Last game you bought?

Slight tangent but this arrived today for the water tokens for Radlands. Fits a great and stops the tokens getting jammed.

Thanks @RogerBW

9 Likes

Worryingly good colour match, bearing in mind that Iā€™d never seen the box and youā€™d only seen my photographs of the filament colours. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Stopped by my FLGS just to look around and found a used copy of High Society for $8, and since I have heard nothing but good things about it, I went ahead and picked it up. Then I also saw the new editions of the Orleans expansions, and since I had accrued enough points at the store for $30 off, I grabbed the Trade and Intrigue expansion as well. All told, a $3 trip.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a great game, and thats a bargain

2 Likes

I bought High Society to play with an ex juuuust before we broke up, and Iā€™ve not managed to get 3 people together to play it since (covid etc), so itā€™s the no1 on my shelf that looks gorgeous but Iā€™ve never got to the table.

2 Likes

I played High Society for the first time in ages tonight! I visited my parents for dinner and, after Iā€™d finished doing obligatory tech support for them (including figuring out how to disable their televisionā€™s accessibility feature for the visually-impaired that was speaking aloud every action they performed with the remote control; a feature they had undoubtedly turned on accidentally via some kind of shortcut button combo, and which had apparently been driving them crazy for the past two days : ) we had time for a shortish game, and I happily taught them H.S.

At the end of the second game Mum had 25,000 francs, Dad had 25,000 francs, and I hadā€¦ 27,000 francs; so they were both cast out for being the poorest, and I won by default : ) For a moment we thought that the 2-point luxury card that Mum had purchased for a minimal 1,000 francs in the final round had cost her the game; but then we realised that if Iā€™d gotten that card for free it would have just given me the win, so I edged it either way.

I was not expecting a win, as Iā€™d made the entertaining mistake of taking the ā€œlose a cardā€ card when I had no luxuries, and then enthusiastically bidding 20,000 francs on the 9 card, completely forgetting that I would have to discard whatever I acquired next. They both happily allowed me to waste my money on that : )

2 Likes

Iā€™ve played a game where we all ended up with 25,000 left, meaning we all lost :laughing:

2 Likes

Zoocracy - this one is very hard to find (due to supply). I bought it brand new with its price when I would normally prefer getting it on a trade or 2nd hand. The cartoony art should make it more palatable with its dry parliamentary politics theme - a la Die Macher

Summoner Wars: Jungle Elves Second Summoner deck - Yes. I do have SW2 now, but itā€™s one of the last two decks Iā€™ve been looking for. I only need Benders - Second Summoner deck now

1 Like

Same, looks ace

So in 2018, after having played Race for the Galaxy quite a number of times on the app, I was miffed it wasnā€™t available anywhere. Then Pegasus published/republished a German edition of the base game. The lack of expansions was disappointing but I saw Pegasus had already announced a bundle of RftG Expansions 1-3 for Decmber of that year? I really like the game better with some of the expansions.

Yeah, so this week I found out it is finally available for preorder, it is actually being made now more than 3 years later. So obviously I preordered it and because itā€™s not enough to qualify for free shippingā€¦

I added the upcoming expansion for Dune:Imperium: Rise of Ix because that game needs to expand itā€™s deck of cards more than anything. I bet they had this all designed and split off some content for later thatā€™s how small the current deck is. Still waffling over the deluxe pack, I need to play the game at least a couple more times in the next few weeks to see if I am willing to shell out 50,- for that.

And since neither of these is actually adding anything to my collection count (expansions are free!) and my paypal balance from selling games was still going strongā€¦ I added Azul: Queenā€™s Garden to the mix with the caveat that I get to keep only 1 Azul game. But I like the garden theme and the hex fields and I really really want to play that one. Weā€™ll see how that goes and which one gets sold. Also the price at that shop was 8,- less than everywhere elseā€“so moving it on should carry very little loss if I decide to do it fast.

My wishlist on BGG is down to 4 games:

• one of which is out of print (Antiquity)
  • one of which I am going to preorder as soon as I can (John Company 2, DE Edition)
  • one of which Iā€™ll probably pick up next time at FLGS (So Kleever)
  • one of which Iā€™ll buy as soon as it is available (Cryptid: Urban Legends, the 2 player of my favorite deduction game)

There are also 3 ā€œexpansionsā€: the remaining Five Tribes stuff and the Terra Mystica Automa on there.

3 Likes

The deluxe pack is nice but doesnā€™t add much other than making combat look a bit less abstract.

I would like to have seen the solari get upgraded but it offers nothing in that regard. Also with the rise of ix you are then left waiting for an upgrade for the new component to be released.

3 Likes

The Dune Imperium expansion does feel like it should have been there at the start. I find it ridiculous to believe how useless the coins become at the end felt like a satisfying outcome of any play test.

3 Likes

Well my resolution to buy fewer games is off to a great start, as after buying High Society last week, tonight I found Night of the Ninja at an LGS while I was waiting for the pizza parlor next door to finish making our dinner. I remember being interested in this since the AwShux demo game from last April (I think it was that one), which I know I saw on Twitch, but apparently never made it over to YouTube as I canā€™t find it.

In any case, it is a social deduction game where there are two houses (and a ronin, for odd numbers of players) where you get a random house card at the beginning of the round, and then draft two roles. The roles give the players special abilities in the night phase, which is where the actual deduction occurs. This can be as simple as the Spy, which lets you look at another playerā€™s house card, or the Blind Assassin, which lets you kill one of the players, taking them out of the round, as opposed to the Shinobi, which looks at a playerā€™s house card then chooses if they want to kill them.

At the end of the round, all living players reveal their house cards, and the side with the lowest numbered card wins. In the event of a tie, compare the next number up until one house has a surviving number. Every player of the winning house gets an honor token, which is worth either 2, 3, or 4 points. A ronin gets an honor token if they survive. Players keep their totals secret.

First player to 10 points wins.

I like the idea of shifting teams, as you will get a new house card each round, and due to everyone having card abilities, you can actually have solid information to base your decisions on, not just gut instinct or thinking a player looks shifty, though those intuitions can still play a role in the game.

2 Likes

Getting a bunch of small stuff in the next couple of days.

Mystic paths - a sort of codenames type game
Into the blue - a dice based Reiner Knizia game
high score - a nother dice based Reiner Knizia game
Unter Strand - a beach game with some cool pieces (including small beach buckets)
Rolling Dice (emphasis on Ice) where you roll dice far hoping to get more points.

1 Like

My copy of The Great Zimbabwe has finally arrived! :partying_face:

9 Likes

Sentinels of the Multiverse Definitive Edition is here!

My word thatā€™s quite a lot of stuff. 12 heroes, 6 villains, 6 environments. And ā€“ I donā€™t know if other people got this, but when I read superhero comics (irregularly) I got a constant feeling of all this stuff that had happened that people were referring to, and if only Iā€™d read that issue it would all make more sense. Which I assume was a deliberate attempt to make young-me buy more comics, but I get the same feeling here (except of course that the comics never existed in the first place), and now it means nostalgia ā€“ which gives me a positive attitude to this superhero setting in a way I donā€™t normally experience.

Ordered from KS 2021-04-04; original delivery estimate 2021-11-30; arrived 2022-01-17. In a box, one sheet of bubble wrap, shrink wrap on box and foil cards sub-box, shrink-wrap on each of eleven blocks of cards.

I didnā€™t get into this first time round because a lot of people were talking about the fiddliness of persistent conditions (a thing over here can affect the cost of a thing over there, etc.). I think thatā€™s still true but I really like the revised rulebook (Iā€™m a big fan of defining and then using precise game vocabulary), and Iā€™m planning to put together a checklist at least for use when Iā€™m soloing.

7 Likes

Oh Iā€™m jealous! Also sad it didnā€™t arrive a few days earlier! Let me know how it plays!

2 Likes

6 weeks after they sent it, and 2.5 hours after I replied to ask if someone could tell me where it was : )

11 Likes

13 Likes

My three post-holiday purchases have now arrived: Monikers to try with my casual gaming friends and, for my soloing, Star Realms: Frontiers and the Spanish version of Railroad Ink Challenge: Lush Green edition, which Iā€™ve submitted to BGG to add to their collection.

5 Likes