Lovecraftian GURPS: The Fractured Mind

RogerBW runs his own murder mystery scenario, which had its first public outing at the 2018 YSDC Games Day.

Session 01 - Do They Have Any Toffee?: Called out on a Saturday morning to a manor house in the Fen country, the great detective faces a distinctly strange challenge.

Session 02 - Rummaging in Drawers: The investigation continues, with a curious fixation on milk-churns.

Session 03 - We’ve Got A Suspect, But It’s Definitely Not Him: Last time they lost a child. This time they find one. (Background effects provided by the Consumption Ward.)

Session 04 - Take the Wet One: As the flood waters rise, our heroes track down a murderer, or perhaps more than one.

4 Likes

“Violet Hu(gh)es.” Cute. Was that from Nick or Roger?

1 Like

The PCs were actually created by someone else who posts here, whom I will not out unless they wish to speak up. (I changed one of the names to fit better with my conception of the character, but I didn’t spot anything odd about that one.)

1 Like

Is that Roger’s own scenario, or Rogers own Murder? The latter would be a lot creepier!

1 Like

I think it unlikely that I will die in a country house in 1926.

Well, there’s the mystery…

I did the character designs, and that joke was accidental.

1 Like

Session 02 - Rummaging in Drawers: The investigation continues, with a curious fixation on milk-churns.

2 Likes

When I found out, I was livid.

1 Like

Almost a week for that gag, Nick.

(Feel free to add your own “weak gag” comment)

I’ve still got a few days to respond to this, haven’t I?

Session 03 - We’ve Got A Suspect, But It’s Definitely Not Him: Last time they lost a child. This time they find one. (Background effects provided by the Consumption Ward.)

2 Likes

Session 04 - Take the Wet One: As the flood waters rise, our heroes track down a murderer, or perhaps more than one.

That’s it for this adventure, and this year.

2 Likes

Hmm… That whole brain-in-a-milk-churn business must be a red herring. After all, the scenario’s called “The Fractured Mind”, not “The Lactosed Mind”.

2 Likes

*So, uh, Roger… How come your guest bedroom is full of books on, ah…"

“My collection of textbooks about serial killers, you mean? Oh, I just keep them there to make my guests feel welcome.”

*…B-beg pardon?!"

“Well, y’see, first I sorted through my ENTIRE book collection, and put all the LEAST upsetting and disturbing volumes in the spare bedroom.”

“…”

“It works, it really does! Whenever I have visitors over who say they need a place to stay for a couple of weeks, they always leave after a single night - that’s how relaxing it is! They get a month’s rest in just a few hours, I’m sure!”

1 Like

I was very good. I didn’t file the religious texts in with abnormal psychology.

2 Likes

I use Library of Congress for the nonfiction. It minimized the number of decisions required, and I’ve used LoC so much that I can readily find almost any topic on my shelves.

1 Like

The standard in the UK is Dewey Decimal, but I’ve not had enough to do with it to make it come naturally. (Also, last time I looked there was no free version of the standard.)

1 Like

I have a friend with a very large collection of books filed strictly by author. His bibles are under Rabbenu, Moshe.

1 Like

1 Like