I no longer think it is too early to talk about Christmas. Wishlists, what are you giving and any other Christmas/ Winter chat

Dropping a song here as well

1 Like

Trimming up

Yep, we don’t do classy colour schemes

Note the new tree topper

6 Likes

I had 4 Secret Santas this year, and while most of the top of my wishlist were games that were only being released after Black Friday, three Santas got games further down the list.

Which means, I guess it’s up to me to get my Must Have games this year!

• Merv
  • Ginkgopolis
  • Praga Caput Regni
  • The Search For Planet X
  • Pandemic Legacy: Season 0

I think I have barely enough store credits to get 4 of those. Praga might have to wait. Or maybe Pandemic LS0. I can’t decide yet.

5 Likes

Awesome gift! I just bought myself the Dyson Air Purifier + Hydrator, which was a commitment. It better work well for the next 20 years! :smile:

3 Likes

I think search for Planet X and merv are moving towards sold out if not already there. Good luck.

Merv is still on pre-order here, not having arrived yet. Planet X was sold out, but they’re taking pre-orders for the next shipment, which
could be months away, maybe. There’s no rush, really. Christmas is a made up deadline.

1 Like

You take that back!!!

My 11 year old has decided Search for Planet X sounds great. Hopefully it’ll be back in stock by his birthday in February

3 Likes

My advent calendar got off to a great start:

6 Likes

I got given an advent calendar by friends and it’s all plastic dinosaurs :smiley: (they gave my partner a tea one).

5 Likes

I think the muttering was reprint in january.

Just an aside: about a week ago the government here warned that (among other things) we should refrain from playing boardgames during the Christmas holidays
 I think it is kind of telling how much of a thing boardgames have always been and are that they felt it necessary to mention specifically those with “shared” game materials.

My calendars with images of my friends have arrived and partially been distributed and those who have them are happy. The rest will be handed over sometime this week. I am about to send my “travel” photo calendars to the printer–those are for us and the family. Usually would include photos from the trips we take
 this year those trips were way fewer and mostly closer to home than usual. Although it is not unusual for me to include one or two images from my hometown this year there are a few more of those.

Still, I am surprised–after spending a few hours collecting photos from all my calendars since 2005 to make a bestof–I found enough pictures from 2020 to make one with only current photos.

4 Likes

We had a similar board game warning here even though I don’t think board games are as big in the UK.

I find that very surprising. For all board games have never been bigger in the UK, I think that to the vast majority of people they’re still something they might do when they get together anyway (e.g. at a family Christmas or a work lunch break), not something they’d get together specifically in order to do.

Sorry, I think the intention was more when we relax the restrictions for Christmas don’t play board games with your family.

BBC article with advice on board games

Thanks! Interesting - I suspect the difference would be quite minor in practice, but getting the research approved would be hard work at the best of times.

1 Like

I wonder how many people will be following the advice to keep their windows open

1 Like

I would but I don’t think the rest of my family will buy it! We’re only having my inlaws but as they are in a child care bubble with us already, I guess that is no extra risk!

2 Likes

We’ll do a voluntary 1 week quarantine (the plan is to not leave the apartment unless we really feel we need to take a walk. No (grocery or other) shopping, no errands, nothing and it’s not like we’re going to be meeting with anyone until then–it’s hi-bye for now or online. Because I don’t want to be the idiot who gives my dad covid just a month or so before he can get vaccinated (I am not optimistic about the general timeline here). We’ve seen him Fridays for an hour most weeks (when our risk evaluation of personal contacts allows this) but Christmas is going to be a bit longer so we want to be extra careful. Also of course for the rest of the family, but since they care way less than we do, I guess we’re more at risk catching it from them–which is why we have a sequence of who we meet when.

Sigh. Wish we could just skip the whole thing already. This is as usual, although for different reasons, the most stressful time of the year which is why I am off now to make crumpets.

6 Likes

I’m sure you’ve all been on tenterhooks for the results of our £10 challenge!

Something beginning with C
I bought The Commitments soundtrack
I got a Chris Evans (Captain America version)

Something bright
I bought light up chopsticks
I got a Christmas light/ tinsel for my beard

Something orange
I bought an orange lip gloss
I got a commemorative coin from when Donald Trump met Kim Jong-Un

Something that smells good
I bought a block for a tealight burner that smells of Petrichor (smell of summer rain)
I got some scratch n sniff stickers

Something for the future
I bought (well printed) a blue plaque to commemorate my future death (killed by a falling piano if you must know)
I got the book of Nostradamus’s prophecies

Also, my in laws bought me a sausage maker. Not something I’ve ever desired, but 2021 will be the year of experimental sausages.

Merry Christmas/ Nadolig Llawen/ Joyeux Noël everyone

8 Likes

Sorry, it is once again too early to talk about Christmas.

8 Likes