Oath Review - 2021's Most Exciting Board Game

If you like a good whiteboard, definitely check out Quinns’ official Blaseball round ups (and Brian David Gilbert’s Unravelled, which I adore unconditionally).

We should have a thread of good whiteboards.

2 Likes

Was the whiteboard a hint at the classic Pacific Rim meme? I think it was.

The board had the stuff they wrote from the city of remnants review I think. There was a cool gag where they kept having to layer on exceptions and making the whiteboard messier and messier.

City of Remnants:

3 Likes

I whole heartedly agree with this. If a game is heavy it’s reasonable to assume there’s some effort needed to learn that shouldn’t form most of the review. What happens when you get through the initial learnings and what is on the other side to justify that effort are much better questions to be amswered.

11 Likes

His reviews have been keeping the original SUSD spark alive for me – things that I want to watch even if I don’t think I’m interested in the game.

The beard gag was mad. “What have you done?!” I said when he started out in the face paint. To plan and execute that, and to have intentionally scripted it towards a kind of anticlimax… no one else on the team is currently/still doing anything quite that crazy, silly, or (probably) logistically challenging (not much chance for pick-ups on this shoot!). I laughed at how he’d filmed his final “I’m so tired” so early in the process. It must be hard to keep up that kind of creative enthusiasm long-term (the alternative is going to be way less tiring for starters), but I hope he doesn’t lose it anytime soon.

9 Likes