Last game you bought?

The days of me playing games on the floor are soooo over. Donā€™t remind me how old I am. (I think the last game we played on the floor was City of Chaos ca. 1996/97). Thinking back I canā€™t think of any game I played on a table during my childhood unless a creaky grown-up was involvedā€¦

4 Likes

I think my last time was in high school. Spending the night at a friendā€™s place, weā€™d often play a game late into the night on the floor of his room. Also at school during our gaming club, some games were just too big for a table (Battle Masters, mainly, but sometimes Axis & Allies).

2 Likes

I havenā€™t had the heart to open everything up to find out. Iā€™m scaredā€¦

EDIT: and yes, the days of laying on the floor are over. My children have learned the lesson: if they want to have a fully functional daddy, we play on the table.

6 Likes

First new acquisitions of the year arrived today! Super excited to give them a whirl :smiley:
unknown

11 Likes

But what about people with back, neck and face problems?

4 Likes

On the topic of floors, I would like to point out this particular post. :wink:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been mentally recovering from the new-borns-donā€™t-sleep phase of parenthood. Last night, the new one slept for ten hours, and my other two children both managed to go the entire night without waking up and crying because the kicked their blankets off. A full night of sleep means this is the first morning in a long while that I had ā€œspareā€ time to sit and think before starting work. And what did I think about? It was, of course, ā€œI have too many games.ā€

Iā€™m at the point where my shelves are completely full. I need to trim down the collection but need to play some games to figure out which ones make the cut. We were in isolation-mode for the last couple of months due to the new baby, but sheā€™s doing fine now and weā€™re starting to be more comfortable about taking risksā€¦ hopefully I can get some gaming done soon.

However, itā€™s hard to resist BGGā€™s new marketplace free shipping!

Itā€™s a Wonderful World: Heritage Edition ā€“ Iā€™ve been seeing glowing coverage of this in a number of communities. I bought it mostly as a solo experience, and only then when I found it for a great price (honestly I think the person I bought it from confused the price for the retail edition)

War of the Rings: Second Edition /w Lords of Middle-Earth and Warriors of Middle-Earth ā€“ I already owned War of the Rings, but with free shipping, Iā€™m hoping to be able to turn around and sell the extra copy and recoup most of the cost as a cheap (but complicated) way to pick up both of the expansions along with a promo or two.

Loopinā€™ Chewie ā€“ after the (quasi) success of playing this with my older kids, I decided to look into the 3d-printed 6-player mode. Currently contemplating trying to design my own 3d-printed adapter or just using the one freely available that requires drilling holes in the base.

A Billion Suns ā€“ My former neighbor and primary gaming opponent already has his fleet 3d-printed and has offered to help me print (on his resin printer) and paint a fleet for myself.

Honga ā€“ A Haba ā€œchildrenā€™sā€ game that received a very good critical reception, albeit somewhat short-lived (but that is the nature of this hobby). My kids are still quite young for this complex of a game, but Iā€™ve heard/read that itā€™ll keep a table of adults entertained.

Factory Funner (BoardGameTables edition) ā€“ I already owned a copy of Factory Funner that I had bought secondhand, but it was missing a number of tiles. This new edition by BoardGameTables looks great, and I do like to support local businesses.

Bear Raid ā€“ I picked this up direct from BGT as well because I love stock-holding and speculation games. The production, as usual for BGT, is spectacular. The deluxe components areā€¦ in disagreement with the size of the box. I think there is a PDF with tuckboxes that BGT provided that can help

World Without End ā€“ thus completes my Ken Follet game collection (but not really, because there was one that was only released in German, and thereā€™s an expansion I donā€™t own for Pillars of the Earth)

Cleopatraā€™s Caboose ā€“ the first, last, and only 18ā˜„ā˜„ (eighteen-ankh-ankh) game. Itā€™s a train game set in ancient Egypt ā€“ why wouldnā€™t I buy it?

Top Gun Strategy Game ā€“ I blame this one on Mark Bigney (SVWAG). Looks 80ā€™s-rad and I grew up watching Top Gun because it was one of my fatherā€™s favorite movies. I almost bought this secondhand. But then I did a price-check and found it even cheaper online.

Conquest of Paradise (Second Edition) ā€“ I have a tendency to listen/watch for people talking about solo-able 4x games. The second edition of this game came with a solo mode and it got a bit of fanfare in certain circles. I know very little about the geography or ancient cultures involved, but the game is a solid production (GMT, after all) and the solo mode looks quite interesting.

Mexica ā€“ finally found a SuperMeeple edition in the US for a reasonable price. Brand new, they were $50+ and going ā€œout of printā€ didnā€™t help anything. Between free-shipping and the used price, this was a steal for a beautiful production of a very interesting (looking, since I havenā€™t played it yet) Kramer & Kiesling game.

18MagyarorszĆ”g: Hungarian Railway History ā€“ Kickstarter pledge finally arrived, along with some extra tile trays for it and 1840, 1824, and 18CZ.

Blue Moon: The Pillar, Blue Moon: The Aqua, Blue Moon: Emissaries & Inquisitors ā€“ Blessings, Blue Moon: Emissaries & Inquisitors ā€“ Allies, Blue Moon: Buka Invasion ā€“ GameZenter ā€œfoundā€ some stock in the warehouse and put them up for a decent price (basically 10 year old pricingā€¦ which means the price is about what youā€™d pay in modern day if you were going through one of the discounted OGS). This completes my (tarot-size) Blue Moon collection except for 3 promos.

The Quest for El Dorado: The Golden Temples ā€“ Already own El Dorado (but not H&H) but read/heard that Golden Temples is a very robust experience on its own, and can be Voltronā€™d onto the base game.

Gods Love Dinosaurs ā€“ Another (cheap) one to blame on SVWAG. A nice family-weight game that I can probably get played with my partner.

Oriflamme: Ablaze ā€“ 3-5 players is a bit troubling, but Oriflamme caught my attention after SUSDā€™s coverage. This is an expand-alone that I got for practically free. Totally prepared to cut it loose if needed, but itā€™s a lovely small box.

The Hobbit ā€“ seldom-discussed Knizia title with a setting that I like, even if it is a waifer-thin veneer.

Concordia: Solitaria ā€“ Iā€™ve been looking to get Concordia played some more, so hopefully this will allow me. Iā€™ve heard really good things about this expansion, but also heard that it may be easy to learn its tells over the course of a few plays.

Cellulose: A Plant Cell Biology Game ā€“ Kickstarter arrival. Iā€™ve tried a Genius Games game in the past (Subatomic: An Atom Building Game) and was not impressed. But this one seems different and Iā€™m excited to get it played. Solo mode included! Now I just need the spare brain power to learn it.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game ā€“ The Dark of Mirkwood ā€“ I have a modest collection of LOTRLCG products already, and this one brings some attention to the early content to bring it more in-line with the caliber of the more recent content

The Great Zimbabwe ā€“ this pre-order was placed over a year ago. It finally came! I forgot that Splotter makes not-huge games.

Spirit Island: Jagged Earth ā€“ this was held along with TGZ. I havenā€™t explored nearly even half of the rest of the Spirit Island content I ownā€¦

Unicorn Fever w/Royal Hooves ā€“ Unicorn Fever was also held by TGZā€™s pre-order. But when they sent the order, they sent me the expansion instead of the base game. A quick email with their customer support offered another tracking number for the base game, and an invitation to keep the mistakenly-sent expansion.

Rail Barons of the World ā€“ another Kickstarter arrival. This time a solo-mode for Railways of Nippon (which means I can finally get it played!)

Looking back at this list, a lot of it was solo-oriented. Thatā€™s me coming to grips with the fact that my primary gaming opponent is now much farther away than he was pre-pandemic, and my partner doesnā€™t have the headspace for gaming after spending her days taking care of our 3 children.

11 Likes

Pine-Sol ved!

Kids sleeping bag has been one of the best investments weā€™ve made.

Also: What a very Pillbox post. Iā€™m inferring from the context that you had a few minutes of free time and bought 31 games and expansions that you canā€™t play.

9 Likes

Ooh, good idea!

Unfortunately, my two oldest each have 2 special blankets they use every night. My partner knitted each of them a blanket that we gave them when they started sleeping in their own crib at night, and then a ā€œthemedā€ (oldest: Minnie Mouse; middle: Hello Kitty; reflecting what they were ā€œintoā€ at that particular point in their life) blanket that we gave them, ostensibly, when they started sleeping without diapers, but it more closely coincided with when they started potty training.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

For context, that post covers both February and most of March (and I donā€™t expect much more to arrive in March). Admittedly, those 2 months of purchases is more than some people will buy in a 2 years. There was definitely some retail (and secondhand?) therapy happening while I was coping with having a new born in the house again.

10 Likes

February 28th and March 1st. Hey, itā€™s two months!!

2 Likes

Fast and Furious Highway Heist, was on sale. Iā€™ve seen a few of the movies, theyā€™re ok I guess. Game sounds like dumb fun.

2 Likes

I use this line too

4 Likes

Iā€™d been interested in this ever since, and I placed an order this evening.

I also fell victim to too-tempting a sale a little while ago, and I picked up one of the official Pandemic spin-offs that Iā€™d not been meaning to get (Rising Tide ā€“ after Iā€™d previously settled on Fall of Rome as the only non-original-or-Legacy Pandemic I was going to purchase). I also have Forbidden Island in my collection, so itā€™s almost definitely overkillā€¦

2 Likes

Pandemic is a good system that I am still appreciating all these years later. I think it gets discounted sometimes because of the amount of spin-offs that exist. But looking through the coops I have, it is one of the better mechanisms for coops. I have my eye on Iberia when the German version comes in the next few months.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve played Solar Storm on BGA - seemed OK, didnā€™t seem to offer anything particularly new to the Pandemic pattern, but if the things it does are ones that appealā€¦

(For me Flash Point displaced Pandemic quite early in my modern-boardgaming career.)

Itā€™s substantially the form factor. Iā€™m not expecting a better Pandemic game; but as a small box which doesnā€™t need much table space, with a different theme, that I can solo, in a game style I enjoyā€¦ thereā€™s quite enough appeal there for me to want to see how I get on with it.

3 Likes

After struggling a bit with the huge blue areas (95% of the time it took to complete this puzzle I was brute forcing my way through blue), I ordered the last 3 of the series: Feast for Odin, Coopers Island and Reykholtā€”not that I ever played the last two but the puzzles are good fun and none of the others has as big of a ā€œjust one colorā€ area as this one.

(When I take it apart I will put the corners into separate little bags, not doing that from scratch again)

To make it fit for this thread somehow the latest Dune expansionā€”CHOAM and somethingā€”made it into the order.

10 Likes

Bought some hard to finds:

7 Ronins

Coyote - SVWAG mentioned this one and Iā€™m totally fine with buying small box card games.

Primordial Soup - this one was a fire-and-forget on eBay. Won it as no one competed.

Crime Hotel - deduction trick-taking. You solve which room the murder took place. Weird premise, but the trick taking bit is interesting. You eliminate possibilities by playing the cards, which are the rooms themselves. So you need to be careful which one you play. But you need to play in order to be the highest or the lowest card in order to place a bet on the hotel. You can bet which floor, which column of rooms, or which room it is. More points, the riskier your bet is.

Shobu

Others:

Free Ride

Excavation Earth - no no no no. Not a purchase. Got this for free.

1848: Australia - another 18xx title from GMT Games.

Caesar: Seize Rome in 20 Minutes!

Magic Money - another Indie Board & Cards small box game. Why not?

18 New England - been talking about it how much I enjoy this so I bought it

6 Likes

5-Minute Mystery, real-time, co-op, whatā€™s not to love?

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s a fun one.

1 Like