One year into boardgames, what have I learned?

Is that Vasel’s law that good games will always come back in some form?
But absolutely. Once the prices for the OOP rarities go up someone at the publisher usually notices. Exceptions exist.

I remember that year I was hunting for both Robo Ralley and Die Macher… and found nothing. The next year both were reprinted. I bought both. I still have Robo Ralley and gave away Die Macher (I kinda wish I had got the Spielworxx prettified version a couple years back just because it is a unique game).

Oh and Talisman… the horror… so expensive. I bought a tattered copy that went out with the 2019 purge.

3 Likes

It’s usually when IP is tied to a title. i.e. Discworld: Ankh-Morpork v. Nanty Narking.

The Vasel Law “take away” is this: publishers like money, everything else follows naturally

2 Likes

I had an interesting experience early on; I started buying games with my own money around 2016, and, as many of you have experienced, I immediately wanted all the things. I would see reviews, and instantly want whatever it was. One such game was Space Alert.

So I got myself hyped, and went on eBay, where I saw a great deal! I could get 8 games for only $23 each, instead of their individual costs of $40-60 each. And so, instead of getting Space Alert, I got a bundle of

-Space Alert
-Galaxy Trucker
-Power Grid
-Dominion 2e
-Dominion: Adventures
-Puerto Rico
-Mogul
-Carcassonne: The Discovery

And only paid $180! (I didn’t tell anyone that, they would have flipped out. Instead it was always, “oh this game was about twenty bucks.”)

It was kind of a terrible idea, really, since I didn’t know games that well, and could have just as well ended up with 40 volumes of Exploding Kittens or something. But I don’t regret it in the slightest. Because ultimately, the variety was a lot more effective at hitting the target than trying to figure out the perfect thing, and failing.

In the end, the game I was most skeptical about (Dominion) became my #1 game, and Space Alert? It got listed for trade halfway through the first training mission. I had thought it would be great either as a family game or a solo game, after my research, but it turned out that understanding the game wasn’t as important as understanding the people involved. But as with any skill, it took dozens of tries before I had enough practice to do it effectively.

So my main points would be this:

1. Don’t put to much emphasis into one game. You should always be willing to say “we aren’t having fun, let’s do something else.” Don’t get caught in a sunk cost fallacy.
  2. Don’t spend to much money on a game you don’t know. Things like acrylic tiles, extra expansions, solo modes, etc can be very enticing, but until you’ve played the game and want to play it with those things, you shouldn’t pay any more than you absolutely have to (could even use TTS, if that’s your thing)
  3. Stay away from Kickstarter, if life and love mean anything to you! Seriously, 97% of my boardgame regrets come from there. Specifically because it forces you to contradict the first two points by putting you on a time limit, and giving bad information. If the only data you have on a product comes from someone trying to sell it to you, you shouldn’t buy it. Same with TV commercials, door-to-door sales, etc. This has been established for decades, but somehow been forgotten in this specific corner of the universe.

(And if anyone’s wondering, Puerto Rico and Mogul also got the boot almost immediately, but I’m similarly glad to have experienced those. And I secretly think Carcassonne Discovery is better than the original! Especially since it has no expansions. But don’t kill me, I promise I won’t propagate this heresy! )

5 Likes

It’s worth figuring out if you can even be bothered to explain a set of rules to someone who has no investment in the game.

One thing that does come up a lot on here is that at least with this hobby your mistakes always have a resale/ trade value.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve struggled to join in a bit because I have almost no regrets. I’m glad I’ve tried things. I’ve not stayed still, I’ll keep trying things and I’ll keep moving stuff on.

Maybe that’s what I’ve learnt, just sell, trade or give away anything that’s not sitting right.

6 Likes