Likes

Expanded the range so dice and bag building is fine

1 Like

Where would Paperback fit in this? It has fixed categories in the market, but the cards within them are randomised.

1 Like

Sounds like Automobiles, which I’ve put in but will remove if it’s not wanted.

1 Like

I’ll have a read of the rulebook. Thanks! :+1:

I finished that 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle I ordered last week yesterday. It took me a few hours over the last week to do it. As previously mentioned, I had not done any jigsaw puzzles since I was maybe 13 or so. I never did any then–I just remember one I probably didn’t complete alone of Castle Neuenschwanstein that hung on the wall of my room.

I am surprised–though I shouldn’t be–how much I enjoyed this activity. It felt just game adjacent enough (it helped that it was a boardgame cover). The best parts were when I would see a piece pick it up and put it right where it belonged. Often I would see these in the corner of my eye, not thinking much about it at all… just like I prefer to do my moves in boardgames. At times, my partner watched with fascination when I did this several times in a row–obviously I had been staring at the thing long enough that my subconscious had already put it together.

Since I have no experience in this, take this with a grain of salt: but I think this was a very good puzzle. All the pieces were very unique, the “wavy” lines that cross the puzzle made it quite interesting. The motif is just right with lots of variation in colors but also a few plain areas that gave me a bit more to think.

This did the same thing for my brain that playing a game like Slipways does. Flow. That’s the word I am looking for. I got flow states from doing the puzzle. Now what do I do with it? (Eventually it is supposed to be decoration for our game room when we get that). I am tempted to take it apart and do it again. Then order the Terra Mystica one–which is on backorder right now.

9 Likes

Carcass One does not need a co-op mode - Nebel über Carcassonne - News - Hans im Glück

2 Likes

Maybe they just wanted to have a solo-mode and couldn’t figure out how to do that.

1 Like

Ordered my poker chips from Germany and got asked to pay another 20% on top to cover VAT. I expected it but I feel like I’ve been double taxed here.

Realities of being a third country to the EU I guess.

4 Likes

What’s the collective noun for “Amazon delivery truck”. Leaving the hardware store yesterday, there were 25 of them in a line waiting for a red light.

2 Likes

Amazon convoy?

2 Likes

A river, clearly!

8 Likes

I see stuff like this often. My place of business is just down the road from one of their warehouses, so I often get to see a long line of trucks and vans coming or going at any given time.

1 Like

Ooooooh, Ava just announced her first ever review of an old classic she loves… What would it be…?

4 Likes

For reasons, I checked how many of my games had a woman as designer or at least co-designer.
Of 217 games currently on my physical shelves. There are just 8 games. EIGHT. Most surprised by Battle for Rokugan. Which I still haven’t played. (Adding in my preorders Verdant joins the club)

I don’t own a single game by Inka & Marcus Brand. I don’t play Exit games. And Village didn’t grab us back at Spiel 2011. And I missed Rajas of the Ganges somehow and the R&W version got sold on quickly.

Meh.

edit: Checking Elizabeth Hargrave’s List, I missed 2: Terraforming Mars Ares Expedition and Cryptid. Brings me up to 10. That’s less than 5% -.-

6 Likes

In theory game design should have a much lower barrier to entry than say directing films. You can do it without formal training, without expensive equipment, part-time while juggling other responsibilities. So I really can’t see any justification for the relative lack of female designers in the industry. (And the same arguments can be made for non-white people of course, though that’s a bit less obvious from the names – I didn’t know Eric Lang was a PoC until I saw an interview with him.)

[To expand on this a bit - if men generally have more free time and money you’d expect to see more men doing a thing that takes time and money to get into.]

4 Likes