Is Discord completely fucked, or what?

Discord appears to be completely fucking unusable.

I can’t post until I claim my account, because my account is unclaimed.

I can’t claim my account because my e-mail is already registered.

Yeah, it’s pretty horrible. Standard nonexistent customer service if the automated paths won’t help you.

Plus all the data-combining badness of using Disqus or Reddit, in the way it wants to track you as a single entity across multiple unrelated places. And the voice chat is nearly as bad as Zoom (I’ve never used anything quite as bad as Zoom).

Naturally it is hugely popular.

2 Likes

Er, wut?

Seems fine to me.

2 Likes

I cannot use it at all. It won’t let me post until I do something it won’t let me do.

I have not had any problems with it. My feeling is that it is inferior to a traditional forum format for the almost entirely text-based purpose I use it for, but I have found it useful for getting quick answers to rules questions.

I remember my wife had a similar problem to the one you describe. She managed to sort it out after quite a bit of internet searching but I’m afraid I don’t recall what the answer was. Sorry. I hope you manage to sort it out soon if it is something that you need access to.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll bother.

1 Like

I had the same issue a few months back. I just deleted discord and started again from scratch, as when you get caught in that loop I couldn’t find a way out. Luckily I will get reinvited to the couple of active gaming discords I use for regular RPG sessions, and the rest I can live without.

I created a throwaway email account, and then updated my settings to my actual email once it was all confirmed. Things like this should be much easier to organise/give away all your personal data to.

What I hate most about Discord is scrolling.

I lurk on quite a number of game-related servers. There are more than can fit vertically on selection frame. And I can’t scroll down. I know there is a keyboard shortcut, but it doesn’t work consistently for me.

Some of the servers have a lot of channels, too many than can fit vertically on the selection frame. I can scroll down if I put my cursor on the 2 pixels (or so it seems) that activate the scroll bar.

The text scroll of a channel is easier to find/use and it is no worse than Slack (which I use at work).

Maybe all my problems would disappear if I had a traditional mouse with a scroll wheel, but I don’t.