Last game you bought?

Pine-Sol ved!

Kids sleeping bag has been one of the best investments we’ve made.

Also: What a very Pillbox post. I’m inferring from the context that you had a few minutes of free time and bought 31 games and expansions that you can’t play.

9 Likes

Ooh, good idea!

Unfortunately, my two oldest each have 2 special blankets they use every night. My partner knitted each of them a blanket that we gave them when they started sleeping in their own crib at night, and then a “themed” (oldest: Minnie Mouse; middle: Hello Kitty; reflecting what they were “into” at that particular point in their life) blanket that we gave them, ostensibly, when they started sleeping without diapers, but it more closely coincided with when they started potty training.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

For context, that post covers both February and most of March (and I don’t expect much more to arrive in March). Admittedly, those 2 months of purchases is more than some people will buy in a 2 years. There was definitely some retail (and secondhand?) therapy happening while I was coping with having a new born in the house again.

10 Likes

February 28th and March 1st. Hey, it’s two months!!

2 Likes

Fast and Furious Highway Heist, was on sale. I’ve seen a few of the movies, they’re ok I guess. Game sounds like dumb fun.

2 Likes

I use this line too

4 Likes

I’d been interested in this ever since, and I placed an order this evening.

I also fell victim to too-tempting a sale a little while ago, and I picked up one of the official Pandemic spin-offs that I’d not been meaning to get (Rising Tide – after I’d previously settled on Fall of Rome as the only non-original-or-Legacy Pandemic I was going to purchase). I also have Forbidden Island in my collection, so it’s almost definitely overkill…

2 Likes

Pandemic is a good system that I am still appreciating all these years later. I think it gets discounted sometimes because of the amount of spin-offs that exist. But looking through the coops I have, it is one of the better mechanisms for coops. I have my eye on Iberia when the German version comes in the next few months.

3 Likes

I’ve played Solar Storm on BGA - seemed OK, didn’t seem to offer anything particularly new to the Pandemic pattern, but if the things it does are ones that appeal…

(For me Flash Point displaced Pandemic quite early in my modern-boardgaming career.)

It’s substantially the form factor. I’m not expecting a better Pandemic game; but as a small box which doesn’t need much table space, with a different theme, that I can solo, in a game style I enjoy… there’s quite enough appeal there for me to want to see how I get on with it.

3 Likes

After struggling a bit with the huge blue areas (95% of the time it took to complete this puzzle I was brute forcing my way through blue), I ordered the last 3 of the series: Feast for Odin, Coopers Island and Reykholt—not that I ever played the last two but the puzzles are good fun and none of the others has as big of a “just one color” area as this one.

(When I take it apart I will put the corners into separate little bags, not doing that from scratch again)

To make it fit for this thread somehow the latest Dune expansion—CHOAM and something—made it into the order.

10 Likes

Bought some hard to finds:

7 Ronins

Coyote - SVWAG mentioned this one and I’m totally fine with buying small box card games.

Primordial Soup - this one was a fire-and-forget on eBay. Won it as no one competed.

Crime Hotel - deduction trick-taking. You solve which room the murder took place. Weird premise, but the trick taking bit is interesting. You eliminate possibilities by playing the cards, which are the rooms themselves. So you need to be careful which one you play. But you need to play in order to be the highest or the lowest card in order to place a bet on the hotel. You can bet which floor, which column of rooms, or which room it is. More points, the riskier your bet is.

Shobu

Others:

Free Ride

Excavation Earth - no no no no. Not a purchase. Got this for free.

1848: Australia - another 18xx title from GMT Games.

Caesar: Seize Rome in 20 Minutes!

Magic Money - another Indie Board & Cards small box game. Why not?

18 New England - been talking about it how much I enjoy this so I bought it

6 Likes

5-Minute Mystery, real-time, co-op, what’s not to love?

1 Like

Yeah that’s a fun one.

1 Like

With my girlfriend less likely to have the time to play board games over the next few months, I thought I better something up to solo. Picked up the Marvel Champions core box with the hope it would hit the spot. So far, very impressed with how it plays. A surprising amount of replayability in the initial set.

10 Likes

Brian Boru: High King of Ireland, saw it cheap (ish) on book depository, and it’s a game I was watching out for a bit.

5 Likes

Still true about the core set, but I feel like I’ve fallen down a Marvel Champions rabbit hole. Far too easy to spend money on this game. Is there a group round here for recovering LCG players?

1 Like

I’ve got all of it. It’s great. Does that help?

4 Likes

This pleasingly small box has arrived today

6 Likes

Not my bank balance, but I’m loving the game. Glad you’re still enjoying it after buying it all. Really hoping for some X-Men stuff soon.

3 Likes

Before my exercising on Saturday, I saw Long Shot: The Dice Game pop up on a shop almost in realtime (I had looked at it a bit earlier in the day and accidentally reloaded the page), and by the time I was done exercising an hour later all the copies were gone.

I was also looking at the new Terra Mystica Automa box that had just arrived at another one of my usual OLGS and put it in my cart to check later if they had anything else I wanted to get to “free shipping” and then I had dinner and by the time I got back… all the copies of the Automa box were gone.

So around midnight on Saturday I ordered the Automa box from another place that still had some–initially I thought to wait until I had time to go to FLGS… but Satuday was FOMO inducing…

1 Like