Oath PBF companion thread, for rules questions and the like

Right, but I’m not doing the move now. If it’s a waste to search the deck I won’t bother - although from my perspective this feels like throwing my game to prevent someone else from winning. I’m feeling like I’ve lost either way as I’m too far behind but this again is probably not quite understanding the rules? Realistically I’m not sure of a path to victory for me here as the people’s favour seems unlikely to happen now so… just explaining my thinking… why should I be worrying about who is the overall victor?

Although I’m happy to campaign if it will help our understanding of how it works!

1 Like

You are perfectly free to allow Yellow to win to spite the Chancellor for forcing you to campaign. The chronicle will go on!

You are probably aiming to find the Vision that allows you to win with the People’s Favor, but to do that you need to buy time.

2 Likes

Well that was the plan, hence the deck searching. Let me have a think.

I had to have about 5 attempts at moves with Benkyo before I determined a move that was allowed. Take your time and I’d vouch for Benkyo’s patience.

2 Likes

I’ve edited my move, just waiting to find out where my errors are :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good, aside from the fact that the alchemist also burns a secret.

What do you mean by “both banners”?

Targeting the site is the point, right? Yes, it’s compulsory. That’s 1 defence die. Targeting the usurper must add 2 more, optionally targeting the pawn adds 2 more, and merely allows you to move the pawn since he has no favor to burn. The mountain subtracts 1 attack die. GeeBizzle has the option to use horse archers, which will subtract another 3 attack dice.

Neither banner can be targeted, so I have ignored that line for now.

Does that all line up with your intent?

5 defence dice and 4 warbands vs. 8 (or 5) attack dice and 9 Warbands. Looks optimistic to me. I’d say about 1 in 4 chance of success, assuming GeeBizzle uses the horse archers and you are willing to sacrifice all your Warbands.

You can choose to use less than all of your Warbands.

Okay, I won’t target the pawn. Otherwise yes.

Righto, I think that changes the odds to an almost certain win.

Muster is not a minor action, it costs 1 supply. Still want to go ahead with this action?

1 Like

Yeah sorry knew it was one supply but got the term wrong. Please proceed.

1 Like

Apologies for the delay. I think I have enough brain space to plan my turn now!

I’m a bit confused by how supply is calculated. Do I only have 1 supply this turn?

Supply moves left to right, refreshes back towards left.

1 Like

https://discussion.tekeli.li/t/oath-pbf-insert-chronicle-name-here/2670/68?u=benkyo

Don’t forget your 1 favor from Wake.

Also, don’t know if this needs pointing out, but you can campaign against multiple bandit ruled sites.

Aha, so I could campaign against the bandits at the buried giant and the salt flats simultaneously?

And the Wastes and Great Slum, if you wanted to.

So, to campaign you need to tell me

1. Which targets
  2. How many warbands you’ll use
  3. Which battle plans you’ll use

And preferably also what you think it all adds up to in defence and attack, so I know we’re on the same page. Against bandits you are looking at 1 defence die and 1 defending “warband” per site targeted. I think Longbows are the only relevant battle plans. The only reason to use less than all your warbands is to reduce the number skulls you might roll on attack, which I would only do as long as I could still guarantee victory.

1 Like

https://discussion.tekeli.li/t/oath-pbf-insert-chronicle-name-here/2670/69?u=benkyo

OK, so this would mean you are pitting 2 defence dice and 2 bandits (potentially 0-4 on dice, +2 for bandits, for 2 to 6 defence) against 3 attack dice with 2 warbands (potentially 1-3 on dice without sacrifice, up to 6 attack with losses). So your odds of winning are not 100%, and even if you do win, you probably won’t have any force left to actually take the sites.

I think there must be some misunderstanding here.

You are not compelled to put any more of your winning force on the sites than you want to. But winning without a surviving force is pointless. To guarantee a win, you need to guarantee 7 attack and at least 2 survivors in your force, which means… I don’t know, a lot more warbands.

Some attack calculations

14 attack dice guarantees 7 attack with no sacrifices, but 1 in 6 will die to skull rolls, so say 2 losses. 7 warbands would be 8 dice, minimum roll of 4, 3 sacrificed to win, 4 left to occupy. Maybe more efficient against a poor defence roll? I’m not sure. But 2 warbands sounds wrong.

I’ve edited my turn. Hopefully that makes more sense

OK, that’s also fine. Just so we are clear - you have a ton of warbands and could easily guarantee a successful campaign against the bandits. I was questioning the use of only 2 warbands to do so, not the merits of campaigning at all.

To make a citizenship offer, you need to be a bit more specific. What are you offering? At a minimum, I think you need to offer a relic.

Also, don’t forget that Blue is currently set to win, and your current turn is passing the buck to Red to prevent that from happening.