Local Christmas foods/traditions

Channel 4 did a deepfake a while ago. We can use that.

2 Likes

That is New Year’s Eve though!
Christmas movies include „Sissi“ with Romy Schneider.

4 Likes

You have clearly been the victim of a cake crime…

If you ever find some good British fruit cake I recommend pairing it with Stilton or mature cheddar

6 Likes

Americans have the complication of Thanksgiving shortly before Christmas. Thanksgiving is the Turkey meal. Some people do turkey again for Christmas but there’s also pushback to that so many do ham or roast for Christmas. Something like goose is unheard of in America.

My sense is Christmas is very much associated with baking in the US, but what you are baking is a regional or even family specific thing. Cookies are big, but sugar cookies or gingerbread cookies or snickerdoodles or whatever is all good. My family preps cinnamon rolls every year on Christmas Eve to be ready to put in the oven while we open presents Christmas morning to eat fresh after. Fits the general baking theme, but cinnamon rolls isn’t necessarily what every family is going to be doing.

Crackers show up very rarely in American stores as a novelty. A few people will have heard of them, but mostly, no.

Christmas countdowns calendars (called advent but not actually days of advent) are huge and available in thousands of varieties.

5 Likes

Which countries do Christmas Pudding, these years?

2 Likes

My mother bakes three Christmas cakes. One for all of us to eat over Xmas, one for me to take home and one for my brother to take home.

I’ve tried to convince her otherwise for the last few years. It’s a lot of work plus there’s no shortage of other puddings to eat.

3 Likes

My (pretty American*) family pulls crackers and eats mince pie and fruit cakes. (I strongly recommend this if you can get it.)

None of that is helpful for figuring out local Christmas traditions. But we’ve been doing those things for at least two generations now.

*But definitely weird—I mean, one of us collects board games no one else has heard of and then hangs out on board game forums.

8 Likes

And you still talk to that weirdo?

6 Likes